Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: For Those Doing Local Game Shows...  (Read 3382 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

For Those Doing Local Game Shows...
« on: February 28, 2005, 12:23:41 PM »
Hello everyone!

These questions goes out to those who have some involvement with local quiz shows in any way (Mr. Ottinger, I am looking at you!).

I am going to submit an idea for a local/regional television game show to the producer with whom I am presently interning. Everything is set in place and I already have the treatment prepared. So therein lies my inquiries:

(1) How did the ideas get submitted in the first place?

(2) For the pitchers, how did you get the idea to catch on?

(3) For the hosts, do you do everything yourself (budgets, production, etc.)?

(4) Is there someone else that I should pitch this to?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 02:48:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Feb 28 2005, 01:23 PM\']These questions goes out to those who have some involvement with local quiz shows in any way (Mr. Ottinger, I am looking at you!).[/quote]
So THAT'S the creepy, paranoid feeling I had!

This is all personal experience, and your mileage will definitely vary.

(1)  WKAR (our local PBS affiliate) decided they wanted to put on a quiz program.  They had done one in the 70s, and in the late 80s, they decided to revive it.  So the idea originated at the station.  I certainly didn't pitch them the idea, I only pitched myself as their host when I heard they wanted to do it.

(2)  Basically, what you want to do is see how your idea meets THEIR needs.  It's their station, after all.  If you're pitching to a commercial station, even a tiny one, you have to show them that it's financially in their interest to run your show as opposed to reruns of Cheers.  So even better than having the coolest game show idea ever is having already lined up SPONSORS who are willing to PAY to put your show on the air.  For QuizBusters, the station feels as though we're providing a service to the community by putting the spotlight on a lot of smart local kids.  We also have underwriters who pay a great deal of the production costs.

(3)  You're kidding, right?  The host is just about the least important cog in the wheel as far as production requirements go.  Your host might ALSO be a producer, who is actually responsible for all that stuff, but the host is just the guy who smiles and reads the questions.  In my personal situation, I'm also one of the producers, but my responsibilities have more to do with the content (writing and editing questions) than with the budget.

(4)  On a local, or even a "regional" level (whatever that is), your only market is going to be the broadcast stations in your area.  If you're more interested in making the show than you are in selling the show, I suggest you look into what cable access channels exist in your area, and just do the show yourself for the learnign experience.  I did several game shows on our cable access channel just for the fun and challenge of getting them on the air.  Looking back, it turned out to be the best thing I could have done to learn production skills, and probably was the single thing most responsible for launching me on my so-called "career".

The unfortunate reality that you need to face is that pitching a game show "idea" really isn't how it's done.  If you can get your producer friend interested, and if he's got the ear of a station manager or two, then he's going to be the one that does most of the work in getting the show off the ground.  You have to show a station more than just an "idea", you have to show a station that you're capable of getting this show made, and that it's worth it to THEM that you make it.  It's tough, which is why you don't see a whole lot of local game shows out there.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 02:50:59 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:28:23 PM »
Cable access can be a terrific place to learn. I did two shows, and with the right group of people, your dream can become reality, and you can call the shots. However, the odds are you'll also do a great deal of the work - especially in material preparation so that things stay consistent. I've rounded up contestants, begged for prizes and practically directed from the emcee podium. If you have a burning desire to do a show and you are willing to see what it looks like in actuality vs. a concept in your head or on paper - it's a good place to start. You can see if you have a watchable idea - especially when you have limitations on what you can have for your props/set/electronics, etc. Get a good group of volunteers on your side, and they can handle the things you don't know. Just make sure that if you have a full-time job and a full-time relationship/family, make sure the people in the relationship are supportive.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 09:28:56 PM by The Ol' Guy »

SamPrainito

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 01:39:43 AM »
I'm producing a game show pilot in the St. Louis area, and I need a little help, so here's yet another question for local game show producers:

Where is a good place to buy scoreboard and lockout equiptment?  Right now, I'm leaning towards the GS4 system from Game Show Mania (www.gameshowmania.com), but it's a bit pricey.  Any suggestions?

mystery7

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 01:58:30 AM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 01:39 AM\']I'm producing a game show pilot in the St. Louis area, and I need a little help, so here's yet another question for local game show producers:

Where is a good place to buy scoreboard and lockout equiptment?  Right now, I'm leaning towards the GS4 system from Game Show Mania (www.gameshowmania.com), but it's a bit pricey.  Any suggestions?
[snapback]76828[/snapback]
[/quote]
Define "pricey." $1000? $100? $10? You might want to check out Groupics for starters. Decent choice of buzzers and software, including PowerPoint templates you can probably spiff up for on-air use.

SamPrainito

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 02:19:56 AM »
The Game Show Mania "GS4" system is $5900 for three player positions.  That's what I consider "pricey", at least for a show on the local level.

-Sam

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 11:50:12 AM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 12:19 AM\']The Game Show Mania "GS4" system is $5900 for three player positions.  That's what I consider "pricey", at least for a show on the local level.

-Sam
[snapback]76831[/snapback]
[/quote]
That is in fact spendy. It's REALLY nice, though. That rackmount controller for the system is some top-notch stuff.

I have to wonder why they haven't had the pants sued off of them for the computer software they are offering, tho.  I mean, Todd's not trying to make a buck from his, so I don't see him being bothered, but these guys are clearly in it for the Benjamins.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

davewalls

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 02:50:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 01:58 AM\'][quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 01:39 AM\']I'm producing a game show pilot in the St. Louis area, and I need a little help, so here's yet another question for local game show producers:

Where is a good place to buy scoreboard and lockout equiptment?  Right now, I'm leaning towards the GS4 system from Game Show Mania (www.gameshowmania.com), but it's a bit pricey.  Any suggestions?
[snapback]76828[/snapback]
[/quote]
Define "pricey." $1000? $100? $10? You might want to check out Groupics for starters. Decent choice of buzzers and software, including PowerPoint templates you can probably spiff up for on-air use.
[snapback]76830[/snapback]
[/quote]

For anyone who has bought this system: Is it possible to change the sounds that come from the software when someone buzzes in? That would be the only negative in my situation.. (Organizing a quiz program for radio...that sound is annoying)
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)