Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Joker's Jackpot  (Read 8519 times)

uncamark

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 02:23:14 PM »
Actually, the Joker's Jackpot was for winning *three* games, not four.

And as I understand it, Sony does not own the "TTD" format--just the 1978-86 series.  I believe NBC Universal currently owns the "TTD" format and title.  Sony *does* own the rights now to the "TJW" format--their cell phone version copyright notice seems to indicate that Jack Barry's sons sold everything regarding the show to them.  Any new "TJW/TTD" hour would have to be a joint venture of Sony and NBC Universal--and that's about as likely as me making it with Claudia Jordan.

GS Warehouse

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 02:33:46 PM »
Having seen some of the old CBS shows: it was originally four wins needed to win the Joker Jackpot, but that was reduced to three by the time it was first won.  Also, remember the days when a player who won the Jackpot immediately retired?  Just a few months afterward, CBS decreed as a player can win as many Jackpots (car + $2500 minimum) until he/she reaches $25,000 in total winnings.  Once a player wins a Jackpot, his/her winnings are frozen and cannot be lost even if he/she loses the very next game.  To consolidate all this rambling into one sentence, only front game cash winnings since his/her last Jackpot win are at risk.

uncamark

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 03:05:46 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 02:33 PM\']Having seen some of the old CBS shows: it was originally four wins needed to win the Joker Jackpot, but that was reduced to three by the time it was first won.  Also, remember the days when a player who won the Jackpot immediately retired?  Just a few months afterward, CBS decreed as a player can win as many Jackpots (car + $2500 minimum) until he/she reaches $25,000 in total winnings.  Once a player wins a Jackpot, his/her winnings are frozen and cannot be lost even if he/she loses the very next game.  To consolidate all this rambling into one sentence, only front game cash winnings since his/her last Jackpot win are at risk.
[snapback]79923[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd forgotten that it was originally four games.  Thanks.

Robert Hutchinson

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2005, 05:56:47 PM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 05:01 AM\']Well, I like some of your ideas Gus, but personally, I like the TTD revival idea I came up with better.[/quote]

I have to say, for a proposal that changes a lot of things, I don't think that one was half bad. One question: does the pot roll over between games? If it does, is the reduction that happens in the bonus game still applied as it rolls over? And if it doesn't, wouldn't that make most of the bonuses be worth less than what the player won in the main game?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

WilliamPorygon

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 07:44:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 06:56 PM\']I have to say, for a proposal that changes a lot of things, I don't think that one was half bad.
[snapback]79940[/snapback]
[/quote]

Glad you like it... admittedly I spent too much time coming up with this, though TTD is my favorite out-of-production game show.

Yeah, the "pot" carries over for the whole show.  I forgot that it should start with some extra amount like $2500 or so, so the bonus prize is worth significantly more than the front game prize.  The "cutting in half" deal is because I figure the game would be most of the time, and I wanted the bonus to be more for a perfect win, which would happen less often.

There are a few flaws, but since this is all hypothetical anyway I won't stress over it.

Neumms

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 08:06:25 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 02:23 PM\']And as I understand it, Sony does not own the "TTD" format--just the 1978-86 series.  I believe NBC Universal currently owns the "TTD" format and title. 
[snapback]79922[/snapback]
[/quote]

If that's the case, perhaps NBC Universal could do a TTD/"Concentration" hour. Or, maybe better, a "Twenty-One"/"Concentration" hour.

Trouble is, TTD seems terribly boring here in the 21st Century, not that I didn't love it as much as everyone else back in the day. At least the luck element of "Joker's Wild" makes it a little unpredictable, and with a bonus game involving some sort of risk, it could be pretty good.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 01:26:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Mar 30 2005, 08:06 PM\']If that's the case, perhaps NBC Universal could do a TTD/"Concentration" hour. Or, maybe better, a "Twenty-One"/"Concentration" hour.
[/quote]
Other than the fact they're both game shows, what in the blue hell do they have to do with each other?  That's worse than the old 'Net Press Your Luck-Price is Right hour, or whatever it was called.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 01:27:14 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 01:33:36 AM »
For one, both were put out by the same production company.  Granted, that was back in 1955 or something, but Tic Tac Dough, Concentration and Twenty-One were all prime-time weeklies at the same time.  So there is in fact a basis for that.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 01:40:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 31 2005, 01:33 AM\']For one, both were put out by the same production company.  Granted, that was back in 1955 or something, but Tic Tac Dough, Concentration and Twenty-One were all prime-time weeklies at the same time.  So there is in fact a basis for that.
[snapback]80018[/snapback]
[/quote]
So at best, they have a tennous connection to each other, due to the fact that B&E produced them a half-century ago.

Name me one successful hybrid show. [Not you, Travis].
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Neumms

The Joker's Jackpot
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 31 2005, 01:26 AM\']Other than the fact they're both game shows, what in the blue hell do they have to do with each other?  That's worse than the old 'Net Press Your Luck-Price is Right hour, or whatever it was called.
[snapback]80017[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, nothing. I got swept away in the other post, I'm afraid. I thought the earlier post was combining them just for sake of marketing it to stations--like the Dating/Newlywed Hour--not actually combining the two games. It's been noted here at other times that 21 and Concentration are both NBC properties, so it could be done.