Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Jeopardy faux pas?  (Read 4548 times)

DrBear

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:11:38 AM »
This blog about design has a little sport with an error on Jeopardy!
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

dale_grass

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:07:42 PM »
He's absolutely right.  The red flag is the letter R.  In Arial, the right leg is straight.  In Helvetica, it has a little crook near the bottom.  One of the many differences I notice when I switch between Mac and PC.

SplitSecond

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 01:45:08 PM »
It's amusing that someone picking such a minor nit also tries to pass off a poor mock-up of the clue display as the real thing.  Note the solid blue background and the lack of drop shadow.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 01:46:03 PM by SplitSecond »

MikeK

• Martha!
A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 02:04:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 01:45 PM\']It's amusing that someone picking such a minor nit also tries to pass off a poor mock-up of the clue display as the real thing.  Note the solid blue background and the lack of drop shadow.[/quote]
Agreed that it's a minor nit to pick.  About the validity of that image, as you can see by this vidgrab of that clue, there is no dropshadowing.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 02:52:11 PM »
The correct response is wrong as well. The correct response is "typeface".

Font:
A complete set of type of one size[/b] and face.
Typeface:
The full range of type of the same design[/i].
Arial is a typeface. Arial 36 is a font.

dale_grass

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »
Since we're delving deeper and deeper into technical aspect of printing, Arial is not a typeface.  It's a type family.  Arial Black, Arial Narrow, etc. are typefaces.

mystery7

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 05:09:05 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 03:55 PM\']Arial Black, Arial Narrow, etc. are typefaces.
[snapback]79307[/snapback]
[/quote]
And very ugly ones at that. Irony: Arial was basically designed to be a ripoff of Helvetica. Type designer Mark Simonson (whose page was featured earlier in this thread) has the full scoop.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:21:06 PM by mystery7 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 05:53:18 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 04:09 PM\']And very ugly ones at that. Irony: Arial was basically designed to be a ripoff of Helvetica. Type designer Mark Simonson (whose page was featured earlier in this thread) has the full scoop.
[snapback]79323[/snapback]
[/quote]
That link didn't work, but this link does.

I had noticed that a long time ago, when I was first starting to get fonts/typefaces for my computer.  I even once referred to it as a lousy version of Helvetica (without even knowing the typeface was Arial).

What I'd really like to see become available is Helvetica Medium (closest thing out there to it is Neue Helvetica 75, but it's not exactly the same).  It's currently being used in the Dove Massage Body Wash billboard campaign, so I'm thinking it's gotta be out there (I can't fathom that they're still using metal to make these ads, but perhpas I'm wrong).

Doug -- and the countdown to 1100 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Chelsea Thrasher

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 07:58:13 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 12:45 PM\']It's amusing that someone picking such a minor nit also tries to pass off a poor mock-up of the clue display as the real thing.  Note the solid blue background and the lack of drop shadow.
[snapback]79287[/snapback]
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but it looks as though they pointed their camera directly at the television, resulting in the image you see.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:58:36 PM by Seth Thrasher »

mystery7

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 08:33:14 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 04:09 PM\']And very ugly ones at that. Irony: Arial was basically designed to be a ripoff of Helvetica. Type designer Mark Simonson (whose page was featured earlier in this thread) has the full scoop.
[snapback]79323[/snapback]
[/quote]
What I'd really like to see become available is Helvetica Medium (closest thing out there to it is Neue Helvetica 75, but it's not exactly the same).  It's currently being used in the Dove Massage Body Wash billboard campaign, so I'm thinking it's gotta be out there (I can't fathom that they're still using metal to make these ads, but perhpas I'm wrong).

[snapback]79326[/snapback]
[/quote]
The link's OK now. PS to Doug, Helvetica Medium is available from Adobe.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Mar 24 2005, 07:33 PM\']The link's OK now. PS to Doug, Helvetica Medium is available from Adobe.
[snapback]79349[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not the same weight, Mystery7.  The version I'm talking about is the same weight as Neue Helvetica 75 (there are ever so slight differences between the two--most notably in the lower case "a", the upper case "M" and in the numbers "6" and "9").

Don't know if you have old Letraset catalogues laying around, but that's the version I'm talking about (if that helps).

« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:20:23 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 10:12:22 PM »
Arial is not a typeface. It's a type family. Arial Black, Arial Narrow, etc. are typefaces.
Arial is a typeface. It's called just plain "Arial". It is the typeface from which black, narrow, etc. are derived.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 10:17:02 PM by chris319 »

uncamark

A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 02:42:03 PM »
What I'm curious about--is "J!" using the same model Chyron for the clues that they've always used?  Granted, that screen capture wasn't too hot, but those examples of "Helvetica" and "Bauhaus" had that late 70s/80s-model character generator look to them.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
A Jeopardy faux pas?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 03:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 02:42 PM\']What I'm curious about--is "J!" using the same model Chyron for the clues that they've always used?  Granted, that screen capture wasn't too hot, but those examples of "Helvetica" and "Bauhaus" had that late 70s/80s-model character generator look to them.
[snapback]79432[/snapback]
[/quote]

I would doubt it. Even the finest INFiNiT! or Duet model can put out simple-looking graphics at times.

And I checked that picture----somehow, the Korinna didn't look right either...
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.