Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So How Are Your Brackets?  (Read 3159 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
So How Are Your Brackets?
« on: March 22, 2005, 10:17:30 AM »
Surprised no one has come up with this little nugget.  Several CBS stars filled out NCAA brackets for CBS Sportsline.  Among those who filled out a sheet--Bob Barker.  If I'm reading this correctly, three of his final four are still alive (with a gutsy call to have Oklahoma State beating Illinois in Chicago and going on to win the title).

His bracket.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1100 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 11:51:16 AM »
I wouldn't exactly call Illinois losing to Oklahoma St. gutsy...it may be a better pick than most think, because Illinois could be primed for a loss (and as I remember, last time the Fighting Illini were a one seed, they were eliminated in the Elite Eight by Arizona). I've had Illinois from the outset, beating UNC in the final game, so I think that Bob's pick is going to be wrong anyway. Still, Oklahoma St. is a good team, and I would say if Eddie Sutton gets there, he'll give Illinois a good game.

And yes, the only team eliminated of Barker's Final Four is Wake Forest.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 12:35:14 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 10:51 AM\']I wouldn't exactly call Illinois losing to Oklahoma St. gutsy...it may be a better pick than most think, because Illinois could be primed for a loss (and as I remember, last time the Fighting Illini were a one seed, they were eliminated in the Elite Eight by Arizona).
[snapback]79045[/snapback]
[/quote]
Gutsy in the sense that beating them in Chicago with a major home crowd advantage will be tough.  I'm not an Illinois fan even though I live there, but Illinois hasn't lost a game in Chicago in at least four years.  That Arizona/Illinois Elite Eight game wasn't played in Chicago.

Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:44:24 PM »
What I did notice is that Bob went with a lot of conventional pool wisdom, and that is "pick most of the top seeds." I don't always agree with that- it's my theory that you have to include a couple of first round upsets by teams, because it usually will happen to at least one team. But you should never go crazy doing that. I picked three of the four 12 seeds and three of the 11 seeds to win (won with UAB and UW-Milwaukee in the first round).

And if ANYONE had Bucknell beating Kansas in the first round, you should be in great shape in your pool.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 12:51:29 PM »
For the 7th consecutive year, once Gonzaga bought it I was out.

SRIV94

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 01:25:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 11:44 AM\']And if ANYONE had Bucknell beating Kansas in the first round, you should be in great shape in your pool.
[snapback]79061[/snapback]
[/quote]
Granted, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but I did tell a couple of people that Kansas could get ousted in the first round.  Too bad I didn't go with my gut and actually take Bucknell (I'm still tied for third, though, and could still win if Illinois, UNC and Louisville all get to St. Louis).  Tall order, though.

ObGameShows:  While NBC had the NCAA tournament, game-show host turned play-by-play announcer Dick Enberg was its #1 announcer for a few years; Enberg now works games for CBS (coincidentally, he'll be working the Chicago games).

Doug