Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR questions  (Read 7002 times)

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR questions
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 06:27:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 03:41 PM\']and then, a few other times, some prizes not appearing on the slotting.
[snapback]78707[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not that I expect this to change your opinion of the game...but that only happened on its last two playings, and then it was done intentionally.  All through seasons 31 and 32, the first price on each path was also the second price on one of the other paths, and the prices at the end of the paths only appeared once each.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPIR questions
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 07:56:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 03:41 PM\']The game plain, outright sucked! Bente's pastel barffest made yet another appearance, and then again with (IMHO an Eh game)[/quote]
If there ever had to be an award for not being tactful, this would be it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR questions
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 10:22:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 05:56 PM\'][quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 03:41 PM\']The game plain, outright sucked! Bente's pastel barffest made yet another appearance, and then again with (IMHO an Eh game)[/quote]
If there ever had to be an award for not being tactful, this would be it.
[snapback]78726[/snapback]
[/quote]
Why? It's his opinion. He has a right to express it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Gromit

TPIR questions
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 02:46:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 04:27 PM\']Not that I expect this to change your opinion of the game...but that only happened on its last two playings, and then it was done intentionally.  All through seasons 31 and 32, the first price on each path was also the second price on one of the other paths, and the prices at the end of the paths only appeared once each.
[snapback]78719[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm, they changed it? That was what made it a decent game, those three prizes forming six choices and the way that all three paths intertwined. That change really hurts the game, if I understand you correctly. That means that at least one of the paths was a dead end right from the start?

tvwxman

TPIR questions
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 04:31:17 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 02:46 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 04:27 PM\']Not that I expect this to change your opinion of the game...but that only happened on its last two playings, and then it was done intentionally.  All through seasons 31 and 32, the first price on each path was also the second price on one of the other paths, and the prices at the end of the paths only appeared once each.
[/quote]

Hmm, they changed it? That was what made it a decent game, those three prizes forming six choices and the way that all three paths intertwined. That change really hurts the game, if I understand you correctly. That means that at least one of the paths was a dead end right from the start?
[snapback]78861[/snapback]
[/quote]

In answer to the OP, there are no confusing games, just REALLY confused viewers after reading the above posts.

The game has not changed (aside from the price layout on the 'spots') since the original airing.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

TPIR questions
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 03:40:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 03:41 PM\']Bente's pastel barffest made yet another appearance

[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. Now who is Bente? What happened to the design person or art director (not sure who decides how games look) who preceeded him/her? Or are there more than one designer--Pocket Change and Bonkers not being part of the pastel barffest.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 03:42:02 PM by Neumms »

uncamark

TPIR questions
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 04:04:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 03:40 PM\'][quote name=\'TunaHead\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 03:41 PM\']Bente's pastel barffest made yet another appearance

[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly. Now who is Bente? What happened to the design person or art director (not sure who decides how games look) who preceeded him/her? Or are there more than one designer--Pocket Change and Bonkers not being part of the pastel barffest.
[snapback]78917[/snapback]
[/quote]

Emmy nominee Bente Christensen is a she.

Wasn't Jack Hart Bente's predecessor--or was there someone between them during those years when I lost track of "TPIR?"

Neumms

TPIR questions
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 04:04 PM\']Emmy nominee Bente Christensen is a she.

Wasn't Jack Hart Bente's predecessor--or was there someone between them during those years when I lost track of "TPIR?"
[snapback]78923[/snapback]
[/quote]

Emmy winner for TPIR? And that is the same Jack Hart of Mad magazine, correct?

Perhaps "pastel barffest" is overstating it, but Bob's TPIR wasn't tacky when it started and it sure is now. The doors, the turntable, games such as those mentioned. Yuck!

zachhoran

TPIR questions
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 08:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 07:40 PM\']

Emmy winner for TPIR? And that is the same Jack Hart of Mad magazine, correct?

[snapback]78956[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dick Debartolo was the GT employee associated with Mad Magazine IIRC.  I don't know of a Jack Hart working for Mad, but maybe there it was.

mystery7

TPIR questions
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 09:33:29 PM »
Neumms, are you thinking of MAD artist Jack Davis? Or Stan Hart the writer?

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR questions
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2005, 11:40:37 PM »
I know the thread has sorta veered in another direction, but...

[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 02:46 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 04:27 PM\']Not that I expect this to change your opinion of the game...but that only happened on its last two playings, and then it was done intentionally.  All through seasons 31 and 32, the first price on each path was also the second price on one of the other paths, and the prices at the end of the paths only appeared once each.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, what was being said was that on the last two playings, not all of the prices were used in the paths -- the second-last playing only used five, and the last only used four (with two of the paths having the same three prices, but in different orders).  I guess they wanted to make it easier to win...but On the Spot doesn't strike me as a game that's supposed to be easy.

BrandonFG

TPIR questions
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 01:30:34 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 04:04 PM\']Wasn't Jack Hart Bente's predecessor--or was there someone between them during those years when I lost track of "TPIR?"
[/quote]

I think it went from Jack to Bente c. 1997, but as they were art directors, there was a set decorator (is there a difference?) that Bob mentioned during one X-mas ep. back in the mid-90s. He was shown on camera, but I really can't remember the name.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

TPIR questions
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 01:41:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 07:40 PM\']Perhaps "pastel barffest" is overstating it, but Bob's TPIR wasn't tacky when it started and it sure is now. The doors, the turntable, games such as those mentioned. Yuck!
[/quote]

It wasn't tacky when it started? All right, but I have a strict limit on viewing tan and orange myself.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

TPIR questions
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 01:30 AM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 04:04 PM\']Wasn't Jack Hart Bente's predecessor--or was there someone between them during those years when I lost track of "TPIR?"
[/quote]

I think it went from Jack to Bente c. 1997, but as they were art directors, there was a set decorator (is there a difference?) that Bob mentioned during one X-mas ep. back in the mid-90s. He was shown on camera, but I really can't remember the name.
[snapback]79013[/snapback]
[/quote]

Corrections appreciated, but I believe the difference between "art direction" and "set decorator" is that the art director (or "set designer" or "production designer") is responsible for the overall set layout and design, while the set decorator is responsible for choosing, sprucing up and arranging large props and set pieces.  "TPIR"'s set decorators are co-nominated with Bente this year for the Emmy.

On "Wheel," I believe that while Richard Stiles does the major set design changes, art director Renee Hoss-Johnson (?) comes up with the center-stage set designs that change every week, often by simply taking stock stuff out of the Sony studio warehouse and rearranging it.

Once again, corrections from industry people would be greatly appreciated.

passwordplus

TPIR questions
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 04:31 AM\'][quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 02:46 AM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 19 2005, 04:27 PM\']Not that I expect this to change your opinion of the game...but that only happened on its last two playings, and then it was done intentionally.  All through seasons 31 and 32, the first price on each path was also the second price on one of the other paths, and the prices at the end of the paths only appeared once each.
[/quote]

[/quote]

In answer to the OP, there are no confusing games, just REALLY confused viewers after reading the above posts.

The game has not changed (aside from the price layout on the 'spots') since the original airing.
[snapback]78863[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, I have to agree with you TVWxman. Anybody recently watched a Clock Game or Race Game(today) playing? Seems like the old school games are hard to figure out, and the new ones are getting wins. Makes sense(not).

As for the colors on OTS, it was given a bad rap due to the fact that the "Hollywood Barfbowl" was in the background. Talk about psychadelic!!! I'm sure Randy can put his 2 cents worth on that one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 02:51:39 PM by passwordplus »