Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Further erasures...  (Read 4578 times)

Ian Wallis

Further erasures...
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:11:03 AM »
We know most of what exists via GSN, and we have pretty a pretty good idea about a lot of what exists outside of GSN.  It's been said that certain shows - like the original "Squares" for example - there is just no viable market for at present.
So my question is:  even in this "500-channel universe", if there's no market for something, are we in danger of having more erasures in the future?

It's been proven that a number of shows still exist but are on a tape format no longer used.  They are also being stored *somewhere* at present and taking up a certain amount of space.  What's to stop them from erasing - or just dumping - the original found "Squares" tapes (for example) since nobody currently wants to air them?

Any thoughts?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Further erasures...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »
I thought there was an FCC mandate around 1985 of so that abolished the practice of tape erasure? I could be wrong, but have heard someone say something along these lines before...

Jimmy Owen

Further erasures...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:09:22 AM »
When I was a kid, I was under the notion that copyrightable works had to be registered with the U.S. Copyright office with one copy for the Library of Congress or some such thing.  If all else fails, we could always open a salt mine.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

Further erasures...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 10:59:01 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 07:00 AM\']I thought there was an FCC mandate around 1985 of so that abolished the practice of tape erasure? I could be wrong, but have heard someone say something along these lines before...

Nicholas J. Mooneyhan
Broadcasting Major at ETSU-- Go Bucs!
[snapback]73804[/snapback]
[/quote]
You are a broadcasting major and believe that the FCC has jurisdiction to abolish the practice of erasing videotapes? I humbly suggest that you get your tuition money back!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 11:01:48 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Further erasures...
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 12:01:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 08:59 AM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 07:00 AM\']I thought there was an FCC mandate around 1985 of so that abolished the practice of tape erasure?
[/quote]
You are a broadcasting major and believe that the FCC has jurisdiction to abolish the practice of erasing videotapes? I humbly suggest that you get your tuition money back!
[/quote]
It's the Bush administration, Randy....some Presidents get involved in Sex Ed, but this guy wants the kids today to think the FCC has way more power than it actually does. <hand wave> These are not the droids you're looking for.

Every so often this rumor rears its head (do the idiots on the GSN board actually believe this crap? Does the Perfesser? How does this not get buried?), and every time we have to squash it the same way.

C'mon, folks. Use a little common sense. Yer embarrasing your broadcasting alumni who actually were paying attention in class.
I could be wrong, but have heard someone say something along these lines before...
Unfortunately, you missed the part where they were quickly ridiculed for being an abject moron.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Further erasures...
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 01:20:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 12:01 PM\']
I could be wrong, but have heard someone say something along these lines before...
Unfortunately, you missed the part where they were quickly ridiculed for being an abject moron.
[snapback]73819[/snapback]
[/quote]
You mean like this?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Further erasures...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 03:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 11:20 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 12:01 PM\']
[snapback]73819[/snapback]
[/quote]
You mean like this?
[snapback]73831[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow. How was I not involved in that thread?

Prolly 'cuz I had already dismissed Rhom as an abject moron well before that shining moment.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CarShark

Further erasures...
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 05:04:48 PM »
...? N'Zink? "Moronionaire"? Why do I feel like I missed the best part of the message board experience?

tyshaun1

Further erasures...
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 06:22:43 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 05:04 PM\']...? N'Zink? "Moronionaire"? Why do I feel like I missed the best part of the message board experience?
[snapback]73860[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you think it is crazy over here now, go look at some archives of ATGS. The criticism you may take here is a WALK IN THE PARK compared to those days.

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

Further erasures...
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 07:19:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 06:22 PM\'][quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 05:04 PM\']...? N'Zink? "Moronionaire"? Why do I feel like I missed the best part of the message board experience?
[/quote]
If you think it is crazy over here now, go look at some archives of ATGS. The criticism you may take here is a WALK IN THE PARK compared to those days.

Tyshaun
[snapback]73881[/snapback]
[/quote]

{shameful plug}And check out a little thing called Low Dud Questions.{/shameful plug}
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Further erasures...
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 12:39:36 AM »
OK, OK! Can't I be allowed to be wrong every once in a while?

:-)

Don Howard

Further erasures...
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 10:14:04 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 10:00 AM\']I thought there was an FCC mandate around 1985 of so that abolished the practice of tape erasure?
[snapback]73804[/snapback]
[/quote]
You mean when I realized I already had that episode of Thrills and therefore erased the tape that I was in violation of the law? Please visit me in prison.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Further erasures...
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 10:34:28 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 04:04 PM\']...? N'Zink? "Moronionaire"? Why do I feel like I missed the best part of the message board experience?
[/quote]
Hey, I had about two years and change with them at the old place (until moving to these roomier quarters and its EZBoard predecessor).  I consider myself lucky to have had that much (Chuck Donegan was kind enough to say to me once here that I [among others] would've fit in fine had I known about ATGS earlier--I always appreciated that comment, even if I didn't say anything in response at the time [and yes, I should've--sorry, Chuckie]).  But even so, a little more than two years there when there still was some degree of sanity was a pretty good run.

There were threads like Chris L. mentioned that I also wish I had been involved in (of course, I spent the better part of three months lurking to try to get the house style).

Ah, memories.  But we're here now, and this is just as much of a kick.

And by-the-by, good job so far with the TPiR summaries.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robert Hutchinson

Further erasures...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 12:28:33 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' date=\'Feb 1 2005, 05:04 PM\']...? N'Zink? "Moronionaire"? Why do I feel like I missed the best part of the message board experience?[/quote]

If having a very low signal-to-noise-to-noiseaboutnoise ratio is one's idea of a good time, I suppose you could feel that way.

(Unless I mean a high ratio. Bleah.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin