Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coming soon to GSN: Billiards  (Read 5938 times)

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
Coming soon to GSN: Billiards
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 11:57:47 AM »
Anyone wanna place a small bet on Celebrity Twister coming soon? :-P j/k
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 12:34:47 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 08:58 AM\']No foolin'? Wow. I didn't know that.
[/quote]
S'true. They even used to send Berman out to do the play-by-play, although that may have changed in recent years.
[quote name=\'Horan\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 05:53 AM\']I give them credit for airing something like that.[/quote]
Except, as usual, Zach completely misses the fact that it's usually presented as a parody of their regular sports coverage, complete with graphics for each kid, etc.
[quote name=\'PYLDude\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 08:58 AM\']Stick to sports (though keep the World Series of Poker).[/quote]
Wait, you whine and complain about them airing pool, but you like poker, so that's okay. Your argument is completely hypocritical. At least pool requires some modicum of dexterity.
I can't honestly see why someone would make a show out of billiards
The same reason someone made a show out of bowling. A LOT of people do it. They can relate. You see someone playing pool, and you watch, and you go "damn, I could have made that shot."
next thing you know, they'll have Championship Magic: The Gathering,

ESPN's way ahead of you. The Deuce carries the finals of the World Championships every year.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 12:55:53 PM »
A lot of ESPN's inventory are time buys, with the provision that they use ESPN graphics to make it look like it was done by ESPN.  That's how poker started out -- billiards, Scrabble, mini-golf and Magic are still that way.  Sports fans that complain "how come I don't see X on ESPN" is because ESPN wanted $$$, not the other way around.  Even a lot of the college basketball is barter -- you can have our conference championship if you show a certain amount of our regular season.

When I worked for an unnamed centrally located collegiate hockey conference in the early 90s, we had two offers for TV coverage, one was to pay ESPN $25,000 a game to put it on their network on tape-delay, the other was to receive $500 per game for each region of SportsChannel (now FoxSportsNet) with at least a decent possibility of a live clearance.  We went with B.

And, there was Celebrity Billiards in the mid 60s.  We're not talking new ideas here.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Don Howard

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 01:08:53 PM »
Say!!!!!!!!! Maybe they'll bring back Bowling For Dollars...complete with Pin Pals.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 01:24:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 01:34 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 08:58 AM\']No foolin'? Wow. I didn't know that.
[/quote]
S'true. They even used to send Berman out to do the play-by-play, although that may have changed in recent years.
[snapback]74737[/snapback]
[/quote]

Please tell me you saw the sarcasm, Chris.

ESPN's way ahead of you. The Deuce carries the finals of the World Championships every year.

Now I have officially heard it all! Maybe I should watch ESPN2 more...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

davewalls

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »
Two Words:

Let's Bowl!

I bet Wally and Chopper are both free right now.. ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 03:01:59 PM by davewalls »
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

reason1024

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 10 2005, 08:58 AM\']
Personally, I'm waiting for All-Star Parcheesi and The $1,000,000 Pokemon Card Game.

What about "Celebrity Dominoes".  No wait....that's already been tried on Canadian television!
[snapback]74720[/snapback]
[/quote]

Has it really?  If enough people really watch celebrity competition shows mainly to see famous people hanging out together and acting up, I can see Celebrity Dominos actually making for good television once you get past the apparent silliness of the name.

I mean, come on, seeing Dave Chapelle slap down a bone and yell "DOMINO, MUTHAF***A!" has to be good for some laughs :)

Just like with any reality television, it's prolly all about the casting :-p

johnnya2k3

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 06:19:34 PM »
While we're at this...where's "Celebrity Table Tennis" (in which the opening clip of it was shown on the CBS Television City 50th anniversary special in 2002)?

Jonathan Allen

RobertSearcy

• Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 10:20:10 PM »
Hell, while we're all talking about celebrity games.........when is Celebrity War (the card game, not weapons and such) comin'?

*ducks from killfile (or whatever the hell ya'll call it) with no success*
"If everyone played Stud 8, it wouldn't matter who's in the White House because this would be one happy country!" -- Norman Chad during the 2007 World Series of Poker $50K HORSE event