Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestant Mementos...  (Read 5499 times)

TimK2003

Contestant Mementos...
« on: February 26, 2005, 09:55:17 AM »
Besides "Price Is Right", how many other game shows allowed contestants (or potential) contestants to take home their nametags, name badges and/or deskplate names as keepsakes from the show?  You would think that, especially with the rarer names, the shows would let them take them since they would probably not find another Moon Unit Zappa for the show, for example.

cmjb13

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 09:58:23 AM »
I suppose the All New Let's Make a Deal might apply.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MikeK

• Martha!
Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 26 2005, 09:55 AM\']Besides "Price Is Right", how many other game shows allowed contestants (or potential) contestants to take home their nametags, name badges and/or deskplate names as keepsakes from the show?[/quote]
Randy brought his Whew! tag to GSC7 eight years ago.  (Wow, time flies.)

zachhoran

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:24:23 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 26 2005, 09:55 AM\']Besides "Price Is Right", how many other game shows allowed contestants (or potential) contestants to take home their nametags, name badges and/or deskplate names as keepsakes from the show?  You would think that, especially with the rarer names, the shows would let them take them since they would probably not find another Moon Unit Zappa for the show, for example.
[snapback]76284[/snapback]
[/quote]

The original Dawson Feud apparently did. One contestant wore their old-school Dawson Feud nametag when they returned to do the 1994-95 version.

Kevin Prather

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 08:33:13 PM »
Pat mentioned on the air that WoF contestants get to take their nametags home, but don't let Sony know about that. :-)

ChuckNet

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 12:50:13 AM »
Pat mentioned on the air that WoF contestants get to take their nametags home, but don't let Sony know about that. :-)

LOL...but they do indeed get to keep their nametags; when WoF taped in NYC 2 yrs ago, I rode the train home w/one of the night's champs, and she was still wearing her NT.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

vtown7

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 08:15:49 AM »
I'll vouch for Chuck's statement: my Wheel tag hangs proudly on my wall in my den.

Oh - and although you do get to keep your TPIR tag, don't wear it on the walk home... the looks you get aren't worth it :)

And Canadian Idol auditionees get to keep their number tags... em... er... not that I know anything about that...

Ryan :)

davidhammett

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 01:00:15 AM »
Well, Wheel must have changed its tune at some point... when I was on back in 1986, we had to give ours back.  Curses...

SplitSecond

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 01:21:48 AM »
The current version of Feud generally doesn't allow contestants to keep their nametags. Before Squares went to displaying contestant names on monitors, they didn't allow contestants to keep their nameplates.

A nametag certainly makes a nice keepsake for a contestant, but those things cost money to make.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 03:10:23 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 01:21 AM\']A nametag certainly makes a nice keepsake for a contestant, but those things cost money to make.
[/quote]
How stingy.  It can't cost that much to make a nametag.

But of course, we have to give away TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS instead.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:31:40 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SplitSecond

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 03:27:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 01:10 AM\']How stingy.  They cant cost more than $1-$2 to make.

But of course, we have to give away TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS instead.
[snapback]76451[/snapback]
[/quote]
Show of hands:

How many of you would rather have

A) a valid check in your name for $20,000

or

B) a valid check in your name for $10,000 and a piece of foam core with your name on it?

Dbacksfan12

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 03:31:22 AM »
My point is.....

A)It comes off as stingy and cheap when a production company won't afford the contestants the privelege of having a cheap piece of cardboard
B)The prize money was raised without due cause or reason.  It's a perfect example of Mo' Money Syndrome.

Going off on a tangent here...but let's say I was offered either $1,000 or one of the jumbo checks from "The Price is Right"; I'd take the check.  How else am I going to get one of those checks?
--Mark

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 03:40:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 01:31 AM\']My point is.....
A)It comes off as stingy and cheap when a production company won't afford the contestants the privelege of having a cheap piece of cardboard
[/quote]
And Split's VALID point is that the money for giving away those props adds up, and it has to come from somewhere.
Going off on a tangent here...but let's say I was offered either $1,000 or one of the jumbo checks from "The Price is Right"; I'd take the check.
Then you are a fool.
How else am I going to get one of those checks?
I dunno, but since you value one at $1,000, I'll sell you as many as you like for only $500 per.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 04:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 01:40 AM\']And Split's VALID point is that the money for giving away those props adds up, and it has to come from somewhere.
[/quote]
Let's just say it'd be a cold day in hell before anyone tried to dip into a show's craft services (i.e., lunch and snack) budget.

As a contestant coordinator, if a contestant who had been nice to me throughout the audition and taping process came up after their show and discreetly asked me if they could take home their nametag because it would mean a lot to them, I'd definitely sneak it away and let them keep it.  If an insolent jerk of a contestant was bitter because he didn't win the new car that was due him and complained that he didn't even get to keep the nametag, I'd tell him it was show policy not to hand out nametags.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 04:02:41 AM by SplitSecond »

Dbacksfan12

Contestant Mementos...
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 04:26:00 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 04:02 AM\'][/quote]
Fair enough, then.
--Mark