Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jay Wolpert and animated intros  (Read 6248 times)

SamJ93

Jay Wolpert and animated intros
« on: March 17, 2005, 09:04:40 PM »
Watching the "Blackout" intro for the first time on Jimmy's POC page (Thank you once again!), it seems Jay Wolpert was quite enamored with using animations for his shows' intros...this show, plus "Whew!", "Shopping Spree," "Wait 'till You Have Kids" (sort of) all use them.  Any others?

What's the general consensus on this?  Personally, I found the "Whew" and "Blackout" intros rather cheesy, although "Shopping Spree" wasn't bad.  I wonder what might have been for other shows he had worked on--It would've been VERY interesting to see what he would've come up with for TPiR, had he ever had more control over it.

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:30:01 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 09:04 PM\']What's the general consensus on this?[/quote]
Jay Wolpert was (is?) good friends with Joe Barbera, which might explain why most Wolpert shows have an animated open.  I know the people at Hanna-Barbera did the animation for Whew!, but I can't speak for the other animations.

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 10:00:36 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 09:30 PM\'][quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 09:04 PM\']What's the general consensus on this?[/quote]
Jay Wolpert was (is?) good friends with Joe Barbera, which might explain why most Wolpert shows have an animated open.  I know the people at Hanna-Barbera did the animation for Whew!, but I can't speak for the other animations.
[snapback]78535[/snapback]
[/quote]

Jay had worked with Hanna-Barbera on one of their shows in some way, shape, or form.  I want to say it was on the short-lived "The Skatebirds", (but then again, nearly all of Jay's work was unfortunately short-lived).  So the animated open for "Whew" might have been some sort of trade-off???  Also, H-B's parent company at the time, Taft Enterprises, also helped Jay with "Blackout".

If it *was* "The Skatebirds", Cartoon Network's Boomerang Channel aired a few eps of it last summer.  If you never saw it, think of it as a ripoff of "The Banana Splits" -- exchange Bingo, Fleegle, Drooper & Snorky with birds, put them on roller skates, and there you go.  Except this show was really, *really* bad.  The Banana Splits rocked and still do!!!

jmangin

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 10:42:40 PM »
TPiR94 had an animated logo at the end of the opening early-on in the run.  A spa, car, motorcycle and boat morphed into the words "the," "price," "is" and "right."

JIANORAN

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 11:53:19 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 10:42 PM\']TPiR94 had an animated logo at the end of the opening early-on in the run.  A spa, car, motorcycle and boat morphed into the words "the," "price," "is" and "right."
[snapback]78542[/snapback]
[/quote]

For My TNPIR Revival after the clips here's what happened

New York (WWOR) and L.A. (KNBC): See jmangin's post
Chicago (WLS): A WLS Newsvan drives to reveal Sears Tower followed by a WPVI-Style Happy people Open and in the end a Chicago Skyline as the The Price Is Right Logo appears
Philadelphia (WTXF): A Computer Animated Shot of Philadelphia starts off with Philadelphia's 'boathouse row', Art Museum, City Skyline, Liberty Place, City Hall and end up at the clock tower of Independence Hall and The TPIR Logo appears Behind the Clock Tower at Independence Hall.
San Francisco (KGO): See WLS

Anything Else?, Post Here.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:39:29 PM by JIANORAN »

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 09:57:05 AM »
[quote name=\'JIANORAN\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 11:53 PM\']For My TNPIR Revival after the clips here's what happened

New York (WWOR) and L.A. (KNBC): See jmangin's post
Chicago (WLS): A WLS Newsvan drives to reveal Sears Tower followed by a WPVI-Style Happy people Open and in the end a Chicago Skyline as the The Price Is Right Logo appears
Philadelphia (WTXF): A Computer Animated Shot of Philadelphia starts off with Philadelphia's 'boathouse row', Art Museum, City Skyline, Liberty Place, City Hall and end up at the clock tower of Independence Hall and The TPIR Logo appears Behind the Clock Tower at Independence Hall.
San Francisco (KGO): See WLS

Anything Else?, Post Here.
[snapback]78543[/snapback]
[/quote]

Huh?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 09:59:28 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 09:57 AM\']
Huh?
[snapback]78564[/snapback]
[/quote]

Friend of irismason42's maybe?? LOL

Robair

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 10:38:10 AM »
Wolpert and Hanna-Barbera created the three dino characters (Slam, Dunk and Seymour) for the "Skedaddle" show, and if I remember them correctly they were on rollerskates. That's what you probably remember.

The rest of you who tried to take this thread off in another direction, for shame.

And regarding post #5: a word to all those pregnant moms out there. For God's sake, don't play tackle football after the sixth month.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 10:40:58 AM by Robair »
--Robair

GS Warehouse

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:42:21 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 17 2005, 09:30 PM\']Jay Wolpert was (is?) good friends with Joe Barbera, which might explain why most Wolpert shows have an animated open.  I know the people at Hanna-Barbera did the animation for Whew!, but I can't speak for the other animations.
[snapback]78535[/snapback]
[/quote]
IIRC, Calico Entertainment did the open for Shopping Spree.  Formerly World Events Productions, Calico's heyday was in the mid-80s with the animated series Voltron: Defender of the Universe and Denver, the Last Dinosaur.

ObHB: HB's 2 Stupid Dogs lampooned TPiR.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 02:49:33 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 07:42 AM\']ObHB: HB's 2 Stupid Dogs lampooned TPiR.
[snapback]78569[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought they lampooned "Ren and Stimpy." Even the animation was almost similar.

Jonathan Allen

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 02:58:50 PM »
I thought they lampooned "Ren and Stimpy." Even the animation was almost similar.

Ugh. What he meant was they had a spoof on TPIR in one of the episodes.

A quick note about "Skedaddle" - do any episodes exist (on the circuit, I mean)? The descrip in the EOTVGS was just so bizarre...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

johnnya2k3

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 03:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 11:58 AM\']

Ugh. What he meant was they had a spoof on TPIR in one of the episodes.
[snapback]78591[/snapback]
[/quote]
Right, but 2 Stupid Dogs was Hanna-Barbera's answer to Ren and Stimpy (which was immensly popular at the time).

Jonathan Allen

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 03:19:37 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 03:03 PM\']Right, but 2 Stupid Dogs was Hanna-Barbera's answer to Ren and Stimpy (which was immensly popular at the time).[/quote]
I always thought 2 Stupid Dogs was a nickname for the hosts of Entertainment Tonight, since they couldn't employ the services of the legendary Pat O'Brien.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 12:19 PM\'][quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 03:03 PM\']Right, but 2 Stupid Dogs was Hanna-Barbera's answer to Ren and Stimpy (which was immensly popular at the time).[/quote]
I always thought 2 Stupid Dogs was a nickname for the hosts of Entertainment Tonight, since they couldn't employ the services of the legendary Pat O'Brien.
[snapback]78598[/snapback]
[/quote]
Or Bill O'Reilly, who was doing Inside Edition during that time.

Jonathan Allen

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 04:26:57 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Mar 18 2005, 01:23 PM\']Or Bill O'Reilly, who was doing Inside Edition during that time.

Jonathan Allen
[snapback]78599[/snapback]
[/quote]
Who is not Pat O'Brien.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe