Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Creating The Ultimate Game Show....  (Read 5931 times)

TimK2003

Creating The Ultimate Game Show....
« on: March 05, 2005, 11:05:24 AM »
Here's The Scenario:

The Game Show Genie grants you an opportunity to create a brand new, original 30-minute daily game show concept that will enjoy a decent run on TV.  The Genie also says you can hire anyone, dead or alive, to work their normal game show role/position.

For example, If you could hire anyone to be your Announcer, Host, Executive Producer, Set Designer, Music Composer, Director, Model, Hostess, etc... Who would your Ultimate Game Show Dream Team consist of???

And to be a little more creative:

• Where would the show be shot?
• What network would air it?
• When would it air?

You don't need to say WHAT the game show premise would be -- that is not what we are looking for...What we are looking for is WHO would be involved with your show.  And since you could choose anyone past or present, this may really be a toughie for some, as far as choosing your ultimate choices.

Good Luck & Have Fun with this one.  There should be some interesting responses among the masses!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 11:07:15 AM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 12:15:41 PM »
Mine happened in real life.  It was the week Bill Cullen hosted Password Plus with Johnny Olson announcing.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

wschmrdr

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 12:49:41 PM »
Host would have to be dependent upon the type of the game, but I'd probably pick Chuck Woolery, with Johnny Gilbert announcing. Executive Producer be Reg Grundy, whoever designed the set for Scrabble should be the Set Designer, Music Composer be Edgar Struble (he did the soundtrack for Greed), Mark Breslow directing, Janice Pennington modeling.

I'd shoot the show in New York so I'd only have to move a few hours instead of 3000 miles. I'd have CBS air it, and they'd show it at 10:30 AM, RIGHT before The Price is Right.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 12:50:22 PM by wschmrdr »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 01:44:18 PM »
Host--In life, I prefer the underdogs. I'd give the nod to Peck or Rafferty-both excellent emcees
Announcer-Jay Stewart
Music Composer-Ray and Marc Ellis
Hostess-Summer Bartholomew
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 02:50:33 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 12:49 PM\']whoever designed the set for Scrabble should be the Set Designer
[/quote]

Ed Flesh. I'd also hire him to do the set for my show. Meanwhile, the other folks...

Host: I'd want to bring in Jim Perry if it's a serious show, or Bill Cullen for a more comedic [or just not as serious] show. However, if I had to pick based on versatility, Tom Kennedy gets the nod. "Split Second". Nuff said.
EDIT: Now that I see Modor's post, Jim Peck would be a good idea. Of course, though, I'm probably biased because he's from Wisconsin.
Announcer: Have a lot of people to recruit here. Johnny Olson, Charlie O'Donnell, Jack Clark, Don Morrow, Johnny Jacobs, Bob Hilton, and you can't forget Randy West!!! If I had to pick just one, well, depends on show. Either Morrow or O'Donnell for a serious show, Hilton, Johnny O., or Randy for a "looser" show.
Executive Producer: Probably someone from Goodson----Ira Skutch or Chester Feldman come to mind. Maybe even Robert Sherman. Jay Wolpert may work, but as most of us know, he's more of "the ideas man".
Director: This one's also got a lot of folks to choose from----Chris Darley, Bruce Burmester, George Choderker, Bill Carruthers, Dana Calderwood....I could go on. Of course, you can't forget Breslow, Alter, and Skutch, either.
Music: Right off the bat, I'd pick either Score or Kalehoff. However, there have been excellent themes that came from nowhere----take "Supermarket Sweep" for example: Who the heck is Christopher Rhyne???? Heck, maybe even news music king Frank Gari could probably turn out an excellent GS theme if someone told him to.

Taping location: Studio 33. If it wouldn't work there, take it to NBC Burbank.
Network: No preference.
When: Somewhere in daytime.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 02:51:25 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Winkfan

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 04:54:29 PM »
You know, there's no such thing as an 'ultimate' game show. But I have a pair of ideas. Both would be produced by Ron Greenburg and directed by Mike Gargulio, and would be taped at either NBC in Burbank or CBS Televsion City.

#1: A 'word game' where contestants try to figure out scrambled words and then put the words together so that they form a phrase.

HOST: Wayne Cox or Michael Burger
ANNOUNCER: Randy West
HOSTESS (to introduce the contestants): Lee Meriwether

#2: A music-oriented game involving records. The bonus round would have the winner trying to guess songs that were popular on a given date in time.

HOST: Mark Richards
ANNOUNCER: Dean Goss
HOSTESS: Summer Bartholomew (alternate choice: Sally Ann Howes)

I would ask NBC to take back the 3:00pm EST slot for these shows, that way, kids can rush home from school to watch them. Or (and I know I'm gonna catch 'heck' for this) CBS can finally replace The Price is Right with these two new shows. In fact, I'd also throw in two remakes during the 10:00am slot for CBS: one of Press Your Luck with Al DuBois as host, and one of Win, Lose or Draw hosted once again by Vicki Lawrence.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--[color=\"green\"]the 'Susan Richardson of the Big Board!'[/color]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:40:27 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

Steve McClellan

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 05:15:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Mar 5 2005, 01:54 PM\']You know, there's no such thing as an 'ultimate' game show.[/quote]
Sure there is! All you have to do is create a tournament format, culminating with the return of a big winner who was enabled by some really good luck.

DANCE, monkey...

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 06:35:31 PM »
It doesn't matter what capacity he's in, you should def have Pat O'Brien on board...I'd watch that man read the LA phone book! :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 09:15:22 PM »
Well, here's my dream line-up -- based on doing a Q & A-type show:

HOST:  Bill Cullen
ANNOUNCER:  Don Pardo
MUSIC:  Score Prods.
SET DESIGN: Ed Flesh
PRODUCER:  Mark Goodson

STUDIO LOCALE:  Ed Sullivan Theatre, NY, NY
NETWORK:  NBC
AIRTIME:  10AM ET

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 09:16:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 09:15 PM\']Well, here's my dream line-up -- based on doing a Q & A-type show:

HOST:  Bill Cullen
ANNOUNCER:  Don Pardo
MUSIC:  Score Prods.
SET DESIGN: Ed Flesh
PRODUCER:  Mark Goodson

STUDIO LOCALE:  Ed Sullivan Theatre, NY, NY
NETWORK:  NBC
AIRTIME:  10AM ET
[snapback]77541[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sound effects: Michael Winslow

GSWitch

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 10:32:18 PM »
OK Game Show Genie, here's my wish list!

SORRY! THE TV GAME SHOW

HOSTESS:  Vicki Lawrence
ANNOUNCER:  Kenny Williams
MUSIC COMPOSER:  Alan Thicke
MODEL/CARD DEALER:  Dan Doherty
DIRECTOR:  Dick Carson

Taped @ NBC Studio 6A (Conan O'Brien) in New York City
NBC
9:30-10:00 (CST)

Sixteen contestants (divided into four teams; red, yellow, blue & green) play for a week.  Each team would have two gentlemen & two ladies (fair & equal like Heatter-Quigley did).  Contestants would wear turtleneack jackets of their color ala Supermarket Sweep.

Partnership Sorry would be enforced (red & yellow/blue & green are partners) to make the game go faster meaning that if a move can't be made, the partner would make that move.  If you sorry an opponent, the team who made the move would get $500, you lose $1,000 if you can't sorry an opponent & are force to sorry your partner.

Let's not forget, just like on the Mama's Family sketch of The Carol Burnett Show, if someone gets sent back home, Vicki would ring her little bell & say "Sorry!"

First partnership team to get all 4 home wins $10,000!

On special occasions, there would be Family Week for kids to play.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 10:33:35 PM by GSWitch »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 11:15:46 PM »
I showed a friend of mine that post about Sorry.  His reaction:  "I'm sorry I read this."

DrJWJustice

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 11:24:40 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 10:32 PM\']OK Game Show Genie, here's my wish list!

SORRY! THE TV GAME SHOW
[/quote]

(snip)
This idea's sorry enough to get you another Scarecrow Award.  Geez, that's two I've given away today.  Who opened the peanut gallery this morning?

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 11:35:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 11:15 PM\']I showed a friend of mine that post about Sorry.  His reaction:  "I'm sorry I read this."
[snapback]77550[/snapback]
[/quote]

Can we give non-board members, Line of the Day?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CarbonCpy

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 11:52:16 PM »
"Punch the Stupid"

Host: Geoff Edwards
Anncr:  Randy West.
Card Girl:  I dunno... Elisha Cuthburt isn't doing anything these days, is she?

Two teams, contestants vs. idiots.  Geoff will announce the category, then ask the panel of idiots a question to generate conversation.  The contestants will simply stand ready to buzz in as soon as one of the idiots says something really, really stupid.  If a contestant buzzes in at the right time, that contestant will walk across the stage to the idiot and deck 'em.  If a contestant manages to knock any idiot unconcious, they win.  The idiots win if they manage to make the contestants all break down and start crying.

Allow me to illustrate a sample round:
Geoff:   "Panel, the topic is 'game shows.'  Game shows have been a staple of American television for many years, and although they've fallen a little out of vouge in the past few years, new show ideas are always being developed.  What would you like to see in a game show?

Idiot #1:  "Sixteen contestants (divided into four teams; red, yellow, blue & green) play for a week. Each team would have two gentlemen & two ladies (fair & equal like Heatter-Quigley did). Contestants would wear turtleneack jackets of their color ala 'Supermarket Sweep.'

Let's not forget, just like on the Mama's Family sketch of 'The Carol Burnett Show,' if someone gets sent back home, Vicki would ring her little bell & say 'Sorry!'"

Contestant #2 buzzes in, mouth agape: "....."

Geoff:  "Yeah, sure, whatever.  We'll take that."

This show would be unique in that it would be the only show in the history of television where theme weeks of contestants vs. celebrities (Like, say, Carrot Top, Paris Hilton, and Uwe Boll) would bring in the ratings.  Of course, it would go without saying that the home game would be a damn goldmine.  You heard me right, folks: A mine full of gold, guaranteed!