Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Travel tips  (Read 3959 times)

LA the DJ

Travel tips
« on: February 20, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »
This August, my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to L.A. to catch Price (and maybe Wheel if they're actually in LA then). Anybody have any tips? Possibly how to go about getting the best deal (priceline? Orbitz?). When are the best days to travel? And good places to stay in the vicinity of the studios. I was hoping to go around my birthday (8/7), but it appears Price is in a taping break during then.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

davewalls

Travel tips
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 10:13:47 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Feb 20 2005, 09:06 PM\']This August, my girlfriend and I are planning a trip to L.A. to catch Price (and maybe Wheel if they're actually in LA then). Anybody have any tips? Possibly how to go about getting the best deal (priceline? Orbitz?). When are the best days to travel? And good places to stay in the vicinity of the studios. I was hoping to go around my birthday (8/7), but it appears Price is in a taping break during then.
[snapback]75557[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would highly recommend The Farmers Daughter hotel on Fairfax Ave, directly across from the CBS Studios. I recently went West about a month ago for my first ever TPiR taping, and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Not only is the location fantastic for TPiR people (line starts across the street), but the hotel is very cozy and gives special treatment to audience members.

Personally, I can't see staying anywhere else. Book it early, and the rate is pretty reasonable.

Just my .02,

Dave
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

TimK2003

Travel tips
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 11:07:52 PM »
Last time I was out there, we stayed at the Comfort Inn on Highland near the Hollywood Bowl.  When we stayed there, we ran into 3 or 4 couples who also were going to see TPIR at CBSTV City, which from there is about 10-15 minutes away.

Parking was free, the rooms were clean, and you are pretty much close to all of the area happenings (Universal, Hollywood, CBS, Burbank, etc...) and only a stone's throw from the 101/Hollywood Freeway.

Oh, and for a great place for a great italian dinner at a very reasonable price -- The C & O Trattoria at the end of Washington Blvd. by the Pacific Ocean on the Venice/Marina Del Rey border is a great place!!!

And depending on where else you may be traveling to see in & around Southern CA, look for an alternative to LAX if at all possible!  If your travels will take you to L.A. and north and/or to Vegas, then Burbank and Ontario are better choices to fly into to avoid the hassles of traffic, security and shuttle trips that pick-up and drop-off rental cars, while John Wayne/Orange County is a good fly-in if your plans take you to Anaheim, San Diego and/or south of LA.  And depending on which airline you fly with, those secondary airports cost the same if not less than LAX.

cmjb13

Travel tips
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 07:40:34 AM »
If you are into Italian, I'd highly recommend Palermo's on Vermont Ave.

Best Pizza I've ever had (Pizza Rosa). They give you a free sample before you order.

Closed Tuesdays
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

Travel tips
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:50:31 AM »
I was hoping to go around my birthday (8/7), but it appears Price is in a taping break during then.

According to the site, the first taping date in August is the 22nd.  

Question for those of you who have been out there:  do they take breaks at the same times each year?  My wife and I were considering going out there this year, but she and I can usually only get vacation time together in the first part of August.  She's already booked her vacation and it will be hard to change it.  I'm a bit more flexable.  If we were to wait until 2006, would it be more likely they'd be taping during that time - or is that a permanent yearly break?

Oh well...maybe we can see "Jeopardy" instead!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

cmjb13

Travel tips
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »
While not identical every year, the break is usually a few weeks from late July to early-late August.

And then there's the Holiday break after taping a few shows in early December, which resumes in January.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

gameshowguy2000

Travel tips
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 08:16:59 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 21 2005, 06:40 AM\']If you are into Italian, I'd highly recommend Palermo's on Vermont Ave.

Best Pizza I've ever had (Pizza Rosa). They give you a free sample before you order.

Closed Tuesdays
[snapback]75581[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's not a bad idea, if you're looking for a quick bite.

comicus

Travel tips
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »
Palermo is fantastic, yet a bit hard to find.  (At least it was for me the few times I was there.)  It's also pretty far from the attractions you want to see.  There's a good ten or so miles between Hollywood/Vermont and Beverly/Fairfax, and it's even further to SPS.  If you need something fast and messy, Tommy's on Hollywood and Bronson is quite an experience.  There's also a China Express on Sunset near a 7-11 (I *think* the cross street is Normandie -- a local can correct me if I'm wrong) which, IMHO, has the best Chinese in L.A..

As far as accomodations go, check out either the newly-renovated Metropolitan on Sunset near Tribune Studios, or the new (at least I think it's new, I don't recall it being there when I lived there) Motel 6 on Hollywood Blvd. near the 101.  I've heard nice things about the Farmers Daughter, also, but I can't personally vouch.

And yes, as TimK2003 stated, avoid LAX if you can.  Burbank is much smaller, much quicker and a little closer to the Hollywood attractions.

Oh, and don't forget to hit the Museum of TV and Radio in Beverly Hills while you're there!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Travel tips
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 10:48:45 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' date=\'Feb 21 2005, 08:01 PM\']Oh, and don't forget to hit the Museum of TV and Radio in Beverly Hills while you're there!
[snapback]75648[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'll second that emotion.  When I went to L.A. last June, I had decided to get two days worth of tix to TPiR in case I didn't get in during Day 1 (as it turned out, I didn't need to worry).  So in spite of carrying a ticket for a second day's taping I decided to forego it in favor of going to the MTR.  A couple of well spent hours, if I do say so myself (plus lunch at nearby Nate & Al's--no, I had missed Larry King by a few hours [apparently he goes there every morning for breakfast, so the waitress had told me]).

And I was at the Farmer's Daughter.  Insert your own joke here.  :)

Seriously, most helpful staff there.  They helped me coordinate transport to and from the MTR (I don't drive).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

vtown7

Travel tips
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 11:14:32 PM »
A couple of summers ago when I visited, we stayed at the Econo Lodge at (IIRC) Melrose and Vine.  Nice place, did the job, 10 min taxi ride to TPIR at 3 am in the morning :)

Oh and if you go on the 22nd you may run into alot of game show nuts... that's the first day after this year's Game Show Congress.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

LA the DJ

Travel tips
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2005, 02:49:58 PM »
Ah, thanks for all the tips, folks.
I was unaware I'll be in town for this year's GSCongress. I'll have to check it out :)

I have one more question, though. I believe I've heard there is a limit to continuous days you can attend tapings. I'll be around for a few days, and would like to see a couple shows, if that's possible.

I looked on CBS.com and couldn't find any info of this sort.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 02:50:26 PM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

tvrandywest

Travel tips
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2005, 03:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Feb 25 2005, 11:49 AM\']Ah, thanks for all the tips, folks.
I was unaware I'll be in town for this year's GSCongress. I'll have to check it out :)

I have one more question, though. I believe I've heard there is a limit to continuous days you can attend tapings. I'll be around for a few days, and would like to see a couple shows, if that's possible.

I looked on CBS.com and couldn't find any info of this sort.
[snapback]76182[/snapback]
[/quote]

There is no limit to my knowledge. You can visit CBS for TPiR as long as you comply with all rules and your permission to access the private property is not withdrawn. It helps if you can continue to laugh at the same jokes  ;-)

The GSC3 dates and location have changed. As of the latest planning session held just yesterday the tentative location will likely be the Universal Hilton and the date is shaping up as the weekend of August 20th. An announcement will be made when the specific date and venue are firmed.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

cmjb13

Travel tips
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2005, 03:18:25 PM »
Back in early 2001, I had attended 8 taping days back to back (although I couldn't see both shows on Monday, so I didn't see the shows back to back) and nobody said anything. I think they would encourage that kind of loyalty rather than discourage it.

Getting up at 4:30 and waiting through the whole process kind of gets to you.

I think I'm still feeling it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 03:25:08 PM by cmjb13 »

LA the DJ

Travel tips
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »
Ah, OK. I had a vague recollection of a contestant commenting about seeing his limit of shows from awhile back, but apparently that was in my imagination.

Kinda like that $90,000 Golden Road win from 1975 I saw.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Travel tips
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 25 2005, 02:06 PM\'][The GSC3 dates and location have changed. As of the latest planning session held just yesterday the tentative location will likely be the Universal Hilton and the date is shaping up as the weekend of August 20th. An announcement will be made when the specific date and venue are firmed.
[snapback]76186[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the update.  And continued best of luck with the planning (I hope and expect to get out there this year).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)