Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'TPIR' fatigue  (Read 5791 times)

The Pyramids

'TPIR' fatigue
« on: February 13, 2005, 09:00:19 PM »
The ten year marker for a new syndicated 'TPIR' has passed.

I imagine producing two shows was tough for everone who worked on both. I assume the Tom Kennedy show shared more personel than the Doug Davidson show (I know that had a differnt line producer - Wolpert - plus differnt models, announcer etc).

What was the production schudule? Were the '85 and '94 syndicated shows taped five at time?  If so were there some weeks when Bob's five shows taped  Monday to Thursday, then many people had to come back the next day or on the weekend for a round on syndicated tapings?

zachhoran

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:16:24 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:00 PM\']

What was the production schudule? Were the '85 and '94 syndicated shows taped five at time?  If so were there some weeks when Bob's five shows taped  Monday to Thursday, then many people had to come back the next day or on the weekend for a round on syndicated tapings?
[snapback]74983[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think the 1994 version taped six a day. They had the same audience in for three shows, meaning the odds of getting picked as a contestant were the same as on the daytime show. The 1985-86 version taped five a day I believe.

calliaume

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:30:57 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:00 PM\']The ten year marker for a new syndicated 'TPIR' has passed.

I imagine producing two shows was tough for everone who worked on both. I assume the Tom Kennedy show shared more personel than the Doug Davidson show (I know that had a differnt line producer - Wolpert - plus different models, announcer etc).
[/quote]

I was thinking about this today.  I have no background knowledge of this, but it seems there were different rationales for the two versions -- the 1985 show was riding the syndicated game wave led by Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, whereas the '94 model seemed to be setting up for a different version upon Bob's retirement.  (Of course, who knew that Bob would stick it out another 11 years?)

My memory is that the '85 version didn't miss getting renewed by much, and one deal-breaker was the inability to place the show in the New York market.  At that point, I believe all three O&Os were running the network news at 7 p.m. (perhaps WABC had made the move to 6:30 at that point); they were running Wheel. The Newlywed Game, and Entertainment Tonight in the 7:30 slots.  As a result, Kennedy's TPIR was running at 2 a.m. on WNBC.

If I remember correctly, the '94 version was clobbered (a) because it was so different from the Barker version that viewers weren't ready for it, and (b) the OJ trial was preempting the show in the afternoons (and possibly the early evenings, I suppose).

Any other thoughts?

zachhoran

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 09:59:25 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:30 PM\']

My memory is that the '85 version didn't miss getting renewed by much, and one deal-breaker was the inability to place the show in the New York market.  At that point, I believe all three O&Os were running the network news at 7 p.m. (perhaps WABC had made the move to 6:30 at that point); they were running Wheel. The Newlywed Game, and Entertainment Tonight in the 7:30 slots.  As a result, Kennedy's TPIR was running at 2 a.m. on WNBC.

If I remember correctly, the '94 version was clobbered (a) because it was so different from the Barker version that viewers weren't ready for it, and (b) the OJ trial was preempting the show in the afternoons (and possibly the early evenings, I suppose).

[snapback]74989[/snapback]
[/quote]

In 1985-86, WABC still had Jennings(Peter, not Ken) on at 7PM. J! was airing at 4PM on WABC that season, preceding $otC Syndie. While J! managed to escape the late night time slot it started out on on WNBC when it moved to WABC on 12/31/84, Kennedy's TPIR did not. Syndie game shows airing in late night in NYC don't exactly help their renewal, save for maybe Street Smarts, which is apparently averaging less than a 1 for this season and may not see a season six.

NYC got to see TNPIR94 at 4PM on WWOR which was against Oprah. WWOR didn't ever break in for OJ, far as I can remember. Dawson had said publicly that OJ's coverage wasn't helpinh the ratings of his return to Feud that year, so I suspect it didn't help TNPIR either. Barker had said a few times on the daytime version that some viewers thought the CBS TPIR was off the air when they saw TNPIR.

aaron sica

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:16:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:30 PM\']
 While J! managed to escape the late night time slot it started out on on WNBC when it moved to WABC on 12/31/84,
[snapback]74995[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is that the only instance of a show jumping stations in MID-SEASON?

dzinkin

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 11:11:36 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 10:16 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:59 PM\']
While J! managed to escape the late night time slot it started out on on WNBC when it moved to WABC on 12/31/84,
[/quote]
[/quote]
Nope -- in New York, Pyramid switched from WNYW to WWOR partway through last season, and IIRC Hollywood Squares switched from KING to KONG in Seattle shortly before the last first-run week.  Of course, in both cases the switches were to co-owned stations, which certainly isn't the case with WNBC and WABC.

It's rare for a syndicated show to move from one station to another in mid-season if both stations aren't owned by the same company; the only other example that I can recall is Rush Limbaugh's TV show, which moved from WOKR to WHEC here in January of its second season.

trainman

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 01:31:19 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 07:16 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 09:59 PM\']
[snapback]74995[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]74996[/snapback]
[/quote]

J! also switched stations in Los Angeles during its first season, from an afternoon slot on KCBS to 7:30 P.M. on independent station KCOP.  It seems people chronicling the history of the show love to point out that Channel 2 canceled J! in favor of reruns of "Quincy."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 01:31:49 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 01:58:48 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 11:11 PM\']It's rare for a syndicated show to move from one station to another in mid-season if both stations aren't owned by the same company; the only other example that I can recall is Rush Limbaugh's TV show, which moved from WOKR to WHEC here in January of its second season.
[snapback]75002[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can add one as well. In March 2003, Feud moved from WVBT's overnite slots, to a nice 11 am slot on WTVZ.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 04:54:30 AM »
While not game related; this year; "People's Court" moved from KPWB to KDSM....speaking of which; anyone have the latest game ratings and court show ratings....last I knew, the court shows were on a major downturn.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 07:15:25 AM »
I think the 1994 version taped six a day.
I very much doubt that, given that each show has to be individually blocked. You do know what blocking is, don't you?

zachhoran

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 08:56:06 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 01:58 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 11:11 PM\']It's rare for a syndicated show to move from one station to another in mid-season if both stations aren't owned by the same company; the only other example that I can recall is Rush Limbaugh's TV show, which moved from WOKR to WHEC here in January of its second season.
[/quote]

I can add one as well. In March 2003, Feud moved from WVBT's overnite slots, to a nice 11 am slot on WTVZ.
[snapback]75021[/snapback]
[/quote]

Davidson $100K Pyramid aired in late nights in NYC on WNBC in Fall 1991. They dropped it around Xmastime. WWOR picked it up in February 1992 and aired it for a whopping three weeks at 5PM.

BrandonFG

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 08:56 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 01:58 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 13 2005, 11:11 PM\']It's rare for a syndicated show to move from one station to another in mid-season if both stations aren't owned by the same company; the only other example that I can recall is Rush Limbaugh's TV show, which moved from WOKR to WHEC here in January of its second season.
[/quote]

[snapback]75021[/snapback]
[/quote]

Davidson $100K Pyramid aired in late nights in NYC on WNBC in Fall 1991. They dropped it around Xmastime. WWOR picked it up in February 1992 and aired it for a whopping three weeks at 5PM.
[snapback]75030[/snapback]
[/quote]

You actually reminded me of another one. In fall 2001, WVBT aired the first two or three weeks of TTTT's second season (they aired it at like 6 am). WVBT dropped the show right around 9/11, and then-new indie station WSKY picked up the show in November, and aired it at 5:30 and 7 pm, right up to the March 02 cancellation. It's pretty obvious WVBT doesn't think very highly of game shows. :-)

And to answer Mark's question, last I saw, Judge Joe (ObGameShow: He was on Pyramid in 2002) actually had an increase in ratings. Whether or not that's indicative of the court genre is beyond me. I think Judge Judy and Divorce Court hold their own, though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:31:37 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 12:18:50 PM »
According to zap2it.com , among the top 20 syndicated shows for the week ending 1/30/05, Wof and J! were 1 and 2. Judy came in ninth, WOF Weekend 11th, Joe Brown sixteenth, Millionaire was seventeenth.  No other games or court shows made the list.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

GS Warehouse

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 07:15 AM\']... You do know what blocking is, don't you?
[snapback]75025[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's the opposite of charging.

If you need me, I'll be in the TTD90 room the rest of the week. :-)

uncamark

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 05:05:20 PM »
Last week Marc Berman did season-to-date ratings for syndie shows.  The requested genres (this should fall under fair use):

GAME/RELATIONSHIP
Wheel of Fortune: 9.0 (- 1), Jeopardy: 7.9 (+10), Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: 3.4 (- 3), Family Feud: 2.1 (no change), Blind Date: 1.2 (-25), ElimiDate: 1.1 (-27), Street Smarts: 0.9 (-18)

With multiple season renewals for Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire and another upcoming season with no new game shows, expect nothing different in the ratings department next season.

-----

COURT
Judge Judy: 4.9 (- 2), Judge Joe Brown: 3.4 (- 3), Divorce Court: 2.7 (no change), People's Court: 2.6 (+18), Judge Mathis: 2.4 (+14), Texas Justice: 2.0 (no change), Judge Hatchett: 1.7 (-11)

Upcoming in Fall 2005:
Twentieth Television's Judge Alex, which comparatively is the first new court related strip in four years.

---------

In short, games are flat with the exception of "J!" (thanks to KenJen) and court shows are flat to slightly up.

It looks to me like "Street Smarts" will not dodge the bullet again after a long lucky streak, while "Blind Date" and "ElimiDate" are on the bubble for next season.  Everyone else in the game/relationship genre will be back.