Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Language Barrier-less Shows  (Read 2896 times)

TimK2003

Language Barrier-less Shows
« on: January 18, 2005, 10:17:46 PM »
After seeing an episode of the Univision version of LMAD, I noticed that I had little trouble following the episode as to what is generally happening, or what decision(s) a contestant has to make.  (And though I spent 3 years in High School Spanish -- I probably remember more from watching Sesame Street 10 years prior to HS).

Anyhoo, does anyone know of any other game shows that can be easily translated & understood from any language, besides LMAD.

The many worldwide non-English versions of TPiR are harder to understand, simply because although the games may be the same, but the pricing may be much different.  And word shows like Wheel, or trivia shows like J! are also difficult because you have to know their language to really play.

sshuffield70

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 10:20:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Jan 18 2005, 10:17 PM\']After seeing an episode of the Univision version of LMAD, I noticed that I had little trouble following the episode as to what is generally happening, or what decision(s) a contestant has to make.  (And though I spent 3 years in High School Spanish -- I probably remember more from watching Sesame Street 10 years prior to HS).

Anyhoo, does anyone know of any other game shows that can be easily translated & understood from any language, besides LMAD.

The many worldwide non-English versions of TPiR are harder to understand, simply because although the games may be the same, but the pricing may be much different.  And word shows like Wheel, or trivia shows like J! are also difficult because you have to know their language to really play.
[snapback]71858[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I'm not sure if "Caras Y Gestos" counts.  As the name might suggest, it was a charades game.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 10:25:32 PM »
Some of the older Univision shows, like "TVO" and "Llevatelo" were pretty easy to understand.  Just get to the finish line riding the tricycle with the cylinder of green liquid on your head without spilling it, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Fedya

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 10:59:21 PM »
Any foreign-language versions of Treasure Hunt out there?  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

dzinkin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 11:29:08 PM »
Having watched the clip of Camouflage provided by Mr. Klauss, I think that game would translate well to multiple languages.  Specifically: nonsense, twaddle, gibberish and drivel. :-)

JamesVipond

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »
Mr. Owen's post made me think of another show that could be understood in any language: Beat the Clock.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 12:55:48 PM »
Name That Tune might be close, especially if you know how to count backwards....
en tres notes....
en dos....

Then again, I've never had any trouble understanding the British version of "Whose Line?"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

J.R.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 03:03:28 PM »
Definity "WWTBAM?". Since the production company has very strict rules regarding format.

You could watch the show in Australia, Germany or Japan, and since all use the exact same style, you can easliy follow the show. (You can tell by the music the player is on Question 9, the "final answer" goes to orange, etc.)

-Joe R.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 03:04:27 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor