Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Plus set  (Read 5908 times)

Mike Tennant

Password Plus set
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »
Looking at the full-set picture of P+ reminds me even more why I liked it so much better than the set for SP.  This one (a) is "warm" and (b) feels like you're in an actual room.  The SP set, on the other hand, looked like a desk and a couple of stools plopped down in the middle of a big, empty space, which made it seem very cold.

Neumms

Password Plus set
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 01:23:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 12:14 PM\']I think what makes the set appear as big as it is is the illusion we have when watching the show that the walls with the Password Puzzle and Alphabetics boards on them are perpendicular to the game desk, when in fact they sit more at 45-degree angles. We're expecting it to be smaller, so when it's not, we're surprised.
[snapback]74734[/snapback]
[/quote]

Did they ever show the Password Puzzle wall in a shot with the rest of the set?
   I don't think they did, so I always had the impression it was offstage somewhere, as the Match Game orange light box was. The set is more impressive when you do see it.

Frankly, P+'s set always looked cheap in the way that many of the NBC sets did. I prefer the Password All-Stars set (though not the game). Super Password at least looked a little hipper, though I agree with the empty stage sentiment.

BrandonFG

Password Plus set
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 01:28:48 PM »
Looking at the photo, the set was nice, and reminded me a lot of $ale of the Century, with the staggered plus signs. Of course, Bente Christensen working on both could have a lot to do with it. However, the set was too busy, and I think it was the neon borders of the backdrops. Had it been a chase light sequence or maybe if the plus signs lit up themselves, it could've been better. Or maybe it was the red carpet and matching desk covers.

As for SP, it looked too much like a space station. Just too futuristic for 1984.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

Password Plus set
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 02:17:10 PM »
Did they ever show the Password Puzzle wall in a shot with the rest of the set?
I don't think they did, so I always had the impression it was offstage somewhere, as the Match Game orange light box was. The set is more impressive when you do see it.

It did have give you that impression, didn't it.  During the first two episodes (and maybe the whole first week) the first time they went to the puzzle in that episode, they showed a wider shot of the set, and zoomed into the puzzle board.  As far as I know, they never did that shot after that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Password Plus set
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 03:11:51 PM »
http://www.geocities.com/jay_anton/passwordplus1.html

I've got one such shot on this page. Don't be surprised if it's over data transfer though...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password Plus set
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 05:14:12 PM »
Have you tried charging Zach by the post?
That's such a great idea, we'll give you 10%.

JMFabiano

Password Plus set
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 05:34:54 PM »
And how about the Scrabble picture?  Cool to get a somewhat good look at the giant board (not the game board, the design on one of the cube's other faces) at last.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password Plus set
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 05:40:20 PM »
That was no illusion; the P+ set really was huge. It occupied nearly the entire width of a 100' x 120' stage.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password Plus set
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 05:47:45 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 03:40 PM\']That was no illusion; the P+ set really was huge. It occupied nearly the entire width of a 100' x 120' stage.
[snapback]74760[/snapback]
[/quote]
I didn't mean to suggest the set itself was an illusion...my point to my initial post was that the set was shot in such a way as to appear to be much smaller on TV.

Still a great set, and IMO the best version of Password in nearly every way. The only thing that could have made it more perfect would be an Alphabetic's round of similar difficulty to the one used on Super Password.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe