Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Cues  (Read 5896 times)

Gus

TPIR Cues
« on: March 03, 2005, 05:01:28 PM »
I just thought this was interesting, maybe not noteworthy... but anyway, I was listening to a radio station here in Cleveland, and they're having one of those "answer-the-tough-question-to-win-the prize" type of contests...

I was listening, and they came back to that segment, and I heard a familiar piece of music playing in the background. After a few seconds of brain-racking, I identified the piece as Dig We Must, in the clear.

Now, we've all heard themes used elsewhere, but has anyone else heard individual cues used for such a purpose? Also, would it be likely that the only way the DJ got that music is because he's a theme freak like some of us, or is that music more available than I thought?

Dumb questions, I know.

wschmrdr

TPIR Cues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 06:38:43 PM »
Well, I think some cues are just plain appropriate for certain instances.

I know this is about TPiR, but the best example I can give is American Gladiators' 1993-1996 event music. I hear them used in commercials for sports events all the time.

I think in your case it was one of those "What the heck is this called?" games. DJ's have lots of sources for music. Sometimes they're available to find them online, and they make good trivia.

A couple months ago, the Letterman Show did a segment called "Bruce or Paul?", and I instantly recognized Brad Francini's edit of one of Press Your Luck's board sounds.

Music, even SFX, is DEFINITELY more available since the .com boom.

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Cues
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:47:56 PM »
Some radio stations contract with companies that provide production music in exchange for large amounts of cash or commercial inventory.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WhammyPower

TPIR Cues
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 08:10:33 PM »
Here's a semi-obvious one:

The Family Feud theme was originally used as a PiR car cue.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
TPIR Cues
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:23:49 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 07:10 PM\']Here's a semi-obvious one:

The Family Feud theme was originally used as a PiR car cue.
[snapback]76914[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'll give you one more that's not quite as obvious.

Back in the days when NBC had more high-profile sporting events, "The Bean Stalker" was used as promo music for some of their SPORTSWORLD telecasts (primarily boxing).

And am I the only one who notices a similarity between "The Bean Stalker" and Chicago's version of the Spencer Davis Group's "I'm A Man"?  Maybe--I'm probably crazy (<BrettSomers> "You can swing THAT in ragtime! <end/BrettSomers>).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

mystery7

TPIR Cues
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 09:44:36 PM »
Here's another example: USA used the 1987 Blockbusters themes in a couple of movie promos about 10 years ago. It might have shown up in other places too.

irismason42

TPIR Cues
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
I remembered the What's My Line? theme being used in one of the NBC's Live TV Bloopers that was recently aired and the Blockbusters '87 theme was also heard on the old ESPN VHS Tapes.

BrandonFG

TPIR Cues
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:28:47 PM »
I remember on the original Classic Sports Network, there was an early-80s basketball highlights show (similar to the NFL Films ones) that had a TPiR cue. I don't remember the cue, but I know it's mainly a showcase cue. I'll look it up one day.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

wschmrdr

TPIR Cues
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:58:31 PM »
The "Switcheroo" music in the 90's and the clip from "Switch" is common sports blooper music as well.

Don Howard

TPIR Cues
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 11:18:39 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 3 2005, 09:44 PM\']Here's another example: USA used the 1987 Blockbusters themes in a couple of movie promos about 10 years ago. It might have shown up in other places too.
[snapback]76927[/snapback]
[/quote]
Indeed it did. In commercials for Newhart on CBS during its final season and also on the ABC promos heralding the arrival Bargain Hunters.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:19:00 PM by Don Howard »

mystery7

TPIR Cues
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 12:08:28 AM »
TPiR gets some regular (non-Showcase) music from other sources too. The music for Easy As 1-2-3 is a piece taken from a popular production library, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the "Switch?" music is, too.

Robert Hutchinson

TPIR Cues
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »
I think I mentioned it a couple of years back, but there was nothing quite as scary as listening to the radio while heading home from work at about 1:30 AM, and hearing the DJ rambling on about something unimportant . . . over the Go theme music. "What the hell" was said out loud several times.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

whammy5000

TPIR Cues
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 02:40:25 AM »
At church last sunday, they showed this short movie that was something about Moses.  It was pretty funny.  Anyways, the clip used the All-Star Blitz theme music.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Cues
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 07:56:28 AM »
[quote name=\'whammy5000\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 02:40 AM\']At church last sunday, they showed this short movie that was something about Moses.  It was pretty funny.  Anyways, the clip used the All-Star Blitz theme music.
[snapback]76961[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow...that sounds like a fantastic way to get people not to take religion seriously.

dzinkin

TPIR Cues
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 08:04:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 07:56 AM\'][quote name=\'whammy5000\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 02:40 AM\']At church last sunday, they showed this short movie that was something about Moses.  It was pretty funny.  Anyways, the clip used the All-Star Blitz theme music.
[snapback]76961[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow...that sounds like a fantastic way to get people not to take religion seriously.
[snapback]76973[/snapback]
[/quote]
Can't be any worse than the ATGSers who worshipped at the altar of the Whammy. ;-)