Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sajak takes on M DI BI S  (Read 6999 times)

DrBear

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« on: March 21, 2005, 05:06:47 PM »
I almost hesitate to post this because it's going to start a political argument - let's not, please? - but here's an article by Pat Sajak in the conservative publication Human Events on media bias.

You know, I'd love to see about a decade-long moratorium on any entertainer, liberal or conservative, Streisand, Springsteen, Schwarzenegger or Sajak, talking about anything serious.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 05:27:31 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 05:06 PM\']I almost hesitate to post this because it's going to start a political argument - let's not, please? - but here's an article by Pat Sajak in the conservative publication Human Events on media bias.

You know, I'd love to see about a decade-long moratorium on any entertainer, liberal or conservative, Streisand, Springsteen, Schwarzenegger or Sajak, talking about anything serious.
[snapback]78931[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember that Bill Maher tried to get Sajak to come on "PI" for a long time because he liked the idea of a conservative who wasn't an outwardly-combative type like most of the conservatives they booked on the show and more of a humorist.  Seems to me that Pat eventually was booked, but I don't recall how he did on the show.

Otherwise, I'm not making any comments one way or the other.  It's his opinion and if a conservative publication wants to pay him money to express it in print, that's their call.

Adam Nedeff

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 05:34:49 PM »
(The author of this posted is a registered Independent but generally leans left)

Kudos for Pat for expressing his opinion in a reasonable, logical, well-thought-out argument instead of the typical "Shut up-no-you shut up" political discourse you see anymore. I agree with his assessment that most "media bias" is accidental because in a journalism school, you have to write a ton of papers involving current events and it's damn difficult to write about these things without your opinions seeping through. It can be done though, and I blame sloppy or minimal training on blocking it. Professors Morris and Arnold here at Marshall went through stacks of alternative terms during my semesters in their classes.

dzinkin

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 06:09:40 PM »
Pat's written for Human Events before; I linked to this piece of his late last year.  I believe he's also written for National Review in the past; I recall reading ads for NR cruises prominently mentioning him as a featured guest.  (Attention N2Nuno: Vanna didn't go with him.)

It's clear that he's speaking from the heart and not as a mere "talking head"; whether or not you agree with him (and though I'm conservative I don't agree with him 100%), his commentary is always interesting reading.

Neumms

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 07:26:56 PM »
There's the proof, sad as it may be, that it doesn't take a genius to be a successful game show host.

comicus

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 08:40:54 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 05:06 PM\']I almost hesitate to post this because it's going to start a political argument
[/quote]

Then why on earth did you even bring it up?  Surely you know that certain individuals will not be able to resist such bait.  If Bob Barker suddently decides to indulge in a steak dinner, will that draw out of the woodwork any members of PETA who frequent this board?

This forum, to me, is a light-hearted escape from the stress and drama of everyday life and ideological debate.  The Terri Schiavo crisis is anything but light-hearted, regardless of which side you take.  I wish for it (this board, that is) to stay that way.  I hope I'm not alone in those sentiments.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 08:41:56 PM by CountdownRound »

DrBear

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 10:39:35 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 07:40 PM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 05:06 PM\']I almost hesitate to post this because it's going to start a political argument
[/quote]

Then why on earth did you even bring it up?  Surely you know that certain individuals will not be able to resist such bait.  If Bob Barker suddently decides to indulge in a steak dinner, will that draw out of the woodwork any members of PETA who frequent this board?

This forum, to me, is a light-hearted escape from the stress and drama of everyday life and ideological debate.  The Terri Schiavo crisis is anything but light-hearted, regardless of which side you take.  I wish for it (this board, that is) to stay that way.  I hope I'm not alone in those sentiments.
[snapback]78968[/snapback]
[/quote]
<tomsnyder>fairenough, sir, fairenough...</tomsnyder>
I brought it up because, of course, Pat Sajak is an active, practicing *gasp!* game show host, and there are some on this board who might be interested in things he does. And you're the first to mention Ms. Schiavo.

And if Bob enjoys a nice steak, more power to him. I love my cat, am having it neutered last month, and had a steak yesterday. With A1 sauce.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Adam Nedeff

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 10:43:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 10:39 PM\']I love my cat, am having it neutered last month, and had a steak yesterday. With A1 sauce.
[snapback]78992[/snapback]
[/quote]

It makes more sense than neutering your steak and loving your cat with A1 sauce.

The Ol' Guy

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 11:05:29 PM »
In one sense, it shows two things about Pat - he actually thinks (agreeing is optional), and he can communicate his thoughts lucidly. If the point was to prove not all game show hosts' brains have been paralyzed by too much hairspray or black dye, then the post - politics aside - was worth it.

CarbonCpy

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 11:16:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 07:26 PM\']There's the proof, sad as it may be, that it doesn't take a genius to be a successful game show host.
[snapback]78955[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uhm... what?

Don Howard

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 11:33:38 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 11:05 PM\']In one sense, it shows two things about Pat - he actually thinks (agreeing is optional), and he can communicate his thoughts lucidly.
[snapback]79001[/snapback]
[/quote]
Most people had tuned out by then, but the best moments The Pat Sajak Show ever had on CBS were during those final months when Pat, Dan Miller and a few others would gather for a discussion session at the close of the show. Too bad they didn't begin their run with that premise. The show may not have tanked. But hindsight's perfect.

DrJWJustice

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 11:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 07:26 PM\']There's the proof, sad as it may be, that it doesn't take a genius to be a successful game show host.
[snapback]78955[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK, I'll pass that on to the execs who are putting together a revival of Free4All.  I hear they need a host, and your name should be at the top of the list, given what you wrote above.

uncamark

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 12:33:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 11:33 PM\'][quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 11:05 PM\']In one sense, it shows two things about Pat - he actually thinks (agreeing is optional), and he can communicate his thoughts lucidly.
[/quote]
Most people had tuned out by then, but the best moments The Pat Sajak Show ever had on CBS were during those final months when Pat, Dan Miller and a few others would gather for a discussion session at the close of the show. Too bad they didn't begin their run with that premise. The show may not have tanked. But hindsight's perfect.
[snapback]79004[/snapback]
[/quote]

Which is exactly what Pat really wanted with the show--he had stated that he wanted to do less of the plug-your-show-and-move-down-the-couch thing of Carson and more of active discussions with a group of guests, including a group of semi-regulars that may've not been famous but were great conversationslists, that Jack Paar did.

And it seems to me that in the last months, when they got rid of the desk, changed the theme and brought in the new titles featuring Pat with Lesley, that CBS forced Miller out, despite Pat's objections.

Neumms

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 01:12:14 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 21 2005, 11:05 PM\']In one sense, it shows two things about Pat - he actually thinks (agreeing is optional), and he can communicate his thoughts lucidly. If the point was to prove not all game show hosts' brains have been paralyzed by too much hairspray or black dye, then the post - politics aside - was worth it.
[/quote]

You're right in that it was a capably written piece. My point is that Sajak's views aren't particularly new or valid. His argument is even less compelling coming as it does from a former host on the "we report, you decide" network.

Matt Ottinger

Sajak takes on M DI BI S
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 02:04:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 02:12 PM\']You're right in that it was a capably written piece. My point is that Sajak's views aren't particularly new or valid. His argument is even less compelling coming as it does from a former host on the "we report, you decide" network.[/quote]
That comment (as well as your previous one) exhibits far more political bias than Sajak has ever shown.  It's one thing to disagree with a viewpoint.  It's another to dismiss it as invalid merely because it comes from someone who used to work for a TV channel you don't like.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.