Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Museum cof Television and Radio  (Read 5712 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Museum cof Television and Radio
« on: July 31, 2003, 08:03:35 PM »
I went today. A big thanks to everyone who helped me out in getting info. Here's what I saw:

Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour: Still one of the best sets and themes after 20 years. Great quality. My only gripes were that A) CNR was a guest, but he only played HS and B) one of the contestants was quite dumb, only getting two answers right in HS and losing 900-50.

The Moneymaze: Another great show. Slightly poor video quality, but very entertaining. A close game, with one couple coming within one question of the win in the final round. AND a $10,000 win.

Knockout: Feh. Not too great. Arte did a good job. Weird set. Starts with a $3000 loss at the 10-to-1 Knockout Bonus, then one full game, a $5000 loss, and a game that ended with one player only needing 1 letter to win.

To Say the Least: VERY interesting show. Nice set, good theme. Tom Kennedy was, as usual, an excellent host. But this game moves awfully fast, and it's easy to see why it failed.

Well, I can safely say that if you have never gone, go. You'll love it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 08:03:46 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Timsterino

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 07:41:52 AM »
It sounds like you had a fun day. The one show I have not previewed yet at the museum is the \"Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour\". Being 31, I only have a slim recollection of watching it. I will have to see that the next time I am at the museum.

Thanks for the report.

Tim :-)

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 10:03:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 06:41 AM\'] It sounds like you had a fun day. The one show I have not previewed yet at the museum is the "Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour". Being 31, I only have a slim recollection of watching it. I will have to see that the next time I am at the museum.

Thanks for the report.

Tim :-) [/quote]
 FYI, here is the panel.

CNR, Ed Begley Jr, Shannon Tweed, Bonnie Urseth, Arsenio Hall, Fred Travalena, Eddie Mekka, and [the late] Nedra Volz.

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 10:12:41 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 09:03 AM\'] Bonnie Urseth[/quote]
Not THE Bonnie Urseth?
(who?)
and [the late] Nedra Volz.

who must have been an obvious candidate for the lox box, what with being unable to answer.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 10:15:20 AM »
Bonnie Urseth was a co-star on the NBC run of We Got It Made in 1983-84. She also appeared on the $25K Pyramid as a contestant that year, and was a former contestant on Pyramid as well.

dzinkin

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 10:58:24 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Jul 31 2003, 07:03 PM\'] Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour: Still one of the best sets and themes after 20 years. Great quality. My only gripes were that A) CNR was a guest, but he only played HS and B) one of the contestants was quite dumb, only getting two answers right in HS and losing 900-50.
 [/quote]
 Glad you had such a good time!

On this note, something I neglected to mention in my earlier post... the archives listing showed another episode of MG/HS beyond the one you saw.  I didn't check it out because no celebrities were listed -- for all we know it might have been a different show, or another copy of the same show.  Just FYI. :-)

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2003, 11:45:11 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 09:12 AM\']
who must have been an obvious candidate for the lox box, what with being unable to answer.[/quote]
IIRC, Nedra was the lower right \"square,\" either that or lower center. When HSq played, she got a lot of questions about old age and being elderly, etc.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 11:51:18 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 10:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 09:12 AM\']
who must have been an obvious candidate for the lox box, what with being unable to answer.[/quote]
IIRC, Nedra was the lower right "square," either that or lower center. When HSq played, she got a lot of questions about old age and being elderly, etc. [/quote]
 Yup, lower left.

I'm curious: is this ep on the circuit? It also has a very questionable judgment during MG.

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2003, 11:52:05 AM »
My only gripes were that A) CNR was a guest, but he only played HS

That was the arrangement...they would alternate during the wk, w/4 of the celebs playing for the full hour, being replaced on the next show by the 3 who didn't play MG the day before, except for 1 lucky celeb who got to play for the entire hour all wk.

and B) one of the contestants was quite dumb, only getting two answers right in HS and losing 900-50.

MG/HS was infamous for its dumb contestants, which often became painfully apparent during the MG segment. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2003, 11:58:42 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 1 2003, 10:52 AM\']
My only gripes were that A) CNR was a guest, but he only played HS

That was the arrangement...they would alternate during the wk, w/4 of the celebs playing for the full hour, being replaced on the next show by the 3 who didn't play MG the day before, except for 1 lucky celeb who got to play for the entire hour all wk.

and B) one of the contestants was quite dumb, only getting two answers right in HS and losing 900-50.

MG/HS was infamous for its dumb contestants, which often became painfully apparent during the MG segment. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 1) CNR should have gotten to play the whole hour all week, but that's just my opinion.

2) Maybe her luck was just bad? She did do pretty well in MG.

Also, this ep has a funny wisecrack from Rayburn about Richard Simmons & Twinkies... :)

wxfrcaster

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2003, 11:49:19 PM »
A friend and I are heading up to NYC in October.  He's been before, I haven't.  Anyhow, we're planning on visiting the Museum and would like to view a couple shows.  What are a few of the \"must see\" game shows that are in the collection that we could watch?

I'm 30, he's 25 - I remember MG/HS Hour, which would be a good one - any suggestions?

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2003, 11:15:09 AM »
If you don't go for the archives, don't expect Concentration or Now You See It.

They have a 1975 High Rollers ep in the main collection from the Warhol tapes and a *studio master* of a different ep in the archives. Same goes for Celebrity Sweepstakes, but I don't think they have a master of it.

2 Kennedy Name That Tunes, and two eps with *George DeWitt*

Nothing But the Truth---1956 TTTT pilot w/ Mike Wallace

the 1961 finale of Jackpot Bowling w/ Milton Berle and Chick Hearn in the archives

and the list goes on.........

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2003, 11:19:14 AM »
They have a 1975 High Rollers ep in the main collection from the Warhol tapes

I think that's the episode I saw with Ruta Lee where she looked totally wasted
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 11:36:58 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Aug 2 2003, 10:19 AM\']
They have a 1975 High Rollers ep in the main collection from the Warhol tapes

I think that's the episode I saw with Ruta Lee where she looked totally wasted [/quote]
I guess Alex shared his stuff with her. :)

wxfrcaster

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 01:04:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice!