Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Pat leaving Wheel when he hits 60?  (Read 8715 times)

digiblader

Is Pat leaving Wheel when he hits 60?
« on: February 01, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »
With the talk that Oprah Winfrey is calling it quits after 2011(her 25th season I believe.), I just thought of something I heard on these message boards previously..

I heard here that Pat Sajark said he doesn't want to be doing after he turns 60, which would likely make either this season or next his last..

Did he really say this? I'm not sure.. but in some ways I wouldn't mind seeing him depart from the show.

I mean, he always leaves the stage after a crowd of people come to hug the bonus round winner.. he didn't use to do this. Also, he NEVER lets his image be used in the board and video games.

Would you mind if Pat left Wheel next season?

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 11:45:07 PM »
I'll tell you what would be really something....And this has "pipe dream" written all over it.

Pat retiring, and Chuck Woolery taking his place.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 05:13:15 AM »
Yeah, Sony basically gave WOF another 5 years so by 2010, they might reconsider Pat's options.  Let's enjoy him now while we can(even though he can go a bit crazy sometimes).

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:52:48 AM »
Or better yet, Rolf Benirschke! :-) (Actually, I thought Rolf did a fine job under the circumstances!)

The thing is, if Pat ever left Wheel, chances are Vanna would soon follow.

Wheel still has some of the appeal it had 30 years ago, but I believe nowadays, it's appealing for different reasons.

20+ years ago, people tuned in just to salivate over what Vanna was wearing, and to see Pat Sajak's antics. Now, Vanna's just a little too old to be part of any guy's fantasy, and Pat just doesn't have the time he used to for those antics. I used to like it when he'd fool around with the prizes and props onstage.

I think Wheel's appeal today is with the big prizes, big money, and very bright set.
It may be satisfying for the younger, newer viewers, but those who watched Wheel from the beginning remember when it had a larger appeal.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 08:05:37 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 05:52 AM\']

20+ years ago, people tuned in just to salivate over what Vanna was wearing, and to see Pat Sajak's antics. Now, Vanna's just a little too old to be part of any guy's fantasy, and Pat just doesn't have the time he used to for those antics. I used to like it when he'd fool around with the prizes and props onstage.

[snapback]73946[/snapback]
[/quote]

A certain former ATGSer would disagree about Vanna.

Bob Goen would be a decent Sajak successor if the time comes. I mean, he does have two years of WOF experience under his belt.

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 08:29:09 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 08:05 AM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 05:52 AM\']

[/quote]

A certain former ATGSer would disagree about Vanna.

Bob Goen would be a decent Sajak successor if the time comes. I mean, he does have two years of WOF experience under his belt.
[snapback]73950[/snapback]
[/quote]

You know who I would love to see replace Vanna? There is no second choice but Rachel Reynolds of 'The Price Is Right.'

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 08:44:58 AM »
*Mind you, while I type this, I am stepping in PaulD's drool puddles...*

This is what I think.

As we all know, from hearing the phrase, and for some from the Charlie Sheen/Chris Tucker movie, money talks. Now, Pat may say that he doesn't want to do Wheel after he's 60, and if he wants to retire, I see no problem there. But I don't think that it's really going to happen for one reason and one reason alone...I doubt that the producers can see anyone else hosting the show at this point. Now, I know some people are going to tell me about Rolf and Goen (looking squarely at Horan when I say that), but that was then. It's 2005. The network version of Wheel is loooooooooong gone. In my opinion, there's no one out there who could do a capable enough job hosting Wheel. Sure, you could get somebody else to do it, and who the hell knows? They may be good, they may be bad. But the change may or may not help. Wheel is still on top, and I'm sure the producers want it to stay that way. As a result, they'll probably give Pat everything they can to convince him to stay. And he probably would, if only for a few years after that.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

whewfan

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 08:51:51 AM »
Bob Goen was ok on Wheel, but for me, Bob was just going through the motions. His style just didn't do it for me. Bob was definitely more prepared for Wheel than Rolf was, but when Pat Sajak surprised Bob on the first show, I secretly wished Pat would take the reins.

Mark Richards (host of the original Starcade) emailed me a while back. He was on WOF when Chuck Woolery was about to leave. Merv asked Mark if he'd like to be a contestant for a host they were auditioning to replace Chuck... the host.... Bob Eubanks. Can anyone imagine Eubanks doing Wheel?

I think Eubanks would feel a little restricted on Wheel. On Newlywed and Card Sharks, he had time to joke with the contestants, and play devil's advocate. Wheel has too much game content for Eubanks' style.

digiblader

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 09:05:42 AM »
Even if Pat doesn't leave, I can see Charlie O'Donell leaving within the next few years due to age.. how old is he now BTW? I mean, he's been doing the show for 16 seasons, not including the 70s-80s daytime shows he did previously.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 09:12:04 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 05:52 AM\']Now, Vanna's just a little too old to be part of any guy's fantasy,
[/quote]

Beg pardon?  A woman over 30 can't be an object of fantasy?  Please don't tell my wife.
czambo@mac.com

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 09:13:37 AM »
[quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 09:05 AM\']Even if Pat doesn't leave, I can see Charlie O'Donell leaving within the next few years due to age.. how old is he now BTW? I mean, he's been doing the show for 16 seasons, not including the 70s-80s daytime shows he did previously.
[snapback]73955[/snapback]
[/quote]

Charlie O is in his 70s. Remember that he goes back to the late 50s with Dick Clark; he was the first announcer on Bandstand when it went national. When a Who Is It? puzzle recently referred to Dick Clark, Pat mentioned about the CHarlie O and Dick connection(with a get well message to Dick from Pat going into the next commercial break, as the show had been taped before Dick's hospitalization)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 09:50:01 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 09:05 AM\']Even if Pat doesn't leave, I can see Charlie O'Donell leaving within the next few years due to age.. how old is he now BTW? I mean, he's been doing the show for 16 seasons, not including the 70s-80s daytime shows he did previously.
[/quote]

Charlie O is in his 70s. Remember that he goes back to the late 50s with Dick Clark; he was the first announcer on Bandstand when it went national. When a Who Is It? puzzle recently referred to Dick Clark, Pat mentioned about the CHarlie O and Dick connection(with a get well message to Dick from Pat going into the next commercial break, as the show had been taped before Dick's hospitalization)
[snapback]73957[/snapback]
[/quote]

All together now...

WE ALREADY KNEW THAT!
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

14gameshows

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 10:10:25 AM »
Hmmmm...how bout some of us who have the golden opportunity to make at least $6 Million a year and you try to walk away from that paycheck.  That is what Pat Sajak is making at the least.  Likewise with Vanna White, but with her not counting royalties from her appearances, and images.  Pat leaving anytime soon.  I dont think so.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 10:21:45 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 09:50 AM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'digiblader\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 09:05 AM\']Even if Pat doesn't leave, I can see Charlie O'Donell leaving within the next few years due to age.. how old is he now BTW? I mean, he's been doing the show for 16 seasons, not including the 70s-80s daytime shows he did previously.
[/quote]

[snapback]73957[/snapback]
[/quote]

All together now...

WE ALREADY KNEW THAT!
[snapback]73958[/snapback]
[/quote]

Digiblader either didn't know or didn't remember that :)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 2 2005, 10:21 AM\']Digiblader either didn't know or didn't remember that :)
[/quote]
That doesn't mean you had to tell him.
--Mark
Phil 4:13