Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Match Game', 'Password'  (Read 7838 times)

That Don Guy

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2005, 10:17:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 09:44 AM\']Going "off the board," somewhat, I don't know how widespread this was but up until around the late 70's, our local station used to mention everyday, "Some of the programs seen today on TV5 are delayed broadcasts by means of transcription, video tape or film."  There was great care taken to let people know the shows were not live.
[snapback]75693[/snapback]
[/quote]

I recall in the early 1970s that a number of CBS shows (soap operas, mainly) had a voiceover disclaimer along the lines of "Some or all of today's CBS programs have been pre-recorded for broadcast in this time zone".  (I assume the same disclaimer was used in time zones where some shows may have been shown live and others which were live in the Eastern time zone were tape-delayed.  Wasn't there a time when the Today show aired its second hour live followed by its first hour taped in the Central time zone?)

-- Don

sshuffield70

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 10:51:21 PM »
If there was, it was before I started watching it.  We've been on an hour delay for time immemorial.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 11:19:05 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 05:17 PM\']Shows like "TRL" or "Live with Regis and Kelly"?
[snapback]75776[/snapback]
[/quote]
Doesn't LWR&K still air live in some markets, including NY?  If that's the case, seems like the legalese wouldn't be necessary.  

TRL stopped meaning something to me when I was, oh, 36.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mystery7

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2005, 11:20:20 PM »
It airs live in NY and Philly.

aaron sica

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2005, 11:25:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 11:19 PM\']Doesn't LWR&K still air live in some markets, including NY?  If that's the case, seems like the legalese wouldn't be necessary. 

Doug
[snapback]75824[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe any station that airs it at 9am (EST) does air it Live. The NBC stations that air it (like WBAL in Baltimore, for example) air it at 10am as not to interrupt the 3-hour fest which is "Today".

johnnya2k3

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 12:28:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 06:44 AM\']Going "off the board," somewhat, I don't know how widespread this was but up until around the late 70's, our local station used to mention everyday, "Some of the programs seen today on TV5 are delayed broadcasts by means of transcription, video tape or film."  There was great care taken to let people know the shows were not live.
[snapback]75693[/snapback]
[/quote]
I dunno if the Alaska stations during that time followed a similar practice at sign-on/off saying "Some of the programs seen today are delayed one to two weeks after their regular airings in the Lower 48." They probably stopped that after the networks began satellite distribution in 1984-85.

Jonathan Allen

dzinkin

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2005, 12:46:33 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 11:25 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 11:19 PM\']Doesn't LWR&K still air live in some markets, including NY?  If that's the case, seems like the legalese wouldn't be necessary. 

Doug
[snapback]75824[/snapback]
[/quote]

I believe any station that airs it at 9am (EST) does air it Live. The NBC stations that air it (like WBAL in Baltimore, for example) air it at 10am as not to interrupt the 3-hour fest which is "Today".
[snapback]75826[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not all of them -- here WHEC airs LWR&K live at 9 am, and delays the third hour of Today until 10 am.

trainman

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 01:14:36 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 07:17 PM\']Wasn't there a time when the Today show aired its second hour live followed by its first hour taped in the Central time zone?
[snapback]75817[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, including much of the era when Tom Brokaw was host.  The Museum of TV & Radio has in its collection an entire 1976 broadcast day from the San Diego NBC affiliate; I've watched one of the hours of that "Today" show, and Brokaw ends the hour with something along the lines of, "Some of you are leaving us now; for the rest of you, we'll be back with the news headlines."
trainman is a man of trains

Mike Tennant

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 11:26:09 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 22 2005, 04:20 PM\']At CBS, the "pre-" was dropped from "recorded" sometime in the 60s at the request of Bill Paley, who thought "pre-recorded" was redundant.
[snapback]75750[/snapback]
[/quote]
This reminds me of one of my favorite closing lines from Gary Owens on Laugh-In:  "This program was pre-recorded earlier because we found it difficult to pre-record it later."

Matt Ottinger

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 04:16:02 PM »
For the record, the Lansing NBC affiliate also runs Regis & Kelly live at 9am, and the third hour of the Today show at 10.

Also, Im wondering how much of a "rule" this FCC thing about live broadcasts really is.  Because I watch R&K a lot, and when the show is a rerun, it's still packaged to give the illusion of being a live show.  The hosts come out and give the day's date, make generic small talk, and even do the trivia with a viewer.  If you weren't paying attention (and I'm sure a lot of their viewers aren't), you'd assume it was live. What they do, of course, is tape a week's worth of intros all at once before they take off a week, and these intros get slapped onto the beginning of highlight packages.  If there are disclaimers at all, they're not very obvious.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 04:26:22 PM »
It seems to me that the announcer on "Live!" always says "this program was pre-recorded" at the end of the show.  It could be on there on the live feed for the few stations that do carry it live, or it may be added if they refeed it at 10 a.m. ET.  (I believe on live days "Live!" still runs live robocam shots of Central Park with the WABC time and temp graphic in the corner on some bumpers--with the "ABC7" logo taken out, of course.)

And yes, from the dawn of videotape until the early 80s, Central time zone viewers saw the second hour of "Today" live and the first hour on tape.  I believe it was Steve Friedman who decided to have the show air in the same order in all time zones, because "GMA" was already doing that.

14gameshows

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 04:34:53 PM »
IIRC, some markets in the east coast view Regis & Kelly at 10am, compared to the majority of markets airing it "LIVE" so to speak.  OK is Steve Friedman and Harry Friedman related?  Isn't Harry Friedman a consultant on CBS's Early Show?

uncamark

'Match Game', 'Password'
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 04:41:46 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Feb 23 2005, 04:34 PM\']IIRC, some markets in the east coast view Regis & Kelly at 10am, compared to the majority of markets airing it "LIVE" so to speak.  OK is Steve Friedman and Harry Friedman related?  Isn't Harry Friedman a consultant on CBS's Early Show?
[snapback]75945[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Steve Friedman who's produced news shows is not related to Harry Friedman, as far as I know--neither is he related to the Steve Friedman who worked for Chuck Barris for many years, among other game show producers.