Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Best of GS Moments" with Ben Stein?  (Read 7130 times)

Steve McClellan

"Best of GS Moments" with Ben Stein?
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »
http://tvtix.com/show.php?eventID=256&scheduleID=10655

Anyone know anything more about this?

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 09:33:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Mar 11 2005, 05:48 PM\']Anyone know anything more about this?
[snapback]77910[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
Care to be a little more specific, Mr. West? :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 10:09:25 PM »
lol! Reminds me of an old college story. The assignment written on the board was "Choose one of these topics for your term paper worth 50% of your grade." One student follows the directions exactly, and turns in a one-sentence term paper that says "I chose the topic of world hunger." Needless to say, the student had to do a real paper...

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 11 2005, 06:47 PM\']Care to be a little more specific, Mr. West? :)
[snapback]77917[/snapback]
[/quote]
Because of surprises planned for shows, or for competitive reasons, or just because they want to keep their business private, some producers / production companies don't want information divulged by their employees and associates. I want to respect those confidences.

The link says it all, at least as it's planned for now. It's the same production company that contacted one of this board's members a couple of weeks back. The member posted that they were asking about "Blockbuster" information. I'll post more when it's appropriate, but count on it being a good show as some game lovers are on the staff and some good clips have been cleared.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 10:51:43 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Terry K

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 11:55:59 PM »
May I ask why its taping twice in the same day?  Are they taping two different shows?  Or just the same special twice?

jmangin

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 01:05:32 AM »
Why would they tape the same show twice?

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 01:29:04 AM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 01:05 AM\']Why would they tape the same show twice?
[snapback]78027[/snapback]
[/quote]

To get the best moments from both tapings presumably. (I.E. A prop malfunctions one taping but works fine in another, the audience for one taping laughs harder for a particular bit than the audience for the other, an ad-lib from somebody makes a piece funnier). This isn't as rare a practice as you think. Most sitcoms have done this for decades. Many of the classic "Carol Burnette Show" bloopers stemmed from a skit being done right at the first taping and the cast deciding to just have fun with it at the second taping. And David Letterman's NBC anniversary shows were all taped twice (I have both tapings of his 6th anniversary show on DVD-R, for example).

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Mar 12 2005, 10:29 PM\'][quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 01:05 AM\']Why would they tape the same show twice?
[snapback]78027[/snapback]
[/quote]

To get the best moments from both tapings presumably. (I.E. A prop malfunctions one taping but works fine in another, the audience for one taping laughs harder for a particular bit than the audience for the other, an ad-lib from somebody makes a piece funnier). This isn't as rare a practice as you think. Most sitcoms have done this for decades. Many of the classic "Carol Burnette Show" bloopers stemmed from a skit being done right at the first taping and the cast deciding to just have fun with it at the second taping. And David Letterman's NBC anniversary shows were all taped twice (I have both tapings of his 6th anniversary show on DVD-R, for example).
[snapback]78030[/snapback]
[/quote]
Kudos to Adam! He speak truth.

Most of the Norman Lear sitcoms were among the many shows that taped that way. Inspired by theatrical presentations and harkening back to the origins of sitcom filming as devised by Lucy and Desi, they performed the episodes in sequence for the live audience, without pre-taped segments, and without many re-takes. While the scripts for "All In The Family" were usually brilliant, there is a classic story of a scene playing terribly to the first audience. The cast rewrote the scene in the few hours between tapings and saved the episode. In its later years for reasons that remain unclear to me, the show reverted to taping without an audience. The edited episodes were then played on monitors to a live audience at TV City for their reaction. I can be heard guffawing on several.

Sitcoms these days usually do not tape twice; they have the audience warm-up babysit the audience while the writers huddle and rewrite jokes before trying a scene again. If you've been, you know, some sitcoms have tried to keep audiences past midnight as they tinkered and tinkered. An honorable mention to "The Nanny" for respecting their live audiences; it was a great place to work. Unfortunately, there are no weekly variety shows to report on.

Game show pilots have traditionally taped several episodes, sometimes 4 or more, to capture compelling game play and bonus round wins without manipulating the competition.

But as to this particular game show special, I still feel it inappropriate to comment right now. Details to follow.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 12:14:00 PM by tvrandywest »

WhammyPower

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 09:09:16 PM »
But let's at least credit CBS for not using stock laughter.  (No, that's not chicken stock.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 09:09:38 PM by WhammyPower »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 08:57:52 AM »
While the scripts for "All In The Family" were usually brilliant, there is a classic story of a scene playing terribly to the first audience. The cast rewrote the scene in the few hours between tapings and saved the episode. In its later years for reasons that remain unclear to me, the show reverted to taping without an audience. The edited episodes were then played on monitors to a live audience at TV City for their reaction. I can be heard guffawing on several.

I've been dying to know for years what episode that was...it's never been mentioned.  I have an idea as to what it could be, but it's too bad they've never stated which one it was.

I had read that they reverted to working without a live audience because Carroll O'Connor preferred working on a closed set.  That happened during the "Archie Bunker's Place" years.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 08:58:28 AM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 10:21:15 AM »
Just to add to the discussion (otherwise, why would I post?  ;-) ), I have a book called Take One:  Television Directors on Directing, in which Paul Bogart (who directed the last four seasons of AITF) talks about the audience.  The only season of AITF he references as having not worked in front of an audience was the final season (Meathead and Little Girl out, Stephanie in), in which he states that he "didn't like that at all."  Of course, AITF was taping at KTTV/Metromedia Square by that point (along with most of the rest of the Lear shows)--the first season of ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE brought the show back to CBS TV City.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bricon

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 12:58:24 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 13 2005, 12:10 PM\']In its later years for reasons that remain unclear to me, the show reverted to taping without an audience. The edited episodes were then played on monitors to a live audience at TV City for their reaction. I can be heard guffawing on several.
[snapback]78048[/snapback]
[/quote]
Having worked on a sitcom that started with an audience and switched to without an audience halfway through the season, I can tell you that a couple of reasons for this are ease of taping the scenes out of order, which would confuse the hell out of a studio audience (hell, it confused ME the first few shows!).  By doing that you can group your taped scenes by set - do all the kitchen scenes first (barring complex wardrobe changes/set redresses/etc), and try to be more efficient timewise.

Another reason is money saved.  An audience costs the production company money, as does a warmup person. (sorry Randy!!!).

ObGameShow1:  the show in question, "Marblehead Manor", was co-produced by Dames-Fraser Prods., the folks who brought you "Wipeout".

ObGameShow2:  Ray Combs was one of our warmups.

ObGameShow3:  One of our directors was Bill Foster, who directed "Just Men".

cmjb13

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 05:19:03 PM »
According to this, they are taping 4 times.

http://www.hollywoodtickets.com/ShowPages/...GoneBananas.asp
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 03:24:40 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 14 2005, 02:19 PM\']According to this, they are taping 4 times.
http://www.hollywoodtickets.com/ShowPages/...GoneBananas.asp
[snapback]78167[/snapback]
[/quote]
More details to come. For now, I think it safe to confirm the tape date is Saturday, 3/26.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 03:25:11 AM by tvrandywest »