Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ken Jennings has joined Encarta  (Read 6277 times)

Matt Ottinger

Ken Jennings has joined Encarta
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2005, 03:09:25 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 03:19 PM\']Nice reads for sure. Ken's scariest moment was the 49th show? I thought for sure it was when he played Matt?[/quote]
Thanks, but his explanation makes sense.  The way things worked out in that game, the second-place player was close enough to him that if the guy in second wagered smartly (which he did), Ken HAD to get FJ right to win, even if the guy in second missed.  That's pressure he didn't have to face much in his streak.

The way things worked out in our game (notably Ken's big $6000 jump on a late Daily Double, plus another $6000 swing because I didn't know how to pronounce 'Katzenjammer'), I wasn't quite that close.  Therefore, on a stumper, he'd still win.  Objectively, you might say that I gave him a better run for his money the entire game, but by the time the dust settled, I wasn't quite close enough.

My great regret, as I've mentioned before, is that if I HAD been a little closer, I could have claimed the Malcolm jackpot!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

OntarioQuizzer

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 03:23:36 PM »
[quote name=\'trivia202003\' date=\'Jan 25 2005, 08:33 PM\']Ken Jennings has joined Encarta here's the link to it.

http://encarta.msn.com/list_kenjennings/KenJennings.html
[snapback]73108[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm surprised that with all the flaming that went on about this post that nobody mentioned that this is news from nearly two months ago.

In fact, I'd say that more recent news on the subject at hand is that Ken has signed a deal with APB Speakers (http://www.apbspeakers.com/)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2005, 03:35:06 PM »
[quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 01:23 PM\']I'm surprised that with all the flaming that went on about this post that nobody mentioned that this is news from nearly two months ago.
[/quote]
I did, actually. Second post. You didn't see it, and clearly (and unsurprisingly), he didn't get it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

OntarioQuizzer

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 03:36:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 04:35 PM\'][quote name=\'OntarioQuizzer\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 01:23 PM\']I'm surprised that with all the flaming that went on about this post that nobody mentioned that this is news from nearly two months ago.
[/quote]
I did, actually. Second post. You didn't see it, and clearly (and unsurprisingly), he didn't get it.
[snapback]73271[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, I saw it...

I also did not get it. Explaining my own post.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 05:09:20 PM »
I doubt, in some cases, a lot of people remember a lot of Chevy Chase doing Weekend Update on SNL. I got it.

The Woolery part needs a little explanation, at least for me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:09:33 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 05:18:13 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 03:09 PM\']I doubt, in some cases, a lot of people remember a lot of Chevy Chase doing Weekend Update on SNL. I got it.

The Woolery part needs a little explanation, at least for me.
[snapback]73289[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, you guys are newish, so some of the in-lingo might get by you.,

There's an infamous episode of Greed where a contestant screws the pooch for his team by not knowing that Chuck Woolery hosted WOF, when Woolery was standing approximately six feet to his left. Somehow, that got turned into using the phrase "Woolery left Wheel" to respond to any chucklehead who posts news that, well, isn't news.

I didn't bother finishing the statement because this guy is so oblivious that I felt my IQ dropping with each character I typed to him.

Does that clear it up at all? :)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2005, 06:53:54 PM »
I just want to add that it took the combined mental powers of TWO Greed players to screw up that question, with the "answer and confirm" format.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

zachhoran

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 07:25:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 06:53 PM\']I just want to add that it took the combined mental powers of TWO Greed players to screw up that question, with the "answer and confirm" format.
[snapback]73306[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not to mention one of the players saying that he followed Chuck's career for years.

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2005, 08:03:18 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 04:25 PM\']Not to mention one of the players saying that he followed Chuck's career for years.
[snapback]73317[/snapback]
[/quote]
...and that they were there specifically to show off their knowledge of television trivia.

Esoteric Eric; I'm sore as heck... but that's 'cause I worked out last night for the first time in three months ((8=D))
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2005, 11:35:18 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 26 2005, 05:25 PM\']Not to mention one of the players saying that he followed Chuck's career for years.
[snapback]73317[/snapback]
[/quote]
But it didn't stop you, did it?