Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'TPIR' fatigue  (Read 5524 times)

The Pyramids

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 06:31:52 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 08:56 AM\']

Davidson $100K Pyramid aired in late nights in NYC on WNBC in Fall 1991. They dropped it around Xmastime. WWOR picked it up in February 1992 and aired it for a whopping three weeks at 5PM.
[snapback]75030[/snapback]
[/quote]

I bet it is a lot of little ancedotes like that which can explain the genres rapid decline in those years. For instance we have here on of the oldest, stronges NBC affiliates there is. In '93 'Scatttergories' and 'Scrabble' aired out of pattern at 2 in the morning. Prior to that they never aired 'Classic Concentration' reruns.

Tony

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 01:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 05:05 PM\']It looks to me like "Street Smarts" will not dodge the bullet again after a long lucky streak, while "Blind Date" and "ElimiDate" are on the bubble for next season.  Everyone else in the game/relationship genre will be back.
[/quote]
If your statement holds true, next year there will be NO relationship programs in syndication, right? (not that it's a bad thing;))

uncamark

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 04:44:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Feb 16 2005, 01:06 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 05:05 PM\']It looks to me like "Street Smarts" will not dodge the bullet again after a long lucky streak, while "Blind Date" and "ElimiDate" are on the bubble for next season.  Everyone else in the game/relationship genre will be back.
[/quote]
If your statement holds true, next year there will be NO relationship programs in syndication, right? (not that it's a bad thing;))
[snapback]75241[/snapback]
[/quote]

But "on the bubble," I mean "on the borderline."  The dating shows are pulling the kinds of numbers that have meant cancellation for other shows--*however,* the fact that they may still pull great numbers in the key demos and the fact that they play in most instances late at night, when there are far fewer sets in use, may keep 'em going for another year (that and being cheap to produce).

In Chicago, the fact that WCIU's now airing "ElimiDate" at 1 a.m. could mean that if the same thing's happening in other large markets, that show doesn't have long for this world.  However, stranger things have happened and I wouldn't be celebrating its cancellation just yet.

ChuckNet

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 08:01:14 PM »
You actually reminded me of another one. In fall 2001, WVBT aired the first two or three weeks of TTTT's second season (they aired it at like 6 am). WVBT dropped the show right around 9/11, and then-new indie station WSKY picked up the show in November, and aired it at 5:30 and 7 pm, right up to the March 02 cancellation.

A similar situation occured here in NY...FF started off the 01-02 season on WWOR (Ch. 9) as part of a Pearson GS block that also included TTTT and Card Guppies, but about 3 wks later, moved over to WNYW (Ch. 5)...they also took the tail end of TTTT's run after CS '01 was canned in mid-season.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

johnnya2k3

'TPIR' fatigue
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 03:20:37 AM »
In Fairbanks, I seem to remember KATN running TPIR '94 weekends at 6:30pm. Of course both that and Family Feud '94 (which was on KFXF) fell victim to O.J. But at that time Jeopardy would FINALLY be shown here, on KTVF at 7:30 weeknights after Wheel; both shows remained there until ABC Alaska's Superstation picked them up in 1997.

The 1985-86 syndie TPIR nor $100,000 Pyramid were never shown locally; before 1992 when KFXF went on, we had KATN and KTVF as the only two commercial stations. Like I said before, we never got to see Tic Tac Dough, Joker's Wild, the '80s Hollywood Squares or High Rollers, or the Jim Lange "Name That Tune" when they were originally on, but we would get our chance thanks to reruns on USA.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:59:20 PM by johnnya2k3 »