Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Today in GSN history  (Read 4600 times)

The Pyramids

Today in GSN history
« on: March 15, 2005, 06:31:19 PM »
One year ago, on a Monday night, that the network became the network for games. Looking back....

The March line-up  seemed to vindicate fans more level-headed about the changes. Large parts of the line-up were the same like they predicted.

However the June 14th line-up seemed to vindicate the 'Just you wait, soon there will be no more classics left and don't read anything in the 'Street Smarts'  acquisition' crowd.

Chinks in the line-up happened almost from the start. Subsequent schedules in September and January were, if anything, an improvement. Various marathons and tributes also continued to mute criticism.

Now a year later the network is going back to a line-up that even the most optimistic fan would have said 'Never gonna happen' just a few months ago.

Finally, for the record (some titles & dates approximate. Not all new series & acquisitions listed):

Word Series of Blackjack: Did well and has been followed by more limited series of the  same genre.

Extreme Dodgeball: Did well enough to stay on schedule through rest of '04. No word on its future.

The Mole: Gone in June

Fake-A-Date: Gone in June

Who Dare Wins: Gone in June

Next Action Hero: Pulled from prime time in July, gone in August (should be noted that the series did poorly on NBC as well).

Spy TV: Pulled from prime time in August but remains on after midnight Sundays.

Kenny vs. Spenny: Pulled from prime time in August, gone in September.

Vegas Weddings Revealed: Pulled from prime time in August, gone in September.

Average Joe: Stayed in prime time for entire two runs but ultimately gone in September

Star Search: Pulled from prime access in July, sent to early mornings in September & remains until 4/1
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:48:57 PM by PaulD »

Pyramid80

Today in GSN history
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 07:22:24 PM »
I for one am trying to forget that March 15th 2004 ever happened.

Red

Today in GSN history
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 07:57:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Mar 15 2005, 05:22 PM\']I for one am trying to forget that March 15th 2004 ever happened.
[snapback]78302[/snapback]
[/quote]

As do I. I remember I watched it most of the day just wanting to see live footage with the green ball, one more time.
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

xibit777

Today in GSN history
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 11:11:22 PM »
Yep bad nightmare memory in my book too.  I went from keeping GSN on all night (even just in the background) to not watching a single thing in primetime.   One of my biggest schedule changes that turned me off was when they put Star Search in mornings and took away all of the classics from the first couple of hours of the day.  LMAD gone.  Morning Feud gone. 100k Pyramid gone. WoF gone.   If that isn't a major assault on classics, then I don't know what is.  It's ridiculous and GSN stayed off all morning at my place.  It got a little better when they added MG 90 though.   But still, the only thing I make sure to watch these days are Feud and MG.   Everything else I've either seen too many times (GSN originals) or stuff I just won't watch (prime time shows)

Now at least the morning / afternoon schedules will be getting better.  Hopefully prime-time will be next on the *to fix* list since ratings were down 33% in february.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 11:14:27 PM by xibit777 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Today in GSN history
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:46:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Mar 15 2005, 07:22 PM\']I for one am trying to forget that March 15th 2004 ever happened.
[snapback]78302[/snapback]
[/quote]
As do I. I remember I watched it most of the day just wanting to see live footage with the green ball, one more time.
Yep bad nightmare memory in my book too
Come on...guys...sure, we're fans of the genre; but is it that big of a deal?  Of course; its been said people are resistent to change.....
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

Today in GSN history
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 08:44:35 AM »
I think most of us probably feel that GSN's glory days are already behind them...but if the ratings stay the same or maybe even increase with these upcoming changes, maybe they'll realize a mostly "traditional" game show channel can work afterall.  (Fingers crossed)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!