Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Get Paid To Watch Game Shows?  (Read 8704 times)

TimK2003

Get Paid To Watch Game Shows?
« on: February 14, 2005, 11:35:35 AM »
I know that in the earlier days of TV game shows, audiences were the standard John & Jane Doe coming in town for a vacation, or locals who just wanted to see their TV people in persoon.  They would have to write in for tickets, and perhaps they would get in.

In more recent years, some game shows, mostly the ones taped away from CBSTV City or NBC Burbank, get the majority of their audiences by paying them, or by paying local groups or organizations to come to the studio and be their audiences.

Some questions I had on this practice of 'pay to watch':

1) When did this practice first start?  (I don't think that Tattletales would be in the same category as it was a show where the audience were more or less, the actual 'contestants".

2) What do groups or individuals get paid for sitting through a taping session?

3) Besides budgetary reasons, is their any other reasons why some shows will pay for a full audience, while others just take the handful of people off the street who genuinely want to see the show and 'sweeten' their reactions, or those others who simply use no audience and just put in a 100% canned audience?

4) How do people like us get involved in this pay to watch deal if we came out in LA for vacation and sit through a few shows?

Just Curious.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:58:14 AM »
"Randy West!  Paging Randy West!"

Randy will have all the answers for you on this one.  So could a few others we have on board, but Randy has worked with these "professional" audience members a lot.  My impression is that tourists don't really have an inside track on getting the "paid" gig, and in fact an audience might consist of both unpaid tourists and paid seat fillers.  There are many reasons why a producer might want a larger live audience,  but one would obviously be when the set of the show (Weakest Link, for example) shows you the audience.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 11:59:49 AM »
I think it started when the taping time for a half-hour show went from 22 minutes to 5 hours.  The average person probably doesn't want to sit through all the stop downs, retakes, recreations, equip. failures, etc. without some sort of compensation.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 12:02:43 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

goongas

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 01:22:39 PM »
For ESPN's Two Minute Drill, they had both paid and unpaid audience members.  The paid ones were unemployed actors (from the actor's union).  They were paid around $20/day.  Syndicated Millionaire also uses paid audience members, but I don't know how many they need since a lot of people sit in the audience just to audition for the show (they tell you the results of the contestant test after the taping is over).

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 01:25:50 PM »
Thanks for the "shout out" Matt. Yes, I know more about this practice than I care to.

The paid audience phenomenon started as early as the early 1980s with special consideration given to groups of 20-30 or more. Besides contributing to a group's fund-raising efforts (Little League uniforms, etc), the production company would sometimes pay for the bus. The fact is a large organized group is great; once confirmed, they are sure to be there, and they have their own wranglers to babysit their needs. If the production company pays for the bus they are unlikely to be leaving early!

From a warm-up performer's standpoint, these groups were and are golden. They are already friends, and already "loose" and responsive. A brief talk with one of their wranglers could give you a ton of material based on the big-mouth, funny members of the group, and the nature and politics of the group. Guaranteed ice-breakers and laughs.

Paid audiences became standard practice in the early 1990s. I think my first encounter was when I filled-in on "Pictionary". My personal take on the phenomenon is that the increasing length of tapings and marginal warm-up entertainers who fail to keep audiences entertained through the longer sessions are significant but secondary factors that keep local civilians from lusting after TV tickets.

The dirty little secret that even TPiR with its little or no stop-down time, which only expects an audience to sit for a little over an hour, and gives them about a 1 in 30 chance of appearing on TV and winning something has used paid audience members from time to time for a couple of decades weakens that argument. I think the real reason is that the quantity and quality of TV production just stopped making the experience special. Watch GSN reruns of shows from the 50s - people dressed-up with ties and pearls to visit a TV show. By the 80s we were lucky if people bathed!

Dozens of cable channels and endless infomercials created a wave of production; we burned-out people with low budget, less show-bizzy, start-and-stop tapings, and overall less "special" experiences. Even the proliferation of home videocameras and PC editing also ended some of the mystery and magic.

These days, on any given tape date there are usually far more seats that need to be filled than tourists interested in watching a show tape. Besides, 300 tourists, each with a ticket, doesn't mean you can count on even half an audience. Paid audience members show up, on time, dressed as you request, and stay until the end.

Paid audiences serve other purposes. Entertainment shows with professional performers such as sitcoms and the almost dead genre of variety NEED a full and reacting crowd for the benefit of the performers. Sweetening audience response is costly when done convincingly; some producers would rather spend that money up front and minimize the need for sweetening. And as Matt indicates, some shows such as Weakest Link take a lot of audience reaction shots or feature the audience prominently.

Having an audience in the studio has always been an investment that is often an expensive proposition. First and foremost, insurance rates are higher, and most local municipalities require fire marshall(s) to be present with a live audience. Pages need to be present, and of course a sparkling warm-up personality needs to be hired. Nowadays more than ever, security guards and/or outside security companies complete with metal detectors and wands are needed. The networks and studios (Paramount, etc.) have always employed audience recruiters to generate interest and distribute tickets at tourist spots such as the Farmers' Market, the Universal Tour and Grauman's (Mann's) Chinese Theater. Even printing tickets and fulfilling mailed ticket requests carry costs. With an outside company fetching and babysitting audiences some of these direct expenses disappear.

The "paid audience" business is now big business with several companies well established and profitable. There is little use for tourists; these companies utilize locals who can work long hours, sometimes on short notice. There is a reasonably high turnover rate among the workers and the majority of faces keep changing.  The backdoor entree to the coveted world of showbiz attracts a great many flakes who are quickly weeded-out by virtue of their irresponsibility or inappropriateness. A few "jerks" on the set more than a couple of times can cost the audience company the lucrative contract.

The long-standing, valued workers are usually entertainment professionals who are either on their way up or their way down in acting careers. I've worked with paid audience members who I now see with minor roles on WB or UPN sitcoms. One of my favorite things about working with these folks is discovering the few gems in their midst... the composers (remember the 60s hit "Walk Away Renee"?), the elderly character actors with familiar faces, the proud up-and-comer who is smiling ear-to-ear because of his recent 3 days on a film as "Juror #4", etc.. Mark Walberg worked for years as one of the premier warm-up performers. Only recently we reminisced about some of our memorable favorites from among the paid audience ranks. Some are a pleasure to see when you step out on stage.

Out of respect for the operators of these businesses I'll remain vague about some of the details. The job pays near minimum wage and may include a lunch allowance. The production company pays enough above minimum wage by the hour for each employee to allow for the supervision, booking, overhead and profit of these employers.

The good audience companies earn their repeat business by recruiting and carefully supervising cooperative employees with professional demeanors. I've seen them magically deliver 100 people on an hour's notice. Others try and die by virtue of the unphotogenic, uncooperative and language-impaired people they deliver to a workplace where time is big money.

Paid audiences are a big part of the business that is, for good or bad, here to stay.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 09:08:59 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 01:38:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 01:25 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 08:58 AM\']"Randy West!  Paging Randy West!"
[snapback]75042[/snapback]
[/quote]
The paid audience phenomenon started as early as the early 1980s with special consideration given to groups of 20-30 or more. Besides contributing to a group's fund-raising efforts (Little League uniforms, etc), the production company would sometimes pay for the bus. The fact is, a large organized group is great; once confirmed, they are sure to be there, and they have their own wranglers to babysit their needs. If the production company pays for the bus they are unlikely to be leaving early!
[snapback]75051[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember from watching Scrabble, that Chuck would often mention that students from a local (junior) high school was in the audience, followed by a mix of cheers from the students and McKenzie. Would this be an example, or is this just simple a field trip to the NBC studios.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 10:38 AM\']I remember from watching Scrabble, that Chuck would often mention that students from a local (junior) high school was in the audience, followed by a mix of cheers from the students and McKenzie. Would this be an example, or is this just simple a field trip to the NBC studios.
[snapback]75052[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's likely some "promotional consideration" was provided. Even if just a class outing I bet the group was given a free NBC tour in exchange for filling the seats.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 04:09:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 11:25 AM\']The backdoor entree to the coveted world of showbiz attracts a great many flakes who are quickly weeded-out by virtue of their irresponsibility or inappropriateness.
[/quote]
Is this a gentle way of saying I should leave my "Who Farted?" T-Shirt at home next time I go to a taping? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 01:09 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 11:25 AM\']The backdoor entree to the coveted world of showbiz attracts a great many flakes who are quickly weeded-out by virtue of their irresponsibility or inappropriateness.
[/quote]
Is this a gentle way of saying I should leave my "Who Farted?" T-Shirt at home next time I go to a taping? :)
[snapback]75062[/snapback]
[/quote]
That would be welcome - it would make my warm-up job easier. Dude, I wish I could tell you what some of the whacked wanna-be's have attempted to do once on the premises!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 04:32:26 PM »
Interesting... While I don't have nearly the experience working with paid audiences that Randy has, my experiences with them haven't left me with exactly the same impression.

If you say "paid audience" to me, the first thing I'll think of is a group of people who don't care about the show that they're at and therefore aren't all that receptive to instructions such as "stay in a single file line" or "you cannot leave the studio once the taping has begun." Getting them to follow directions is a chore, and they're a constant source of stress when one of them leaves their seat right before the next act is about to begin, causing the show's audience wranglers to scramble to fill the seat as quickly as possible.

To be fair, only a handful of paid audience members are like this at any given taping. And I have seen many regulars who were nice and likeable (or at the very least, professionally performed the job for which they had been hired). But it's those few bad apples that spoil the bunch, and I've already vowed that if I ever run my own show, the only audience in attendance will be the ones who actually want to be there -- even if I have to heavily rely on the canned applause.

--
Scott Robinson

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 04:47:55 PM »
But Scott, as Randy says, if an audience provider consistantly keeps bringing you people like that who don't follow basic instructions and make your job harder, that audience provider doesn't stay in business long.  I do see your point about just being there for the dough and not caring about the game, but the majority of these people consider themselves "actors" and ought to be willing to turn it on for the camera when the time is right.

I saw Randy working a (mostly paid) Weakest Link audience once from a distance (I was on the other side of the set outside of camera range).  I also saw an unsold pilot in a room of paid audience members where the floor director was basically doing double-duty as warm-up and clearly wasn't equipped for it.  Even with an audience that's paid to be there, and presumably willing to give you the reactions you want, it's amazing to see the difference that a decent warm-up guy can make.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 05:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 01:32 PM\']Interesting... While I don't have nearly the experience working with paid audiences that Randy has, my experiences with them haven't left me with exactly the same impression.
[snapback]75069[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the dialogue, Scott. I think our opinions are more in sync than you think.

If you say "paid audience" to me, the first thing I'll think of is a group of people who don't care about the show that they're at and therefore aren't all that receptive to instructions such as "stay in a single file line" or "you cannot leave the studio once the taping has begun." Getting them to follow directions is a chore, and they're a constant source of stress when one of them leaves their seat right before the next act is about to begin, causing the show's audience wranglers to scramble to fill the seat as quickly as possible.
You are right. And nobody will ever be more attentive to instructions than those for whom a visit to the studio is a special event... especially those at TPiR. Working with those folks can easily spoil a page, wrangler, or performer with their cooperative nature and positive energy.

With all due respect, the hired hands have heard those "single file" instructions many times. And as some view themselves as "show biz professionals" they can be downright rude when given the generic directions. Factor in that many are saving their best behavior for when they are "performing" or for when in sight of someone who they believe can enhance their lot in show biz. We agree that many don't represent themselves or their employers well. Those are the ones who are weeded out rather quickly. I think you'll agree that some are wonderfully interesting and charming people; I've enjoyed talking with some really cool folks who are doing that paid audience work. The vast majority are just trying to pay the rent and will do as told without much attitude. The secret I found to gaining the cooperation of the less motivated: treating them like the fellow "show biz professionals" they perceive themselves to be. "We're all here because we all have our little part of the big picture that we're experts at performing. Help me with mine, and I'll help you with yours".

To be fair, only a handful of paid audience members are like this at any given taping. And I have seen many regulars who were nice and likeable (or at the very least, professionally performed the job for which they had been hired). But it's those few bad apples that spoil the bunch, and I've already vowed that if I ever run my own show, the only audience in attendance will be the ones who actually want to be there -- even if I have to heavily rely on the canned applause.
As I've said to you before, I'm proud of you for choosing a career, and taking the action to get in the door. You did it quickly and professionally. I'm glad you're now raising your sights to a possible career as a producer. Should I send my resume?

Continued success, Scott!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 10:57:53 PM by tvrandywest »

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 07:11:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 01:25 PM\']The paid audience phenomenon started as early as the early 1980s with special consideration given to groups of 20-30 or more.

<MAJOR SNIPPAGE>

Paid audiences are a big part of the business that is, for good or bad, here to stay.

[snapback]75051[/snapback]
[/quote]

Randy, that was a very good thesis paper!  I thank you for your input, as I did learn a lot about the topic of paid audiences.

So with that in mind, I will issue you an "A" for your paper, which will give you the necessary final grade to obtain that Masters Degree in Game Show Theology.  As soon as I see Sally Struthers at the corner Krispy Kreme, I will have her sign your genuine imitation sheepskin and have it mailed out to you within the next few weeks.

Now that you have completed that degree, can we interest you in another Learn-From-Home degree from the ones scrolling across your TV screen right now? ;-p

Seriously, Randy, thanks again for your valuable insights!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 07:13:01 PM by TimK2003 »

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 07:41:54 PM »
Thanks for replying, Randy-- that was very informative and interesting.

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 11:04:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 04:11 PM\']... As soon as I see Sally Struthers at the corner Krispy Kreme, I will have her sign your genuine imitation sheepskin...
[snapback]75086[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm happy to hear Sally didn't eat the skin! BTW, was the sheep spayed or neutered?

Sampling your e-radio station. Great music selection!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:06:05 PM by tvrandywest »