Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DUMB QUESTION  (Read 4960 times)

whewfan

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 06:43:11 PM »
Uh... yes, I did. Ok, sue me, I was bored!

Basically, just pop in any ep. of Family Feud and when the camera zooms out from the logo to a wide shot of the set, and pause the tape when all the lights are lit... that makes them easier to count.

Really, all you have to do is divide the board in half, and count the lights in sections. Both halves have the same number of bulbs, so just count one side and multiply by 2.

BrandonFG

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 11:27:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 05:05 PM\']I can't believe I'm contributing to this one, but, um, Press Your Luck's set I do believe had more. And no, I'm not going to count them.
[snapback]72139[/snapback]
[/quote]

I actually always wondered about those lights. On the contestant island, there were sets of chasing lights that appeared more like "rings" than anything. Anyone have any clue how that light pattern was done?

No, I'm not off my meds.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 11:54:30 PM »
This I wonder. Could 1.5 million colors of light on Bonus Island have saved Bullseye?
And I believe the award for biggest light bulbs goes to Body Language.
And the award for LBJFLB (Light Bulbs Just For Light Bulbs) goes to the nighttime version of Jeopardy! in 1974-75.

Jay Temple

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 12:52:33 AM »
I would think that both Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak (in the bonus round) and $50,000 Grand Slam used more lights than any of these.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 01:17:47 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 09:27 PM\']I actually always wondered about those lights. On the contestant island, there were sets of chasing lights that appeared more like "rings" than anything. Anyone have any clue how that light pattern was done?
[/quote]
Yeah. The "ring" is a plastic translucent diffuser. The actual bulb is underneath it, and when it lights up, it illuminates the entire diffuser.

Lots of electronic produicts have something similar. Unfortunately the best example I can think of off of the top of my head is a Game Boy Advance, and I would imagine not too many of y'all have opened those up. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 10:21:34 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 01:17 AM\']Lots of electronic produicts have something similar. Unfortunately the best example I can think of off of the top of my head is a Game Boy Advance, and I would imagine not too many of y'all have opened those up. :)
[snapback]72214[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not unless you installed one of those 3rd party backlights for them....

ObGameShow: WoF was made for the original GameBoy. :)

ITSBRY

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 10:52:08 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 20 2005, 11:27 PM\']I actually always wondered about those lights. On the contestant island, there were sets of chasing lights that appeared more like "rings" than anything. Anyone have any clue how that light pattern was done?

No, I'm not off my meds.
[snapback]72201[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you mean, but I think I do because I always thought that they were neon circles or something.  You can see that they are large clear round bulbs (like the ones in bathroom vanity light fixtures) because they are open on each end.  If you look closely, you can see the 'banks' of bulbs when the turntable spins.  I think the "ring" effect is created by the frosted panels that overlay the bulbs.

I know this topic might seem dumb, but I've always been facinated by lights and light patterns in game show sets and for that matter any of the 'nuts and bolts', how it works kinda stuff.  It's cool!  Ok, maybe I'm just distracted by shiny things.

Seriously, I'd love to know how it all works.  Does a computer program the blinking patterns?  How do they change them? (like 25K Pyramid did early in it's run).

I can imagine with sets being struck and moved over and over that bulbs would get smashed and/or burn out all the time.  There had to have been a constant battle to keep them all working in shows with sets that had lots of lights.

I can remember HR87 having one bulb on the Big Number board that always seemed to be 'out'.  It always stuck out like a sore thumb to me because the crawling lights would look strange in that area.

On a side note, some of the Dawson feud episodes have a streak of blue paint on the brown "rail" surrounding the board stage left.  I always wondered if that was a quick repair job done before a taping.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »
I always thought that "Face The Music" needed just a couple more chase lights on the set.

Then again... maybe not.  :-)
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Casey

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 08:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Jan 21 2005, 10:56 AM\']I always thought that "Face The Music" needed just a couple more chase lights on the set.

Then again... maybe not.  :-)
[snapback]72251[/snapback]
[/quote]
The just needed chase lights that actually worked.  (especially behind the door Ron walked out of).

Regarding Face the Music's lights... For the first season and half of the second, the lighted arches behind the band were different from those behind the contestant, in that every other light in the series stayed on continuously.  They also didn't dim down like the rest of the lights did.  I had assumed that this was maybe so the band could have extra lighting because they didn't turn on the stage lights in that area unless the band was shown on camera playing.  This made them look very out of place when chasing because they just sorta skipped weirdly.  Midway through the second season they changed them to work exactly like all of the rest of the lights and I was always curious about why they decided out of the blue to change it.  It was about the same time that they started to give away Chrysler vehicles rather than Datsuns...

(Wow, way too much free time given to Face the Music lately) :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 05:51:48 PM by isucgv »

ChuckNet

DUMB QUESTION
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005, 12:59:27 AM »
(Wow, way too much free time given to Face the Music lately) :)

Nothing wrong w/that! :-)

Chuck Donegan (The FtM-Loving "Chuckie Baby")