Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double DSW on TPIR  (Read 5212 times)

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Double DSW on TPIR
« on: March 28, 2005, 10:35:15 PM »
So, my wife and I are watching today's TPIR (recorded by our trusty 'ol Dish DVR).  She asked me if a Double DSW has ever happened.  Since I don't know if this has ever happened (I'm guessing not), I'll pose the question to my fellow GS fans.

She also would like to know how a tie is handled.  This is for both a regular showcase win and a DSW.

Thanks!
Matthew
--Matt

BrandonFG

Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 10:37:49 PM »
From what I've read, if both players are an equal amount off, then they both win their respective showcases. If they both are under $250 and are both equal, then they both win two showcases, and as Bob has joked, the show will go bankrupt.

The closest it's been was one instance where someone was off by $30, and the opponent was off by $29. I think the clip is on Tony Harrison's site, tpir.tv
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 10:39:41 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 10:49:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 10:37 PM\']From what I've read, if both players are an equal amount off, then they both win their respective showcases. If they both are under $250 and are both equal, then they both win two showcases, and as Bob has joked, the show will go bankrupt.

The closest it's been was one instance where someone was off by $30, and the opponent was off by $29. I think the clip is on Tony Harrison's site, tpir.tv
[snapback]79741[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just saw the clip.  Very cool!  Thanks for the quick response!!!

Matthew
--Matt

Steve Gavazzi

Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 10:52:21 PM »
Somewhere in history -- possibly on the James version -- there has been a tie.  It wasn't within the Double Showcase range, though (if the Double Showcase rule even existed when it happened.)

mbclev

Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 01:44:20 AM »
It was on the Dennis James version, and as I recall, both players were $238 away from the ARP of their respective showcases.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 02:17:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 28 2005, 11:52 PM\']Somewhere in history -- possibly on the James version -- there has been a tie.  It wasn't within the Double Showcase range, though (if the Double Showcase rule even existed when it happened.)
[snapback]79745[/snapback]
[/quote]

As far as to my knowledge, the DSW rule never crossed over into the 70's nighttime show. In the '74 daytime episode with James that GSN aired many moons ago, Dennis says...

"...because you know on daytime if you're less than $100 away, you win them both" (or something to that effect).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 02:17:44 AM by NicholasM79 »

Ian Wallis

Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:04:23 AM »
It was on the Dennis James version, and as I recall, both players were $238 away from the ARP of their respective showcases.

I remember seeing that when it originally aired, but I don't remember what the bids were.  I'm thinking that one of the contestants must have bid something like $xxx2 - because they wouldn't have had both showcases end with $x238 - would they?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JayDLewis

Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 09:59:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 29 2005, 09:04 AM\'] I'm thinking that one of the contestants must have bid something like $xxx2 - because they wouldn't have had both showcases end with $x238 - would they?
[/quote]

Just yesterday (03/28) both SCs ended in $XX,X38. Something similar also happened last year. Leaving the door open for a DDSW seems kinda dangerous..granted most contestants aren't "with it" enough and usually stumble into DSWs *BUT* there was that lady in December who made a WAG on a non-DSW friendly SC and hit the $250 on the nose...

Hey, it was the 70s...who KNOWS what they were thinking  :)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

uncamark

Double DSW on TPIR
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 06:18:21 PM »
It was during the first season, long before the DSW rule went into effect on the daytime show.

The volume was turned down because I was visiting my mother in the hospital and she hated "TPIR," but I do remember seeing total winnings flash on both podia.