Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Charlie Tuna retiring  (Read 2599 times)

geno57

Charlie Tuna retiring
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:28:28 AM »
This is from AllAccess.com today (4/1/05) ... I don't know if it's an April Fool's stunt, or truth. Guess we'll know for sure, tomorrow.

Shocker! CLEAR CHANNEL Hot AC KBIG/LOS ANGELES legendary wake up man CHARLIE TUNA is retiring from radio after spending nearly 37 years on the L.A. airwaves. The broadcasting icon announced his retirement this morning, shocking listeners and station bosses alike.

"I'm stunned," said K-BIG 104 PD DAVID "CHACHI" DENES. "I'm just absolutely stunned. We had a meeting just the other morning to discuss ideas for APRIL FOOL'S DAY, and he never said a word about stepping down. Not a word! I just can't believe it. It's like a bad joke or something."

Given the surprise nature of this morning's news, no word is currently available regarding possible replacement's or the station's future plans. "Maybe we can pry RICK DEES away from the golf course or something," DENES said. "Right now, I just don't know what we're going to do."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Charlie Tuna retiring
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:52:51 AM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Apr 1 2005, 10:28 AM\']This is from AllAccess.com today (4/1/05) ... I don't know if it's an April Fool's stunt, or truth. Guess we'll know for sure, tomorrow.
[snapback]80147[/snapback]
[/quote]
Given that R&R isn't running with the story, I'd say that there's an April Fool's joke in there somewhere (whether the joke is from the station or the trade is another question for another time).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

davemackey

Charlie Tuna retiring
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 04:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Apr 1 2005, 12:52 PM\'][quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Apr 1 2005, 10:28 AM\']This is from AllAccess.com today (4/1/05) ... I don't know if it's an April Fool's stunt, or truth. Guess we'll know for sure, tomorrow.
[snapback]80147[/snapback]
[/quote]
Given that R&R isn't running with the story, I'd say that there's an April Fool's joke in there somewhere (whether the joke is from the station or the trade is another question for another time).

Doug
[snapback]80151[/snapback]
[/quote]
Nothing on the KBIG website, or the charlietuna.com site, but he is getting up there in years and may want to consider wrapping it up. He's been working in radio since the late 1960's.

tvrandywest

Charlie Tuna retiring
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 12:18:01 PM »
Confirmed as an Aprils Fools' prank.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com