Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name That Tune rules question  (Read 3316 times)

Adam Nedeff

Name That Tune rules question
« on: February 11, 2005, 01:51:23 AM »
I'm doing some tinkering around the old Utopia and in an attempt to make the Name That Tune page more thorough I'm adding as many little rule changes as I can find. As I'm leafing through some publicity photos of mine, I notice the Melody Roulette wheel has each contestant's name on a space on the wheel, which I also noticed on the Today Game Show week from 2002 when I dug that tape out later. What was the difference in rules here?

Theory: I noticed the contestant name plates were on equal dollar amounts, so I'm guessing it was worth double the money if it landed on the space for that contestant, and they moved the nameplates before each spin. Am I right?

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 04:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Feb 11 2005, 01:51 AM\']I'm doing some tinkering around the old Utopia and in an attempt to make the Name That Tune page more thorough I'm adding as many little rule changes as I can find. As I'm leafing through some publicity photos of mine, I notice the Melody Roulette wheel has each contestant's name on a space on the wheel, which I also noticed on the Today Game Show week from 2002 when I dug that tape out later. What was the difference in rules here?

Theory: I noticed the contestant name plates were on equal dollar amounts, so I'm guessing it was worth double the money if it landed on the space for that contestant, and they moved the nameplates before each spin. Am I right?
[snapback]74795[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't recall the contestants' names on the wheel with cash amounts.  That was done in the original Melody Roulette format, where there were categories on the wheel.  Each contestant picked their favorite category and if the wheel landed on the category, they got $100 whether or not they named the tune.  (At this point, the round was played for a prize, along with the 10 points--and even after the daytime version switched to the cash amounts a few weeks in, they always had a prize up for grabs.  On the nighttime version, it was always just for the cash and to insert the "and here's how we'll protect your money" Bank of America Travelers Cheques plug--I now wonder if Jeri Fiala had her cheques properly countersigned.

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 11 2005, 04:51 PM\']I now wonder if Jeri Fiala had her cheques properly countersigned.
[snapback]74825[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'd love to countersign her cheques.

That Don Guy

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2005, 09:30:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Feb 11 2005, 01:51 AM\']I'm doing some tinkering around the old Utopia and in an attempt to make the Name That Tune page more thorough I'm adding as many little rule changes as I can find. As I'm leafing through some publicity photos of mine, I notice the Melody Roulette wheel has each contestant's name on a space on the wheel, which I also noticed on the Today Game Show week from 2002 when I dug that tape out later. What was the difference in rules here?

[snapback]74795[/snapback]
[/quote]

No.  The names were always on the two matching cash amounts ($100 on the Dennis James NBC version; $200 on the Tom Kennedy weekly syndicated version, before they switched to the "Double" wheel), and if the wheel landed on a player's name, they won the appropriate amount instantly in addition to the next tune being played for that amount.

-- Don