Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DVD Recorder Question  (Read 5211 times)

curtking

DVD Recorder Question
« on: March 06, 2005, 03:32:21 PM »
I recently purchased a DVD recorder and it's the best investment I've made in years.  I spent so long toiling with my PC's TV card, editing software, and DVD burner that it is a joy to simply drop a disk in the machine and hit "record."

I do have a few questions for those of you who've been doing this longer than I:

1) When converting a tape to DVD, how much effort do you put into checking the new DVD?  Do you watch the entire show, or just spot-check? In other words, when do you feel comfortable doing away with the original tape?
2) Do you use paper labels on your DVDs?

The last one is a bit more intricate.

3) I know there will come a time when I need to make copies of some of these DVDs that I'm burning.  I know I can do this by making an ISO disk image on the hard drive, then burning that ISO onto a new DVD. Any suggestions on how to avoid compatibility issues?

I ask this because I recently burned a disk of home movies using my PC's DVD burner.  I played the disk in my set-top Panasonic DVD player and it worked fine.  Then I played it in my PS2 and it worked fine.  But when I tried to play it in my Mom's DVD player, it wouldn't play.  And it also misfired in my brother's PS2.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Curt

MikeK

• Martha!
DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »
1.  I usually skim through the recorded DVD in either double speed or 4x speed, just to make sure there are no visual glitches.  I still have the VHS tapes just in case.  I can't say the same about TiVo'ed shows.  Once they're recorded onto a DVD, they're gone.
2.  No.  I use HP DVD+Rs, which have an area where you can write a brief description with a felt-tip pen.  I use Memorex slim jewel cases, which have a liner sheet where you can write down a disc's contents.

Building on #3 a bit since I'm still a DVD recorder newbie of sorts (2 months), is there a way to make copies of a recorded DVD without getting a DVD burner or an ISO image involved?  I don't have a DVD burner on my PC.

dzinkin

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Mar 6 2005, 03:32 PM\']3) I know there will come a time when I need to make copies of some of these DVDs that I'm burning.  I know I can do this by making an ISO disk image on the hard drive, then burning that ISO onto a new DVD. Any suggestions on how to avoid compatibility issues?
[snapback]77205[/snapback]
[/quote]
History suggests that DVD-R discs are somewhat more compatible than DVD+R in set-top players, but the difference is much smaller than before and still decreasing.  When you use the recorder you're probably limited to one or the other, but if your recorder will use only +R discs and your computer's burner can handle -R, try making a -R copy and testing that.  Also, recordable (+R or -R) discs are still more compatible in set-top players than rewritables (+RW and -RW) are.

I ask this because I recently burned a disk of home movies using my PC's DVD burner. I played the disk in my set-top Panasonic DVD player and it worked fine. Then I played it in my PS2 and it worked fine. But when I tried to play it in my Mom's DVD player, it wouldn't play. And it also misfired in my brother's PS2.
Why it would play in your PS2 and not in your brother's PS2 is a mystery to me, unless Sony changed drive models along the way.  Either way, the players are probably fussy about what kinds of discs they'll read -- so you might need to experiment with different brands to see what works in everything.  If you need suggestions, I've had good results with TDK (+R and -R), Apple (-R only) and KHypermedia-branded discs (-R and +R) in every player I've tried them in.  YMMV, of course.

[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 6 2005, 03:42 PM\']Building on #3 a bit since I'm still a DVD recorder newbie of sorts (2 months), is there a way to make copies of a recorded DVD without getting a DVD burner or an ISO image involved?  I don't have a DVD burner on my PC.
[snapback]77208[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suppose you could chain a DVD player to the DVD recorder with AV cables, but that would result in a lower-quality analog copy.  If you mean a true digital copy, probably not, unless the DVD recorder has a built-in hard drive; where would the temporary DVD image be stored otherwise?

The Pyramids

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 04:17:05 PM »
I do not have a DVD recorder. To date I have had only one trade where the end-DVD in the mail still looks like the orginal videotape. Just one.

I do have a lot from one dependable trader that are not bad, but not as good as the above example.

However beyond that I have been left w/ shows where the sound is not in synch w/ the action, and or two items that honestly are so bad they resemble a color kinescope.
And I am not talking about something where the original source tape was bad. I'm talking about a less-than-year old Ken Jennigs 'J!' episode here.

I guess what I am saying is look and ask before you don't buy something that will just make your collection resemble the above examples.

TV Favorites

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 05:00:29 PM »
I just got a DVD Recorder a couple of days ago and have started converting over my VHS tapes.  Generally, I am only checking the episodes I dub that I know are "important" (i.e. a premiere, finale, something special happens, etc.).  If I don't have anything listed in my database of importance regarding a certain episode, I am just dubbing it straight without checking it too much.

For those of you who trade and are converting to DVDs, what are you doing with your VHS tapes?

cmjb13

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 05:35:53 PM »
Not to throw this thread to far off, but I'm currently looking at buying some sort of digital recording device.

Options I've seen:

TIVo w/TIVoToGo to burn to DVD (Lifetime fee or monthly? I may want to wait for HD TIVo, but I've been told they won't be out until next year)

DVD Recorder with integrated TIVo.

Comcast's DVR with HD recording, but no way to burn externally. Plus no HD-DVD yet.

Opinions, Advice...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 07:29:26 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Desperado

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 06:59:17 PM »
I tried a Toshiba DVD burner w/TiVo for a couple of weeks recently.  I wasn't at all happy with the compression.  Very, very noticeable.  Plus, it was another (EXPENSIVE) box to add to my already cluttered setup.

I'm now with the Comcast DVR, which I like much better for several reasons.  
1.  The compression is a lot less noticeable.
2.  Dual tuners.
3.  No expensive hardware to buy.
4.  The monthly fee is a few dollars cheaper than TiVo service.
5.  I can watch local HDTV stations.

The only TiVo feature that Comcast DVR doesn't offer is the wish lists, where you tell it to record shows by keyword.  

I don't have a DVD recorder yet, but I'll probably wait til May/June when the newer models are supposedly coming out.  Some of the recorders out there now have problems.   I don't do much archiving right now so I don't use my VCR much.  That may change when GSN adds the classics next month.  

I've got a ton of VHS tapes to eventually transfer to DVD.  Once I'm done, I'll probably only keep the VHS tapes that are really important to me.

Hope this  helps.

tvmitch

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 06:59:36 PM »
I will just tell y'all what I have, and that it works amazing, and I would recommend the setup wholeheartedly...

I bought a Gateway DVD Recorder that's the same exact model as a Lite-On (model number IIRC) SVW-5001. Works amazing. Burned at least 200 discs in 6 months, and I've had two coasters, both caused by excessive pausing while recording. When I dub shows to DVD, I no longer remove the commercials. This model burns on DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

The only drawbacks about any DVD recorder in general (and I may be wrong, and if I am, correct me) is that all but the most sophisticated recorders lack any type of editing controls. Us traders are used to letting a tape run by accident, rewinding, and overwriting the overtaped show with the next one. There's no easy way to edit like that with a DVD recorder. If you use -/+RW media, then you can erase one entire program, but not parts of it.

Also, a drawback is that if the thing decides to hiccup, your disc is toast no matter. So all this work you put into creating a 4-hour DVD goes to pot in seconds if it happens.

A big plus is that trading suddenyl becomes a whole lot cheaper, considering the weight of a VHS tape versus a DVD. The media is cheaper, too (see below).

But it's the best consumer electronics purchase I've made, with exception of my iPod. The only reason I got it is because I got an amazing deal on it - I think I paid about $130 shipped from HSN's website with a careful sprinkling of coupons.

I've found that using the 4-hour setting (EP on my model) makes DVDs that looks 95% as good as the original copy. The SLP (6-hour) setting I'll use for random GSN stuff (hurray Rafferty!) in case it's good, but that's about it.

As for media, I use the brand called Whatever Happens To Be Cheapest At OfficeMax or Staples. This brand works fine. I haven't had any certain media create poorer quality copies than others, or any other kind of quality issues. I've ended up buying a lot of Teon discs, which are ridiculously cheap at Staples. I just got a spindle of 25 HP-brand +R's for $8 at Circuit City, which wasn't bad either...they have a nice giant white blank area on top that's nice to write on for cataloging.

Keep in mind that there are very few DVD manufacturers who actually produce the discs themselves. Quality is for the most part uniform (and I know some of you will have some brands-to-avoid stories, and I'd like to hear them) but I have seen that if you get a spindle of discs labeled "Made in Japan" that they work especially well. If you care about uniformity in the way your library looks once converted, or in trading or whatever, then by all means buy all kinds of expensive discs...I'll settle for the cheapies!

Figure: any decent 6-hour VHS tape costs no less than $1, and you can get 100 hours of DVD recording time for $8. The silly recorder starts to pay for itself if you do any volume of trading.

If money was no object right now, I was at Circuit City the other day and they have this 120GB hard drive / DVD-R/-RW burner / TiVo thing...the staff had to wipe up the drool after I left. Man. How cool would that be?

For the one who was askiing for advice...you have to figure that lifetime fee out for yourself. That's a giant fee PER UNIT, not for you yourself as a consumer. $299 is about two years' worth of service...so if you think you'll have it for more than two years and can afford the $299, you should go for the lifetime. And you can pop in a 20398402398GB hard drive when they become available.

But who knows what technology might be here in two years?

Comcast's DVR thing is a ripoff, stay far away from that.

Let's hear from everyone else!
You should follow me on Twitter

The Pyramids

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 08:09:14 PM »
Clearly I do not know a lot about them.

Can you watch & record a show at the same time through the tv, just like a VCR, on a DVD recorder and then watch it minutes later? Or do you always have to tape first, then dub (or burn) it onto your DVD recorder?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 08:09:35 PM by PaulD »

Desperado

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
The Comcast DVR is hardly a ripoff.  I don't know where you get that.  If you're looking for only a DVD recorder, this ain't it.  But in my experience, it does what it is intended to do much better than TiVo.  You do not want a TiVo/DVD recorder combo because no editing is possible on those units.

Go to avsforum.com's DVD recorder message board for more info.

roadgeek

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005, 12:57:57 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Mar 6 2005, 06:59 PM\']Keep in mind that there are very few DVD manufacturers who actually produce the discs themselves. Quality is for the most part uniform (and I know some of you will have some brands-to-avoid stories, and I'd like to hear them) but I have seen that if you get a spindle of discs labeled "Made in Japan" that they work especially well. If you care about uniformity in the way your library looks once converted, or in trading or whatever, then by all means buy all kinds of expensive discs...I'll settle for the cheapies!
[snapback]77226[/snapback]
[/quote]
Since you asked about "brands-to-avoid stories"... :-)  I think this issue really does depend on the recorder.  I found Maxell DVD-Rs to work very well, but for some reason I thought "Philips is a well-known, high-quality brand... I'll buy their 15-pack of DVD-Rs".

D'oh! -- every disc was a toaster, at $2 a pop. ALWAYS buy the discs singly or in a small pack when you haven't used the brand before to see that they work first. I'm sure others will swear by Philips and find Maxell discs to be a waste of money.

catnap1972

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2005, 06:42:37 AM »
[quote name=\'roadgeek\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 12:57 AM\']
Since you asked about "brands-to-avoid stories"... :-)  I think this issue really does depend on the recorder.  I found Maxell DVD-Rs to work very well, but for some reason I thought "Philips is a well-known, high-quality brand... I'll buy their 15-pack of DVD-Rs".

D'oh! -- every disc was a toaster, at $2 a pop. ALWAYS buy the discs singly or in a small pack when you haven't used the brand before to see that they work first. I'm sure others will swear by Philips and find Maxell discs to be a waste of money.
[snapback]77263[/snapback]
[/quote]

Even buying them single doesn't guarantee anything...many times they'll change manufacturers between one batch and another or between quantities (single vs. 100-spindle).  The disc you bought single may not be the same ones on the spindle.

Matt Ottinger

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »
I've been driving myself crazy the last few weeks because I've had a hard time making masters of some of the work I do.  Thought at first that the recorder was giving me problems, but now I'm beginning to think I just got a bad batch of discs -- and these were TDKs, the ones I've been using for years.  Bought some Sonys and everything's working fine again.

So yeah, bad spindles happen.  Still, and despite what Mitch is saying, I think it's a very good idea to buy a recognizable brand name.  You're probably going to be OK with whatever brand you use, even the cheapies, but quality control standards (and common sense) would suggest you're going to be less likely to have a problem with the ones that cost a few pennies more.

BTW, I use paper labels routinely and have never had a problem with them ever jamming a machine or causing any trouble at all.  With a cheap software program and a few minutes for creating a template, you can get some very attractive results -- if that matters to you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 11:31:47 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 11:29:28 AM »
Can you get your money back if you get one or two bad disks or is it not worth the effort?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

DVD Recorder Question
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 11:33:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 7 2005, 12:29 PM\']Can you get your money back if you get one or two bad disks or is it not worth the effort?[/quote]
I've never pursued it myself so I don't know what the process would be.  But since even the most expensive brands are less than a dollar a disc nowadays (in spindles), it would probably be more trouble than your time is worth.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.