Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Treasure Hunt Question  (Read 8052 times)

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
Treasure Hunt Question
« on: March 22, 2005, 05:10:44 PM »
How many pies did Geoff Edwards get in the face on the show as well as I heard but haven't seen that in one episode he got "beaten up" as someone was supposed to punch him in the stomach. What other things happened to him other than throwing pies at him? Just wondering!!
2021 Happy Halloween

Rastaub

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 05:19:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Mar 22 2005, 05:10 PM\']How many pies did Geoff Edwards get in the face on the show as well as I heard but haven't seen that in one episode he got "beaten up" as someone was supposed to punch him in the stomach. What other things happened to him other than throwing pies at him? Just wondering!!
[snapback]79083[/snapback]
[/quote]

I took the time to haul out my copy of this episode  and look.  

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 05:24:21 PM »
BTW, what other things other than pies were thrown at him and did he really get a punch in the gut because I heard about that.
2021 Happy Halloween

whewfan

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 05:50:53 PM »
I only recall one episode where he got a pie in the face. It was a nice buildup where he was making bad puns.

Geoff: (talking with a bad accent in a Jerry Lewis-like voice) I'll tell ya what you really won.... it's a ROLLS ROYCE! (taking out a box of rice) Here's the ROYCE! (taking out a bag of rolls) and here's the ROLLS! (laughing maniacally)

Jan: You asked for it Geoff! (She pelts him in the face with a pie)

Geoff: (trying to talk with pie on his face) Ok... I've kidded you long enough... Now to get serious, and tell you what you REALLY won... You have won... A WASHER! (takes out a plumbing washer) and Dryer, which is right over there!

The curtain opens to reveal a washer and dryer, and Geoff runs over to Jan, trying to kiss her with pie still on his face. Jan looks as if she's not expecting this, so this was likely a great unplanned moment.

As for the "punching" incident... it wasn't exactly like that...

Geoff gets hypnotized by a genie (the late Johnny Jacobs, in a rare on camera appearance) and when Geoff goes into a trance, the contestant seen is hitting Geoff in the face with a large bag of money. Definitely one of the weirdest skits on the show.

Geoff was rarely a "victim" of slapstick-like stunts. Usually, the contestant was the one being pulled through the wringer. To a contestant, the show was like a roller coaster ride. All she had to do, figuratively, was strap herself in, and watch the mayhem, and maybe win a decent prize.

One blooper seen on various blooper shows is Geoff losing his composure when talking to a contestant with an alligator hat. Geoff told me about that moment. Quite simply, he couldn't help but think that, here he was, a TV personality, and he's talking to someone with an ALLIGATOR on her head!  

As for the guard, Emile Artouri, whom never cracked a smile, despite Geoff's valiant efforts, he was only allowed to say "Yes, I did" when Geoff asked if he hid the check. However, there were a couple occasions when he broke this rule. Once, Geoff asked him if he hid the check, Emile looks around and asks "Where's the cue card?" (As a security measure, the show never used cue cards, in fear that someone would find out, and attempt to steal the prizes) and Geoff lost it. Another time, Emile muttered something else unintelligible that only Geoff heard.

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:38:50 PM »
Since you seem to be the "Treasure Hunt Expert", also what was this about Geoff going over to having some lunch and leaving the contestant "out the dry" when Johnny Jacobs tells her not to look inside the box.

Also I have heard that on one or more occassions, that sometimes the show would show a close-up of Geoff's feet. I know they showed one time a close-up of his legs. But almost his feet. Explain that!! I just gotten my interest back with Treasure Hunt. Strange but funny feeling.
2021 Happy Halloween

whewfan

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 09:21:34 PM »
Uh... not much to add... it was all part of the skit. Geoff just told the contestant to wait, because he was going to get some food from the commissary. After some time passed, the audience urged her to peek inside the box, and that's when Johnny Jacobs told her (as if he was a voice from heaven) "Don't look inside that box"

As for the feet thing... I don't know... maybe the director had an odd foot fetish?

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 10:43:39 PM »
Geoff actually received a pie in the face twice, another incident happening before the one with Jan.
Back when it was on the GSN schedule, it was the 12th episode they aired.

How's that for specific records? Hah.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 10:44:47 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 11:39:32 PM »
I would have loved to see that happen before Jan when the GSN aired it!!
2021 Happy Halloween

Ian Wallis

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:52:42 AM »
"Jamaica Mistake?"  

I think the most "dangerous" things that happened to Geoff was when contestants actually won the big prize.  The wildest I ever saw was that $50,000 win by the Jamaican woman who I think lived in Canada at the time - she went nuts, tried to pick Geoff up and threw the box around the stage.    You could see him move to the side of the stage to get out of the way.

GSN has aired this series sparodically in the past.  They've only aired two episodes from the superior (IMHO) '70s version, and just over 50 of the '80s version.  I'd love to see them return it to the schedule.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 03:06:14 PM »
Well there was one klunk where Geoff had to "fix" the klunk with one of his feet.
What was that all about? Plus I think they did show a close-up of his foot perhaps!!
2021 Happy Halloween

tvwxman

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 04:29:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 03:06 PM\']Well there was one klunk where Geoff had to "fix" the klunk with one of his feet.
What was that all about? Plus I think they did show a close-up of his foot perhaps!!
[snapback]79152[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're kidding, right?

My Gawd, you're probably not kidding.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Passepartout

• Happy Halloween 2021
Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 04:38:29 PM »
Nope not joking at all one bit!!
2021 Happy Halloween

whewfan

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 05:23:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 04:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Passepartout\' date=\'Mar 23 2005, 03:06 PM\']Well there was one klunk where Geoff had to "fix" the klunk with one of his feet.
[snapback]79152[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're kidding, right?

My Gawd, you're probably not kidding.

Actually they once got a nice closeup of his eye... he suddenly got this dumb look on his face, and the camera zoomed in closer, and closer, and closer to his eye and then...

Oh wait, I'm thinking of That's So Raven... I better stop.

[snapback]79162[/snapback]
[/quote]

ChuckNet

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 10:26:02 PM »
GSN has aired this series sparodically in the past. They've only aired two episodes from the superior (IMHO) '70s version

...due to music clearance issues involving that first-season "audience box reveal" cue.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

Treasure Hunt Question
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 09:40:04 AM »
...due to music clearance issues involving that first-season "audience box reveal" cue.

Wasn't that "Palisades Park"?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!