Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! question  (Read 4862 times)

dmota104

Jeopardy! question
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 08:59:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 4 2005, 11:44 AM\']There's a very limited amount of space for a clue to be presented in one of those screens.  The writers aren't about to waste that space to specifically say "first and last name required" on those very few times when it's necessary.  That's Alex's job.  Everybody who's playing knows the rules about that sort of thing before they start.

And please don't compare Jeopardy to the quiz round of Dog Eat Dog.  I'm eating lunch right now.
[snapback]76990[/snapback]
[/quote]

Regarding the space limitations, I think I read there's a maximum of 7 lines of text with no more than 15 characters per line.  With that said, let's just test this out....

THE FIRST AND
LAST NAME OF
THE WINNER
OF THE 2000
LADIES' FINAL
AT WIMBLEDON

...that should fit the space requirements with one line to spare.  Granted, "the first and last name of" is eating up two lines of text.  But, with some creative writing, it could work.

BTW, I wasn't necessarily "comparing" DED with J! -- just "borrowing" one of DED's questions.  

With regard to U.S. Presidents, I think it's a given Alex would react "Which one?" when a player responds "Who is Bush?" or "Who is Johnson?" or brings up another President with a shared last name, familial or otherwise.  Much the same could be said with royalty, popes and the like.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Jeopardy! question
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
"FULL NAME OF..."

will cut one line out from that.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy! question
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 02:01:12 PM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Mar 8 2005, 09:59 AM\']...that should fit the space requirements with one line to spare.  Granted, "the first and last name of" is eating up two lines of text.  But, with some creative writing, it could work.[/quote]
Congratulations for figuring out a way for that one clue to work.  The writers would much rather be creative with that space by giving out interesting or unusual information.  If you actually pay attention to the clues, they are hardly ever as straightforward as your example.  

More importantly, unless you do it for every single clue that requires a person's name (which would get redundant in a hurry), the fact that you request a first and last name is too much of a tipoff to the players.  Someone who might not otherwise have a clue about Wimbledon 2000 can now assume that it's one of the Williams sisters.  That's just not good writing.  Which is, of course, why the professional writers who concoct the Jeopardy clues DON'T DO IT.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.