Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Boden to Fox Reality Channel  (Read 4741 times)

ezbidder

Boden to Fox Reality Channel
« on: April 04, 2005, 12:41:48 AM »
I'm kinda shocked nobody posted this yet

http://www.emmys.tv/news/2005/march/bodentofoxreality.php

gtbecbp

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 01:55:42 AM »
[quote name=\'ezbidder\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 11:41 PM\']I'm kinda shocked nobody posted this yet

[snapback]80353[/snapback]
[/quote]

While I'm happy for him, I just don't understand how a reality channel could work.  Anyway, it was already tried, it's called GSN.

Ben

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 04:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'gtbecbp\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 12:55 AM\'][quote name=\'ezbidder\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 11:41 PM\']I'm kinda shocked nobody posted this yet

[snapback]80353[/snapback]
[/quote]

While I'm happy for him, I just don't understand how a reality channel could work.  Anyway, it was already tried, it's called GSN.

[snapback]80358[/snapback]
[/quote]

The feeling is that if you get the right mix of programming, it could be possible.  Also, since "reality" is not just competition and dating formats, there's other stuff that could be put in (including the stuff Fox already owns).  I already suspect that "Cops" and "America's Most Wanted" repeats will be two of their cornerstone programs, especially with Fremantle dragging their feet on "Idol" repeats.  ("Cops" has already proven itself as eminently repeatable.)  And with Boden around, who knows what kind of game shows, both original and acquired, he might try to sneak in?  Best of luck to him.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 04:41:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:39 PM\']The feeling is that if you get the right mix of programming, it could be possible.  Also, since "reality" is not just competition and dating formats, there's other stuff that could be put in (including the stuff Fox already owns). [/quote]
Add to that "Police Videos".

Speaking of Fox and their gameshows, how did that gameshow on FX work? I think it was called No Relation....but that was far before we had FX on our cable system.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 04:51:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:41 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:39 PM\']The feeling is that if you get the right mix of programming, it could be possible.  Also, since "reality" is not just competition and dating formats, there's other stuff that could be put in (including the stuff Fox already owns). [/quote]
Add to that "Police Videos".

Speaking of Fox and their gameshows, how did that gameshow on FX work? I think it was called No Relation....but that was far before we had FX on our cable system.
[snapback]80477[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ah yes, the first fX original series that wasn't from the "apartment" in the Flatiron District in New York.

Three C-list celebs attempt to figure out which member of a family of 5(?) is not really a family member.  Seems to me that the one family played the entire show and that the level of merchandise prizes got better with each stumped panelist, with the requisite trip from Travelsavers the prize for stumping the entire panel.

The Pyramids

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »
Tom Bergeron & Jeff Probst were hosts at the F/X apartment set at one time. Am I right?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 10:06:26 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 08:59 PM\']Tom Bergeron & Jeff Probst were hosts at the F/X apartment set at one time. Am I right?[/quote]
Yes.  Phil Keoghan of The Amazing Race was on staff as well.  Somebody working on the original plan really had an eye for talent!

As for Boden, it would seem to me that people like us would be happy that someone like him was running the reality channel.  He'll have an eye for games that a typical suit wouldn't.  We might end up liking some of the stuff they come up with.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 12:51:55 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:51 PM\']Ah yes, the first fX original series that wasn't from the "apartment" in the Flatiron District in New York.

Three C-list celebs attempt to figure out which member of a family of 5(?) is not really a family member.  Seems to me that the one family played the entire show and that the level of merchandise prizes got better with each stumped panelist, with the requisite trip from Travelsavers the prize for stumping the entire panel.
[snapback]80479[/snapback]
[/quote]

That brought back memories, and IIRC, it was one family for the entire show, which might explain why it was as exciting as watching paint dry.

Too bad Bobcat's Big Ass Show wasn't too much of an improvement.

Tom Bergeron & Jeff Probst were hosts at the F/X apartment set at one time. Am I right?

Add to that Karyn Bryant ("Name That Video") and Orlando Jones. Also, Edd Kalehoff did the themes for most, if not, all of the fX originals. I miss those days.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 06:12:27 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 11:51 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:51 PM\']Ah yes, the first fX original series that wasn't from the "apartment" in the Flatiron District in New York.

Three C-list celebs attempt to figure out which member of a family of 5(?) is not really a family member.  Seems to me that the one family played the entire show and that the level of merchandise prizes got better with each stumped panelist, with the requisite trip from Travelsavers the prize for stumping the entire panel.
[snapback]80479[/snapback]
[/quote]

That brought back memories, and IIRC, it was one family for the entire show, which might explain why it was as exciting as watching paint dry.

Too bad Bobcat's Big Ass Show wasn't too much of an improvement.

Add to that Karyn Bryant ("Name That Video") and Orlando Jones. Also, Edd Kalehoff did the themes for most, if not, all of the fX originals. I miss those days.
[snapback]80556[/snapback]
[/quote]

As long as we're mentioning former fX employees and (sorta) game shows, Jillian Hamilton hosted the second season of the "Whose Line?" carbon "KwikWitz."  She was out of the business for a while but returned to host the first season of TLC's U.S. version of "What Not to Wear" (unnecessary since in the original Trinny and Susannah were and are perfectly fine hosts on their own).  It looks as though the Yanks have now realized this.  Not to diss Jillian, who is a cutie pie, but she was unneeded on that show.  She also does "Double Agents" on Discovery and was doing "Simplify Your Life" on Fine Living.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 10:34:57 PM »
Continuing the fX alumni thread, Laurie Hibberd, who co-hosted Breakfast Time with Bergeron, is to the best of my knoweldge still an entertainment reporter for CBS' The Early Show, though she's slowed down her career somewhat in order to raise little Gelmans.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 10:36:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 09:06 PM\']As for Boden, it would seem to me that people like us would be happy that someone like him was running the reality channel.  He'll have an eye for games that a typical suit wouldn't.  We might end up liking some of the stuff they come up with.
[snapback]80538[/snapback]
[/quote]

Amen, brother.  I'm not exactly looking forward to this channel, but Mr. Boden's a good guy; I'm glad to see him at the helm, and hopeful that he'll amaze us all.
czambo@mac.com

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 04:34:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 5 2005, 09:34 PM\'] in order to raise little Gelmans.
[snapback]80692[/snapback]
[/quote]

<shudder>

The way you say that makes me think they're developing a new master race....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 04:38:29 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

vtown7

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 03:42:58 PM »
I met Gelman at the YTV Achievement Awards in '95... nice guy, I think this was around the time that he was getting together with her (Hibbert started out in Canada and was on our Youth TeleVision (YTV) before moving down south).

OBGameshow: Has Gelman done any game shows?  Why do I think he's done some kind of incarnation of Squares.

Ryan :)

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 07:23:35 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Apr 7 2005, 02:42 PM\']

OBGameshow: Has Gelman done any game shows?  Why do I think he's done some kind of incarnation of Squares.

Ryan :)
[snapback]80901[/snapback]
[/quote]

IIRC Gelman worked on the Davidson Squares, as per one of the celeb statements asked about him in the H2 bonus round when he was a celeb. Gelman also was a celeb on a week of Pictionary.