Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated deals  (Read 2835 times)

The Pyramids

Syndicated deals
« on: February 12, 2005, 01:08:50 PM »
In the days of syndicacted and network shows, where hosts paid with differnt contracts?

For instance did Pat Sajak in the Eighties have one deal / annual salary between NBC and Merv Griffin Enterprises, and another, probably larger one between Kingword and Merv Griffin Enterpries?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Syndicated deals
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 03:33:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 12 2005, 11:08 AM\']In the days of syndicacted and network shows, where hosts paid with differnt contracts?

For instance did Pat Sajak in the Eighties have one deal / annual salary between NBC and Merv Griffin Enterprises, and another, probably larger one between Kingword and Merv Griffin Enterpries?
[snapback]74888[/snapback]
[/quote]
No. The syndicator / network carrier isn't gonna enter into it at that level, I wouldn't think. The producer was Merv Griffin (or Sony, depending on when you're talking about...I think the whole run of the daytime show was still under Merv), and they are the ones who sign the paycheck.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

Syndicated deals
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 07:06:54 PM »
The host (and most everyone else) has a different deal for the network and for the syndicated versions of a show.

Typically the syndicated or "nightime" version of a game show that is a hit in prime access (early evening) has a significantly higher budget than the daytime version. If WOF was on in daytime today (we can dream) the budget and the host's salary would be tiny compared to Pat's dumptruck full 'o' bux. Why? Primarily because the daytime viewing audience is smaller, and thus the commercial time sells cheaper.

TV101: The only significant source of income in the whole equation is from advertising, so a game show's budget is based primarily upon the commercial rates that can be charged for its initial run. For syndicated game shows that charge stations cash, the rate is still based upon the advertising income that can be projected for the local ads in that market. Drama shows and sitcoms are a different formula; they are usually "deficit financed" with the expectation of generating significantly more income after the initial run.

Personal experience:

Weakest Link started in the US as a network prime time show. As implied above, the network version had a rich budget. When the show was then produced for daytime syndication the budget was smaller. Some of the savings come from salaries, some from production costs, some from the prize budget. I was very lucky (and remain very thankful) that my daily rate remained the same between the two versions; although the syndicated show's tape day was longer.

The Price Is Right prime time specials also follow the logic. There will be a far larger audience and far higher advertising rates for even a moderately popular prime time program than for even the biggest hit in daytime. The fact that TPiR's prime time specials usually win their time period is added icing on the devilishly rich cake. For each primetime episode I was paid 5 times my rate for the daytime show.*

*For demonstration purposes only. Past performance is no guarantee of future investment returns; read the prospectus before investing. Prices higher west of the Rockies. Batteries not included. Void where prohibited. Your actual mileage may vary. Use as directed.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 07:10:06 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com