Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Guide hated, hated, hated this game show  (Read 8015 times)

trainman

TV Guide hated, hated, hated this game show
« on: March 04, 2005, 01:00:12 AM »
I just acquired a back issue of TV Guide in which the review of the week is of a game show.  See if you can guess what show the reviewer is talking about based on this brief, edited excerpt.

"The first TV set I had was built like the fancy phonographs of that time (around 1938-40)....

"The first program I saw regularly...was a version of the old parlor game of charades....The 1939 charades was 10 times as fresh, pleasant, inventive, and well-produced as (name of show being reviewed)....

"(The producer has/producers have) been working toward this perfect example of (his/their) product for years.  (He knows/They know) that some people try to get as much into a given time as possible....(His/Their) idea is to get in as little as possible....it is 99.9 percent nothing....

"You've got to plan long ahead to create anything as dull as this.  Even with practice, it must have been a hard show to create."

Two clues:  this is not an obscure show, and I've liked what I've seen of this show a lot better than this reviewer did.  (No, I'm not mentioning the name of the reviewer, because that would narrow it down for all you TV Guide collectors to try to look it up.)

I'll post the answer and more of the review in a couple of days.
trainman is a man of trains

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 01:58:51 AM »
Body Language (I'm probably way off)?

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 02:00:01 AM »
I'm torn as to whether or not charades has any bearing on what the game is. Beyond that, I'm torn between several candidates. But I'll go with The $10,000 Pyramid.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 04:04:38 AM »
I'll go with ...Hollywood Squares
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:05:12 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 04:36:25 AM »
It's a toss-up between Body Language & Show-offs, but I'll go with the latter.

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 06:01:18 AM »
"Working toward this perfect example of (his/their) product for years" has me thinking this came from the Mark Goodson factory. Could it be Password?

Unrealtor

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 09:40:30 AM »
You're not actually miming things, but, for some reason, the "charades" part made me think of What's My Line?
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 05:31:28 PM »
This sounds a lot like "Body Language." As much as I liked the show, I too can agree a lot of it was nothing, timewise.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 05:55:53 PM »
I will guess Password. If memory serves, the game declared dull by many critics.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SplitSecond

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 06:02:26 PM »
If this was interesting enough for Jim to contribute, it'd have to be a standard-bearer show like What's My Line? that we all somewhat revere.  There are enough bad reviews of bad shows out there that aren't worth mentioning.

Even Tom Kennedy never spoke in totally glowing terms about Body Language.

tyshaun1

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 05:34:34 PM »
I can recall TV Guide reviewing Body Language sometime in 1985, and while they didn't give the most glowing praise (or much praise at all), they didn't lambaste it like that. My guess: I've Got A Secret.

Tyshaun

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 05:56:31 PM »
CBS TTTT
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

KWJCDon

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 06:00:17 PM »
My guess would be Body Language or Stump the Stars (Celebrity Charades).

Don

trainman

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 12:06:30 AM »
As has been correctly guessed, from the May 12, 1962 issue of TV Guide, this was Gilbert Seldes' review of "Password."

(I'm claiming fair use for research/discussion purposes in posting the entire review below, but, mods, please delete if you believe it's necessary.)

Begin quoted material:

The first TV set I had was built like the fancy phonographs of that time (around 1938-40).  On the inside of the lid was a mirror.  You lifted the lid -- the picture came off the tube upside down, got reflected in the mirror, and you saw it right side up.

The first program I saw regularly -- I was working for CBS, but NBC was on the air before we were -- was a version of the old parlor game of charades.  The most recent program I've seen -- about five hours ago -- was Password.  The 1939 charades was 10 times as fresh, pleasant, inventive and well-produced as Password of 1962.

The structure of the program follows the pattern used by the producers (Goodson-Todman) in many others (the most successful is probably What's My Line?).  It's a guessing game.  In this one you have two teams of two each.  One member of each team is given a word, the other doesn't know what it is.  (You know, though: in a voice so hushed you would think a death was being announced, an unseen man tells you.)  The one who knows gives the other a clue -- it must be a single word.

It's a riot.  The hidden word is "shape."  Clue: "figure."  No good, because, to "figure," the response is "form."  Next clue:  "Monroe."  Bingo!  What's more, the man who guessed "shape" from the "Monroe" clue was a minister.  An unseen studio audience expired with glee.

Or the hidden word is "vaudeville" and the third -- and successful -- clue given in "variety"; you fall back in admiration of the human intelligence.

Once in a while the clue-giver forgets himself and gives the hidden word.  Then it's fun.

The producers of Password can't be blamed for all this.  They have been working toward this perfect example of their product for years.  They know that some people try to get as much into a given time as possible -- Ben Casey, for instance.  Their idea is to get in as little as possible.  In Password they are as near to perfection as any human beings can hope to get -- it is 99.9 percent nothing.

The program occurs daily and once a week at night, and the only difference I could find was that at night I saw a talented movie star of about 15 years ago -- she said she was doing nothing, she'd like to do a play.  Daytime I caught a not-so-talented TV star -- he hadn't been doing much of anything.  An enthusiast of G-E College Bowl told me that Allen Ludden, who moderates both of these programs, seems happier with the collegians.

An announcement informs you that the contestants on Password have been talked to in advance.  That's to head off any suspicions you may have about the absolute honesty of the proceedings.  It is hardly worth the effort.  We know beyond any doubt that the contestants didn't know the words -- the whole thing is so dull it almost makes you long for the good old days of scandal.  But this doesn't mean that the program hasn't been carefully planned.  You've got to plan long ahead to create anything as dull as this.  Even with practice, it must have been a hard show to create.
trainman is a man of trains

SamJ93

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 12:21:07 AM »
Thanks for digging up a very interesting article.

As they say, genius is never recognized in its own time...

Maybe I'm being obtuse here, but...how does "Monroe" lead one to "shape?"

Oh...just figured it out.  Still, seems like a rather odd clue to give instead of "triangle," "square," etc.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!