Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NTT & WoF coin-op videogames  (Read 3830 times)

alfonzos

NTT & WoF coin-op videogames
« on: February 14, 2005, 04:25:44 PM »
Do you remember the Name That Tune and Wheel of Fortune coin-operated videogames? Here is a site that does:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=N&game_id=8828

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=W&game_id=10422

I have played them both in arcades in suburban Los Angeles. Neither game could be played for more than about two minutes unless you were really skilled. The graphics on both were impressive for their time. Each gave the feel of the television series.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 04:38:36 PM »
Great find, Alfonzo!  I'll make sure links to those pages end up on my site.  The Wheel of Fortune game was fairly common, and continued to be so for many years.  The Name That Tune game I remember being a lot harder to find.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 04:45:07 PM »
The Wheel Of Fortune Coin-Op was so much fun! I recently played it at FunSpot, America's Largest Classic Gaming Arcade in Weirs Beach, New Hampshire. Zinging the little dial for the wheel was definitely the best part....

I've played NTT on MAME, and it turned out to be a cheesy piece of crap, IMHO.

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 04:47:01 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 04:25 PM\']Do you remember the Name That Tune and Wheel of Fortune coin-operated videogames?
[snapback]75068[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember both of them, Alfonzo!

The WoF game I liked better......That actually brings some memories back, and although I was bound and determined, I fell a good bit short of the goal :)

This was back in '91, the local arcade had a Pac-Man machine for 4000 tickets. The WoF machine dispensed tickets depending on how you did (I don't think all of them did this) and I was able to rack up some, just not as much as I'd like.

The other weird thing I remember about that game is that "Vanna" walked like she had an itch in her crotch...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 05:20:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 02:38 PM\']Great find, Alfonzo!  I'll make sure links to those pages end up on my site.  The Wheel of Fortune game was fairly common, and continued to be so for many years.  The Name That Tune game I remember being a lot harder to find.
[snapback]75070[/snapback]
[/quote]
See, what's funny is that, growing up in California, I have had the exact opposite experience. The Wheel game I had never seen before I played it in MAME, but the NTT game I had seen in several video arcades over the years. (Mind you, it was still pretty rare, but I can still tell you a few places that have it, I bet.) Just depends on where you live, I guess.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JMFabiano

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 12:23:37 AM »
re: the NTT game...from the description and the screen caps, it looks like it involved Tune Topics and Bid-a-Note.  Anyone know any more about the gameplay?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 12:33:51 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Feb 15 2005, 12:23 AM\']re: the NTT game...from the description and the screen caps, it looks like it involved Tune Topics and Bid-a-Note.  Anyone know any more about the gameplay?
[snapback]75118[/snapback]
[/quote]

That was pretty much it.  Two rounds, with a requirement to get to a certain score to play the Golden Medley (you got a bonus depending on how well and how quickly you finish a round).

Now, if you want oddball, try looking for a "bootleg" Press Your Luck-esque game called Big Bucks.  Ran on Pac-Man hardware, as I recall.

dazztardly

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 12:59:20 AM »
Here's info on the new Wheel of Fortune coin-pusher redemption game by ICE

http://www.icegame.com/GameDetail.aspx?ProductID=97

-Dan

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 01:00:15 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Feb 14 2005, 10:23 PM\']re: the NTT game...from the description and the screen caps, it looks like it involved Tune Topics and Bid-a-Note.  Anyone know any more about the gameplay?
[snapback]75118[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah. It was Tune Topics and Bid-A-Note. :)

Seriously, it had four colored buttons for one or two players, and you would hit the one corresponding to the same colored song if you knew it. If you racked up 3 out of 5 tunes in a round, you got the bonus for that round. If you racked up enough points in two rounds, you played the Golden Medley.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 07:26:18 AM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' date=\'Feb 15 2005, 12:59 AM\']Here's info on the new Wheel of Fortune coin-pusher redemption game by ICE

http://www.icegame.com/GameDetail.aspx?ProductID=97

-Dan
[snapback]75121[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for reminding me, Dan - there's also another WoF game that's pretty much like that (if not the same one!), except it's a bigger size and also a ticket redemption game.

Failed to mention that yesterday in all the WoF talk.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 11:42:58 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 15 2005, 05:26 AM\']Thanks for reminding me, Dan - there's also another WoF game that's pretty much like that (if not the same one!), except it's a bigger size and also a ticket redemption game.

Failed to mention that yesterday in all the WoF talk.
[snapback]75130[/snapback]
[/quote]
From the looks of that one, the stopping of the light is triggered by dropping the coin down a ramp. The previous version (or, at least, the one that I have seen) was one of those large domed numbers, with a horizontal Wheel, and the light running around the edge, and you would hit a button to stop the light, ideally on the one that emptied the Jackpot.

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 09:48:59 PM »
I played both the NTT and WoF coin-ops...my mom especially loved the former when it came out and played it whenever we visited a local amusement park that had it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")