Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blockbusters (Cullen Ques)  (Read 3835 times)

jrjgames

Blockbusters (Cullen Ques)
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:58:19 PM »
Wactching old BB on GSN...two quick questions I never understood...

1) Why did the top and bottom letters on the big board seem to be cut off and different then the others?

2) Was there any reason for Bill's podium to slide to the left when the player podium extended?

John

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 01:39:48 PM »
1. I'm guessing they found it easier to get a tight shot on the entire board that way. Either that or it's a design flaw and they just didn't feel like going to the expense of fixing the board.

2. I thought about that for a while and I'm guessing it's there in case Bill's button malfunctions. If you look at the floor, you'll see the player podium and the extraneous wall are joined by a mechanism that looks like scissors. If Bill's button didn't work, I'm guessing a stagehand could sneak onstage, pull that extra wall, and make the podium slide out without being seen on camera.

Both of those answers are blind guesses, it should be noted. I just felt chatty.

geno57

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 03:43:35 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Jan 23 2005, 12:58 PM\']Wactching old BB on GSN...two quick questions I never understood...

1) Why did the top and bottom letters on the big board seem to be cut off and different then the others?

[snapback]72508[/snapback]
[/quote]

I asked this question on (you should pardon the expression) a.t.g-s a few years ago. Nobody came up with a good answer. It always seemed weird to me though!

Having the extra couple of inches in height, would not affect the ability to get a tight shot on the board. The board was much higher than it was wide.

Any other theories?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 05:21:03 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Jan 23 2005, 12:58 PM\']Wactching old BB on GSN...two quick questions I never understood...
[/quote]

I think there was some kind of mechanical issue. The white and red "endzones" were designed to move out of the way when the board set up for the Gold Run...I think the red ones raised and lowered while the white ones were on hinges that swung open to reveal the Gold Run endzones. So it could be that when the board was built, the reds slide in a little too far, and that's what makes that very slight cutoff on the board.

Do you notice this happening during Gold Run as well? If you do, then it's prolly something else, but that's my guess based on what I've seen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 05:21:19 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe