Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for "Wheel" cues  (Read 4696 times)

kidsplash

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:46:41 PM »
I'm really thinking about creating my own version of "Wheel of Fortune" so I need a couple of cues including the shopping music, the most recent theme music, and the famous "WHEEL...OF...FORTUNE!!" audience chant (from the beginning of every show)! If there are any "Wheel" cues on the Internet, please link them. I already have The original "Wheel" theme (Big Wheels 1975-83), "Changing Keys" (1983-1989) "Changing Keys" jazzed-up version (1989-1992) and another CK jazzed-up version with guitar (1992-1994).

SimpsonGeek

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 04:31:15 PM »

Steve Gavazzi

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 05:01:38 PM »
Sean, I'm gonna tell ya...if you're going to create this game from the ground up with no programming background to go on, you're nowhere near needing to worry about the music yet.

jrjgames

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 05:18:12 PM »
[quote name=\'SimpsonGeek\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 04:31 PM\']http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/ClassicWheelofFortune/
[snapback]73854[/snapback]
[/quote]

The 89 master closing doesnt work...anyone have it?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 05:58:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 03:01 PM\']Sean, I'm gonna tell ya...if you're going to create this game from the ground up with no programming background to go on, you're nowhere near needing to worry about the music yet.
[snapback]73859[/snapback]
[/quote]
He's right. More power to you for taking on such an ambitious project, but I've been programming off and on for a good 20 years now, and I wouldn't have the first inkling how to go about writing such an animal. Fifteen years ago, in high school, I did a very simplistic text-based version of PYL in Turbo Pascal, and writing the routine that handled the situation when a player passed their spins took the better part of two weeks. Just that bit.

Again, best of luck to you, but I find that working on smaller projects you can actually see tangible results on sooner is a better way to learn how to code.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BigJon06

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 08:22:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 05:01 PM\']Sean, I'm gonna tell ya...if you're going to create this game from the ground up with no programming background to go on, you're nowhere near needing to worry about the music yet.
[snapback]73859[/snapback]
[/quote]

Boy do i remember those days with WOF,
one of the HARDEST THINGS TO DO, is just placing the puzzle on the board (in the middle).  You oughta see my code..

clemon79

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 09:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 06:22 PM\']Boy do i remember those days with WOF,
one of the HARDEST THINGS TO DO, is just placing the puzzle on the board (in the middle).  You oughta see my code..
[snapback]73900[/snapback]
[/quote]
I happen to know some folks close to the WOF game on Microsoft's Zone.com website, and I can tell you they didn't even deal with this: puzzles are submitted to them from the Wheel writing staff in matrix form, the way they are to appear on the game board. Said puzzles are coded straight across into 2x2 arrays.

BigJon06

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 09:19 PM\'][quote name=\'BigJon06\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 06:22 PM\']Boy do i remember those days with WOF,
one of the HARDEST THINGS TO DO, is just placing the puzzle on the board (in the middle).  You oughta see my code..
[snapback]73900[/snapback]
[/quote]
I happen to know some folks close to the WOF game on Microsoft's Zone.com website, and I can tell you they didn't even deal with this: puzzles are submitted to them from the Wheel writing staff in matrix form, the way they are to appear on the game board. Said puzzles are coded straight across into 2x2 arrays.
[snapback]73911[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, that'd make it easy.  Of course thats one thing my game adds, especially in the puzzle editor, you just type what you want, and it fits it on the board automatically... GO ME! LOL

GS Warehouse

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 11:25:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 05:58 PM\']... Fifteen years ago, in high school, I did a very simplistic text-based version of PYL in Turbo Pascal, and writing the routine that handled the situation when a player passed their spins took the better part of two weeks. Just that bit. ...
[snapback]73870[/snapback]
[/quote]
You should have seen my first PYL game.  I wrote it in BASIC on an Atari 800 in the late-80s.  It was just a one-player, text-based game, but I did get the screen to change color with each Whammy: green, yellow, red, black.  When I discovered MS QBasic in the early 90s, my first PYL games were still crude--still solo-player with block graphics and hard-coded game boards.  Even after I discovered Visual Basic in 1998, my first PYL draft looked nothing like my PYL GameControl today. (I had no idea the squares on the board really were square--and I never noticed that TV monitors--which I experimented with replacating long before Whammy! came along--had a 4:3 aspect.)  Even now I'm still finding new programming aspects, including a way to hold the game board's "slides" in memory so they don't need to be repainting "on the fly" during a spin.  Furthermore, two years of working in RPG (not that RPG) at my old job made me appreciate modular programming.  More recently, with the help of my old college textbooks, I developed a multipurpose module for simulating playing cards.  And who knows what else I could do, especially if I was better in graphic arts.  What I'm getting at with this long post above is sometimes making games is a neverending quest.

roadgeek

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 12:13:06 AM »
How many computer versions of PYL have been written?!  This is like the "hello world" of the game show community!  :-D

I've written three versions of PYL myself, learning lots about programming each time.  My first version was for the TI-85 graphing calculator: "spinning" was nothing more than picking a number between 1 and 3 for each of the squares and displaying its result, then picking a number between 1 and 18 and sticking an asterisk next to that square.  Updating scores was done in a GameControl kind of way.

Number 2 was written in QBasic and had 4 hard-coded boards available.  It used ASCII characters, but looked and spun like a real board, and made random beeps as it spun. The latest version is for Windows, which was finished this past Christmas, and put the other two to shame.  A student organization from Central Michigan University is planning to use this version for a school-sponsored charity game, with the proceeds going to the victims of the tsunami.

Anyway, I'll second Jason's sentiments about it being a never-ending quest.  After you figure out how to do something, you'll find out that you can (almost) always do it better and faster another way!

zachhoran

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 12:13 AM\']How many computer versions of PYL have been written?!  This is like the "hello world" of the game show community!  :-D

[snapback]73939[/snapback]
[/quote]

And I suspect most were of at least the quality of the Gametek version :)

clemon79

Looking for "Wheel" cues
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 11:46:02 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 06:08 AM\']And I suspect most were of at least the quality of the Gametek version :)
[snapback]73951[/snapback]
[/quote]
"not...talking...about....me....must...interject....myself..."