Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A footnote in game show history  (Read 3178 times)

The Pyramids

A footnote in game show history
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:48:58 PM »
Heres an obscure one. Does anyone know anything about Woody Woodbury?

He was the guy who took over what was left of 'Who Do You Trust' after Johnny had left for the 'Tonight' show.

I ask because he is mentioned in passing in Lawrence Leamer's book 'King of the Night.' After Johnny left new host Woody was given the same suggestive written 'ad libs'to  you use on contestants, but unlike Johnny he just  sounded like a burlesque comic.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 10:36:26 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 27 2005, 09:48 PM\'] After Johnny left new host Woody was given the same suggestive written 'ad libs'to  you use on contestants, but unlike Johnny he just  sounded like a burlesque comic.[/quote]
Mostly, that's because that's pretty much what he was:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issu...dy-woodbury.htm

In the sixties, Woodbury flooded the market with comedy albums, which are therefore very easy to find today.  I even have a couple myself.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 06:39:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 27 2005, 10:36 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Mar 27 2005, 09:48 PM\'] After Johnny left new host Woody was given the same suggestive written 'ad libs'to  you use on contestants, but unlike Johnny he just  sounded like a burlesque comic.[/quote]
Mostly, that's because that's pretty much what he was:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issu...dy-woodbury.htm

In the sixties, Woodbury flooded the market with comedy albums, which are therefore very easy to find today.  I even have a couple myself.
[snapback]79647[/snapback]
[/quote]

He later did a syndicated daytime talk show in 1967, produced by Ralph Edwards for Metromedia (probably under the same contract as the "T or C" revival).  It only lasted one year.