Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Has Anyone Ever...?  (Read 6599 times)

TimK2003

Has Anyone Ever...?
« on: March 25, 2005, 09:17:18 AM »
Has anyone on the forum ever did any of the following in their younger day, that in hindsight would have paid off in a nice collection to show off nowadays?

1)  Ever participate in an audience participation event from home --  Either write in to participate in a Card Sharks or Family Feud survey and keep any sent material/questionaires from the respective show or write in to a home viewer contest and either win/or receive something for their participation?

2)  Ever write in to any of the shows for the free tickets, only to keep them for collecting purposes?

3) Ever write to a host and get a signed reply and/or picture back?

4)  Ever write to a game show to try to get something from the show (i.e. A question card with the official show logo on the back), a disposable prop of some sort, a copy of the theme, etc...)?

I'm sure many of us current game show nuts, after looking at all of the aforementioned ways to get free game show stuff in our younger days for the price of some stamps, are probably wishing we knew then what we know now...how nice & valuable a collection of game show artifacts would have been in this day & age. But for some out there, what is in your collection???

The Ol' Guy

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 10:51:57 AM »
I've been very fortunate that some producers were willing to help me make my own personal home versions of their shows - Barry & Enright sent question materials from Play The Percentages and the show format for Hollywood Connection, plus a couple of theme tapes. Heatter-Quigley sent material from To Say The Least (wondering how it could be done), Jay Wolpert sent a couple of sample Whew! board question sheets, and among the most generous, the producers of Every Second Counts sent several complete game scripts and blank cards with the show logos used for the prelim rounds and the bonus rounds. Recent attempts have not been as successful, as people I've known from the past have passed on, and copyright concerns create hesitations - I had hoped to get some material from Sex Wars (which wasn't that bad a game, compared to some) - Lighthearted claimed MGM might take issue. It's more complicated these days than it used to be. One bad experience - I asked for some material from Merv Griffin's Let's Play Post Office, and I get a terse letter from his lawyers saying no way. Perhaps the request was misunderstood (personal vs. commercial use), but I was in no way allowed to do anything with his property. I fixed him, though...I made Reach For The Stars and Memory Game anyway...  Nyaah! ;-P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 12:22:22 PM by The Ol' Guy »

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 11:27:54 AM »
I wrote in to the Hollywood Squares (Davidson version)... and got a signed picture from Shadoe Stevens.

I have no clue where it is today.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

aaron sica

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 11:53:19 AM »
A few tidbits...

I taped some daytime shows premieres when I was a kid...I messed up on the VCR so I didn't get the premiere of PYL, but I got the second day. I also remember taping a Kennedy TPiR off of WNBC-4 when it aired at 2:05am, but that's long gone, too.

I wrote into USA Network and I remember asking them to air reruns of MG ('70s and '90s), and got a standard form letter back. I also wrote each network (ABC, CBS and NBC) about an idea I had to convert "Bingo" into a game show, but was politely declined. :) Then I remember watching Trump Card in amazement because it was a lot like my idea. :)

DjohnsonCB

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 11:55:04 AM »
I wrote Alex Trebek while he was doing Classic Concentration, to tell him that I was concerned about a contestant's rebus-solving answer that might not have counted.  It spelled out "Rodeo Drive" which as we all know is pronounced "Ro DAY-Oh" when referring to the street.  But the contestant pronounced it "RO-Dee-Oh" and won anyway.  Alex sent me a card with him on the J! set, and on the back was a printed message concluding with "Please keep watching "Jeopardy!" followed by a handwritten addition: "...and also Classic Concentration!"  I'm sure I still have it.

I also got a signed letter from Jack Barry on official B & E stationary as a result of my writing to the company to tell them how disappointed I was that Jack would lend his name and production outfit to a dismal theatrical movie like "Private Lessons", as well as how I felt their game shows had fallen into a rut, being mainly ripoffs of TJW, and felt they ought to try something different.  I suggested, too, that they try to stay out of 9 AM on CBS since every game show they had aired in that slot since TJW was being bumped locally in mine and countless other markets.  I know this letter still exists.

I just recalled:  I also still have a 1978 letter from Kathie Lee Johnson which she signed herself, on actual Name That Tune stationary.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 11:55:55 AM by DjohnsonCB »
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 01:04:10 PM »
I for one, having been at the last Bergeron-era H2 taping, managed to cajole the warm up guy, Tom Riley, to sneak up to Tom's lecturn and score a couple of question cards from the last game.  One is now in the possession of Jason Hernandez.  The other is my collection; it's the last question Carrot Top ever answered.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

Mike Tennant

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 02:10:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Game Show Man\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 01:04 PM\']it's the last question Carrot Top ever answered.
[snapback]79419[/snapback]
[/quote]
If only . . .

Mike Tennant

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »
But seriously, folks . . .

I have written for (and received) signed photos of Chuck Woolery (took forever), Bob Barker, Alex Trebek, Pat Sajak, Rod Roddy, Wink Martindale, Peter Marshall, Richard Dawson (took almost as long as Chuck), and Monty Hall.  Monty actually wrote "To Mike, Maybe the next great M.C." on it.  Who could ask for a better endorsement than that?

I got Johnny Gilbert to autograph my ticket to the J! College Championship when I attended it last fall.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 09:55 AM\']I wrote Alex Trebek while he was doing Classic Concentration, to tell him that I was concerned about a contestant's rebus-solving answer that might not have counted.  It spelled out "Rodeo Drive" which as we all know is pronounced "Ro DAY-Oh" when referring to the street.  But the contestant pronounced it "RO-Dee-Oh" and won anyway.  Alex sent me a card with him on the J! set, and on the back was a printed message concluding with "Please keep watching "Jeopardy!" followed by a handwritten addition: "...and also Classic Concentration!"  I'm sure I still have it.

I also got a signed letter from Jack Barry on official B & E stationary as a result of my writing to the company to tell them how disappointed I was that Jack would lend his name and production outfit to a dismal theatrical movie like "Private Lessons", as well as how I felt their game shows had fallen into a rut, being mainly ripoffs of TJW, and felt they ought to try something different.  I suggested, too, that they try to stay out of 9 AM on CBS since every game show they had aired in that slot since TJW was being bumped locally in mine and countless other markets.  I know this letter still exists.

I just recalled:  I also still have a 1978 letter from Kathie Lee Johnson which she signed herself, on actual Name That Tune stationary.
[snapback]79410[/snapback]
[/quote]
Um, wow.

As for Private Lessons, I couldn't agree with you less. I was 13 and in the throes of puberty when they flick hit theatres. Phoebe Cates' greatest role, EVER. It is a CRIME that Kevin Kline gets to hit that. :)

But the rest...wow.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 03:53:52 PM »
I also got a signed letter from Jack Barry on official B & E stationary as a result of my writing to the company to tell them how disappointed I was that Jack would lend his name and production outfit to a dismal theatrical movie like "Private Lessons", as well as how I felt their game shows had fallen into a rut, being mainly ripoffs of TJW, and felt they ought to try something different. I suggested, too, that they try to stay out of 9 AM on CBS since every game show they had aired in that slot since TJW was being bumped locally in mine and countless other markets. I know this letter still exists.
So what did Jack Barry say in his reply to you?

dzinkin

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 07:07:06 PM »
I wrote two letters regarding TJW90 -- one to the producer (Jane Sarture) and one to Pat Finn; both replied.  In the reply from the producer, I was promised a TJW90 T-shirt when the next shipment arrived.  (Either it never arrived or she forgot, because I never got one. :-)  Pat thanked me for my compliments and said that changes were coming; he also remarked that he was "afraid of stepping into some pretty big shoes."  Both letters are still at my parents' house; I may scan and share them if there's sufficient demand.

From a touring production of The Music Man starring John Davidson, I still have a "business card" from Professor Harold Hill, and a signed album cover from Zingers from the Hollywood Squares.  (John's comment after he signed it: "I'm not even on there, am I?"  When I pointed out that he was, he said "Oh!  That was YEARS ago!")

From the 2000 Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions in Atlanta, I have a signed photo of Johnny Gilbert.  The other item he signed for me -- a can of Spam (an inside joke among friends) -- is probably still in the possession of another forum member, who is free to identify himself if he so chooses.  I was shown on camera holding the can during the closing credits, and said can helped me and several others upstage a local high school mascot. :-)  (Johnny's comment to the audience after the taping: "All right, who's the guy with the can of Spam?")

Biggest regret: a friend whose cousin worked for Tri-Star at the time offered to introduce me to "someone who worked on the original Hollywood Squares."  I didn't take him up on it and still wish I had.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 07:30:34 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 05:07 PM\'](John's comment after he signed it: "I'm not even on there, am I?"
[/quote]
Oddly enough, this is his same reaction when asked about HS'86. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 08:22:47 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 06:07 PM\']From a touring production of The Music Man starring John Davidson, I still have a "business card" from Professor Harold Hill, and a signed album cover from Zingers from the Hollywood Squares.  (John's comment after he signed it: "I'm not even on there, am I?"  When I pointed out that he was, he said "Oh!  That was YEARS ago!")
[snapback]79453[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least he didn't hug you.  :)

Regular readers of my posts (all one of you) will get it.

Doug -- and the countdown to 1100 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

vtown7

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 08:52:21 PM »
When I attended a taping of "Questions Pour Un Champion" in Paris in January 2002 I managed to get a hold of two question cards... the warm up guy thought it was hysterical that I just didn't take them when I instantly saw them but there you go.  I was also given carte blanche to take pictures of the studio and have some great snaps from a great day.  (The picture with friends and the host on the set still is the coolest thing).

Something I found, but didn't write in for... when we were cleaning out the storage room in my university residence in '98 a plexiglass sign from Reach for the Top was found... I immediately grabbed it and still have it in my possession.  Still don't understand why it was there, but there you go.

Ryan :)

sshuffield70

Has Anyone Ever...?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 09:17:51 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 25 2005, 06:07 PM\']From the 2000 Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions in Atlanta, I have a signed photo of Johnny Gilbert.  The other item he signed for me -- a can of Spam (an inside joke among friends) -- is probably still in the possession of another forum member, who is free to identify himself if he so chooses.  I was shown on camera holding the can during the closing credits, and said can helped me and several others upstage a local high school mascot. :-)  (Johnny's comment to the audience after the taping: "All right, who's the guy with the can of Spam?")
[snapback]79453[/snapback]
[/quote]

Okay, you're on!! ;) ;)