Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Internet Movie Database  (Read 4383 times)

alfonzos

The Internet Movie Database
« on: February 28, 2005, 02:21:38 PM »
The Internet Movie Database depends on user input to stay the leading resource of information about movies. The database includes thousands of references to video games and television programs. However, anything not movie related takes a backseat.

I just added my two cents concerning Shenanigans and perhaps we can help our cause by bringing our expertise to this important reference source. You have to register to add to the database but that is just a formality.

The IMBd's home page is us.imbd.com
My Shenanigans comments can be found at http://imdb.com/title/tt0198231/usercomments-3
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:49:50 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 02:21 PM\']The Internet Movie Database depends on user input to stay the leading resource of information about movies. The database includes thousands of references to video games and television programs. However, anything not movie related takes a backseat.

I just added my two cents concerning Shenanigans and perhaps we can help our cause by bringing our expertise to this important reference source. You have to register to add to the database but that is just a formality.

My Shenanigans comments can be found at http://imdb.com/title/tt0198231/usercomments-3
[snapback]76489[/snapback]
[/quote]

Saw your comments--it would seem to me that with a live musician in the studio, Stubby Kaye would not be lip-synching anything, but considering that I haven't seen anything of the show in years other than a brief clip on the web, I could be wrong.

brianhenke

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 03:27:30 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 02:21 PM\']The Internet Movie Database depends on user input to stay the leading resource of information about movies. The database includes thousands of references to video games and television programs. However, anything not movie related takes a backseat.

[snapback]76489[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hoosier Millionaire still has a 1995 start date, according to the IMDB - instead of 1989.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:28:50 PM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 03:53:45 PM »
The voice of Stubby Kaye was actually that of Marni Nixon.  No, that was just a joke.  You guys with web page savvy could start a IGSDB.  Once in place, there wouldn't be a whole lot to update.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 05:24:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 03:53 PM\']The voice of Stubby Kaye was actually that of Marni Nixon.  No, that was just a joke.  You guys with web page savvy could start a IGSDB.  Once in place, there wouldn't be a whole lot to update.[/quote]
When I brought back my site, I was considering doing such a site.  Alas, I don't have the most time in the world right now and it would probably cost me a heckuva lot more than what I'm currently paying.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 07:56:20 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 05:24 PM\']When I brought back my site, I was considering doing such a site.  Alas, I don't have the most time in the world right now and it would probably cost me a heckuva lot more than what I'm currently paying.
[snapback]76527[/snapback]
[/quote]
To comment to Mike first, I can understand your argument. Shame to lose your game show videos. If you're interested, I'll keep a "clip of the week" or something on my site. Just don't send me Camouflage. That thing left a scar on my brain. Only Finders Keepers does the hidden picture gimmick right, and even that's lost on me a bit now as an adult.

And as far as the whole idea of making a IGSDB, agreed that it would be a very tedious, webspace-eating task. Of anyone here, the ones who'd be most likely to do it would be Tim Connolly and Chris Lambert, since they have all those rulesheets on their sites. There wouldn't be much to add to those, and adapting for others can go from there.

But overall, so long as the real IMDB keeps my name on their site for the tiny bit of help I gave to JV Martin when he put together the Press Your Luck Scandal special, I'll be happy. (And you can look it up, I'm not kidding. It's fun to have your name etched in history forever like that.)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 08:03:05 PM »
Why bother? It'd take 5 lifetimes to straighten everything that is wrong.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 08:15:13 PM »
Something I've thought that might be a good project is a game show wiki.  This spreads out the task of creating a database of game show information among the entire GS world - preventing a complete and total breakdown by any one exhaused webmaster.  At the same time, in case of random defacements by anonymous cowards, or garbage information by the kindergarteners out there [EG for..well...either: Hot Potato: Bill Cullen Tossed Potatoes at the Contestants] , it'd be an easy matter to simply go in, revert a page to it's previous saved state, or otherwise correct the misinformation.

For what it's worth, a quick hunt on Wikipedia, or on Google, should turn up decent Wiki software, for anyone so inclined.  I  thought about doing this myself, but I don't know if I'd have the resources to do it...plus, someone else may already have started the development of one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 08:17:21 PM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 09:19:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 06:15 PM\']Something I've thought that might be a good project is a game show wiki
[/quote]
We are both too big and too small for the wiki concept to work.

For small groups, where each individual can be trusted, wiki's work. We're not even close.

For EXTREMELY LARGE groups (as in the case with Wikipedia), where there can be enough cooks to weed out the idiots trying to piss in the soup pot, wiki's work. We're not even close.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 10:46:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 07:56 PM\']And as far as the whole idea of making a IGSDB, agreed that it would be a very tedious, webspace-eating task. Of anyone here, the ones who'd be most likely to do it would be Tim Connolly and Chris Lambert, since they have all those rulesheets on their sites. There wouldn't be much to add to those, and adapting for others can go from there.
[snapback]76548[/snapback]
[/quote]

Take a look at these sites:
www.allmusic.com
www.allmovie.com
www.allgame.com

Those three sites take 100-odd full-time people to develop/maintain/update.  It ain't no trivial task.  We have 2 people just to handle the complaints of the people who don't quite comprehend that you get the site for free, so you're not "owed" anything if you don't like it.

The closest in scope to an IGSDB would be our allgame site in terms of data size and user traffic.  That's a full time job for more than a few people.  Willing to quit your job to start one up?  Have a few friends ready to do the same?

--Mike, IS Manager for the above sites
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 11:12:15 PM »
Wikipedia's been mentioned here...I'm not saying we should make it a project or anything, but if someone wants to get accurate information out there, why not just edit its entry there?  The site doesn't even require you to sign up for anything.

davemackey

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 07:22:45 PM »
Odor said previously in this thread it would take five lifetimes to straighten out what is wrong with IMDb, but if enough people concerned about a subject area lent their expertise to that area, then it would really prosper.

No reference work is ever final or perfect. As an active IMDb updater (I submitted the majority of the credits that appear for 1950's Mr. Magoo cartoons), I know that it's never going to be perfect, but I will vouchsafe that the data I submit is 100% accurate - and if anyone else thinks they can do better, fine.

Even with submitted data IMDb has a huge staff checking facts, and they don't always follow up and some changes have been known to fall through the cracks. I'm trying to get a spelling change through for CBS stage manager Syd Grossfeld for something like the third time now.