Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canadian Game Shows  (Read 6162 times)

danis

Canadian Game Shows
« on: January 30, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any Canadian quiz style game shows. All the good one are in the states, and since I'm not a US resident or want to forefit half my earnings to the government, I want to play a Canadian game and win some $$$!!

Are there any game shows out there for me to find out about???? Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 09:33:31 PM by danis »

OntarioQuizzer

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:35:05 PM »
[quote name=\'danis\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 02:32 PM\']Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any Canadian quiz style game shows. All the good one are in the states, and since I'm not a US resident or want to forefit half my earnings to the government, I want to play a Canadian game and win some $$$!!

Are there any game shows out there for me to find out about???? Thanks!!
[snapback]73595[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, there's the French-language Vingt-et-un on TVA based out of Montreal...

Other than that, the only Canadian quiz show that I'm aware of on Canadian television is Reach For The Top, which you're likely too old for (as it's a high-school quiz bowl).  Smart Ask, the CBC-produced Reach clone, was cancelled after last season.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 05:35:48 PM by OntarioQuizzer »

vtown7

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 08:49:30 PM »
Vingt-et-un isn't taking anymore applications for the current season, FYI.

Hoping to go see a taping in March break if everything goes right...

Ryan :)

EDIT: You know, going on an American game show isn't that bad... sure, taxes took away about ~$8000 of my Wheel of Fortune winnings, but I got about $5500 of that back.  It's worth doing!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 08:53:28 PM by vtown7 »

danis

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 09:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 08:49 PM\']Vingt-et-un isn't taking anymore applications for the current season, FYI.

Hoping to go see a taping in March break if everything goes right...

EDIT: You know, going on an American game show isn't that bad... sure, taxes took away about ~$8000 of my Wheel of Fortune winnings, but I got about $5500 of that back.  It's worth doing!
[snapback]73620[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh, I didn't know that you can get on American quiz shows if you aren't a US resident! Or is there a trick to do that? If not, what are some shows that don't require you to be a US resident?

zachhoran

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 11:08:56 PM »
[quote name=\'danis\' date=\'Jan 30 2005, 09:32 PM\']

Oh, I didn't know that you can get on American quiz shows if you aren't a US resident! Or is there a trick to do that? If not, what are some shows that don't require you to be a US resident?
[snapback]73622[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the only US show that currently does not allow Canadians as contestants is Millionaire, or have they waived that requirement since they went to syndication? Bob Blake and Robert Slaven were five-time champions on J!. There are quite a few Canucks on TPIR and some on WOF.

vtown7

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »
Yes, that's correct, Millionaire only allows Americans - anyone know a postal address to write to them about that?

J! and WoF both did tryouts in 96 in Toronto... that's the last time they've been up here.  TPIR allows Canadians as well.

As a rule, you can't be a Canadian and get on the reality shows such as Survivor, Race, Big Bother, etc.  I think I saw someone on WB Superstar USA but I think we can agree that it's not a show you necessarily want to be on.

In essence you're going to have to shell out to go to LA or somewhere else for tryouts.

Cheers,

Ian Wallis

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 11:05:47 AM »
As a rule, you can't be a Canadian and get on the reality shows such as Survivor, Race, Big Bother, etc. I think I saw someone on WB Superstar USA but I think we can agree that it's not a show you necessarily want to be on.

I've seen Canadians on "Fear Factor", but most would agree that's more of a game show than anything else.

Interestingly, that's one of only a handful of game shows to have reruns syndicated - although I hear the ratings aren't very good.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 11:33:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:05 AM\']
As a rule, you can't be a Canadian and get on the reality shows such as Survivor, Race, Big Bother, etc. I think I saw someone on WB Superstar USA but I think we can agree that it's not a show you necessarily want to be on.

I've seen Canadians on "Fear Factor", but most would agree that's more of a game show than anything else.

Interestingly, that's one of only a handful of game shows to have reruns syndicated - although I hear the ratings aren't very good.
[snapback]73668[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's the first national game show, if you do indeed want to call Fear Factor a game show, to be in syndicated reruns on a national level since Combs Feud in 1993-94(double runs of Combs Feud some stations aired included a rerun from a previous season)

BrandonFG

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »
How many times will Dan Rather will get diarrhea of the mouth during TPIR between now and his March retirement?

With the totally useless info you just gave, I find this sig. to be highly ironic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:37:49 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tyshaun1

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 11:44:40 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:36 AM\']
How many times will Dan Rather will get diarrhea of the mouth during TPIR between now and his March retirement?

With the totally useless info you just gave, I find this sig. to be highly ironic.
[snapback]73677[/snapback]
[/quote]

LOL. Hence my sig.
      l
      l
      l
      l
    \ l/

zachhoran

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 11:49:42 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:44 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:36 AM\']

[snapback]73677[/snapback]
[/quote]

LOL. Hence my sig.
      l
      l
      l
      l
    \ l/
[snapback]73680[/snapback]
[/quote]

Any reason why you like MY sigs :)

WrenCanada

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »
I was just wondering why Canadians are not allowed on some U.S. gameshows.
Just a question.  I mean, is it the Canadian lottery laws or other reason(s)?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 01:55:58 PM by WrenCanada »

BrandonFG

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 02:29:58 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:49 AM\']Any reason why you like MY sigs :)
[snapback]73682[/snapback]
[/quote]

Umm...where did you get the idea that we like you...r sigs? Sorry to deflate your ego, but I didn't see anything like that from either Tyshaun or me. All I can do is laugh at the irony behind your sig, and trust me, I'm not laughing with you.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2005, 02:46:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\' sig file\']How many times will Zach Horan get diarrhea of the mouth during TPIR between now and- oh never mind.[/quote]

[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:49 AM\']Any reason why you like MY sigs :)
[snapback]73682[/snapback]
[/quote]
As Simon Cowell would say, that's not a compliment.

uncamark

Canadian Game Shows
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2005, 05:10:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Jan 31 2005, 11:05 AM\']

[snapback]73668[/snapback]
[/quote]

Depends on who you're hearing from--FX is happy with the numbers from the cable run, but the syndie run numbers aren't as good (although NBC Universal's spinning that it's the number one off-network strip hour, which would be great except it's the *only* off-network strip hour with barter/cash-plus ads).  Since the cable contract provides for airing on any Fox-owned cable channel, it's probably going to be the centerpiece of Fox Reality Channel when it launches in a few months, since Fremantle won't allow repeats or repackagings of "Idol."