Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And now, the host of Password Plus...  (Read 16985 times)

JMFabiano

And now, the host of Password Plus...
« on: April 06, 2005, 10:59:17 PM »
Seeing the Kennedy PW+'s again reminded me of the stories of how Gene Rayburn, Peter Marshall, and Bill Cullen were also candidates as Allen's permanent successor.  Now from the stories I know why each couldn't or didn't want to do it (a little fuzzy on Peter's situation though).  But my question is, how well of a fit do you think PW+ would have been for each of the hosts?  

Bill of course did a good job as usual in his four weeks as sub host.  I talked a bit about Gene on my GSN review (over at my Blurty...visit today! ;-))  and how BTB85 was actually close as far as the puzzles.  But of course it wasn't the "same" Gene there, as by his admission (I believe) it was a straight Q&A otherwise...at least the main game was.  I thought the main game was easily BTB's better half (both with Gene and Joe Farago), I'd imagine it'd be even better given guest stars for Gene to interact with.  Still, it would be odd to see him outside of MG.  As for Peter...his voice ever so slightly resembled that of Allen's, but other than that I really haven't seen much of him outside of HS-like shows.  So can't really call that one.  

What do you think, sirs?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »
I'm going to go off the board and vote for Art Fleming. In your mind's ear, listen to him call out those Alphabetics board letters with each successful solve.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 11:09:00 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:14:22 PM »
If not Tom, then Bill.  Gene would have been too restrained (plus he'd have to be in Cali more than he would have liked.)  Peter would have been ok.  All three were doing five-day-a-week shows at the time so they may have been too busy.  Tom was only doing two NTTs a week in addition to P+.  Of course, had Whew! survived.......
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 11:38:07 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

daveromanjr

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 03:47:59 PM »
I had thought that is The Price is Right hadn't been successful, Bob Barker would have been great as a Password host.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 04:16:56 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Apr 7 2005, 02:47 PM\']I had thought that is The Price is Right hadn't been successful, Bob Barker would have been great as a Password host.
[snapback]80904[/snapback]
[/quote]
I disagree.  (Now here's where we need Peter Marshall!)  Bob is wonderful with audience participation games like TorC and TPIR, or even beauty pageants--anything where he gets lots of time to interact with the participants and isn't bound too strictly by the format.  A format-driven show like P+ would restrict him too much.  He might have been a competent replacement, but I don't think he would have been the best choice.

Of those suggested in the original query, I'd have to go with Uncle Bill.  Art Fleming, however, isn't a bad suggestion.  Art James, Jack Narz, or even Jim Peck would have been good, too.

Then there's always the possibility that Bert Convy could have gotten the job.  Although many have problems with his schmoozing with the stars, there's no denying he got 4 1/2 years out of SP, so perhaps he wouldn't have been a bad choice for the P+ job, either.

Neumms

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 06:18:16 PM »
I think Gene would have done a good job. He's a smart guy, and he wasn't as wild at the end of MG's run as he was earlier.

Seeing Convy on Super Password this week, he reminds me a little of John Davidson doing Pyramid, just in that the game's a little cerebral for him. Obviously, he can run a game much better than Davidson, and granted, it did have a good run, but it wasn't the perfect match, as Tattletales was.

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Apr 7 2005, 03:16 PM\']Then there's always the possibility that Bert Convy could have gotten the job.  Although many have problems with his schmoozing with the stars, there's no denying he got 4 1/2 years out of SP, so perhaps he wouldn't have been a bad choice for the P+ job, either.
[snapback]80913[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's interesting...as seeing PW+ again, I notice that when Tom started hosting, it started feeling a bit more like SP...I can't totally explain it, but somehow I thought of what you said about Bert above.  Tom was quite less subdued than Allen, so maybe that's it?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 12:02:13 AM »
What would you think of Eubanks doing Password? If a new version of Super Password came along, I could see it..a bit older, doing fewer goofy grins, reacting to odd clues like he did to some of the Newlywed Game answers. The old Password benefitted from a more cerebral host, making a simple game come off as classier. Keep him just moving the game along in a classic hosting style, and a little more casual..do you think he could pull it off?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 03:26:41 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 7 2005, 09:02 PM\']What would you think of Eubanks doing Password? If a new version of Super Password came along, I could see it..
[/quote]
My God. I would plunge a knife directly into my skull.

"Fourth and final cluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 05:40:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 02:26 AM\']My God. I would plunge a knife directly into my skull.

"Fourth and final cluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue."
[snapback]80991[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, wait, let me guess...You don't like Bob Eubanks?

daveromanjr

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 07:07:49 AM »
I can't stand Tomtato Head Eubanks, either.  

If a new version of Password came out, I think Marc Summers would be a good host of it.  He's laid back enough but I think he'd keep the game moving.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 09:02:13 AM »
Fair enough. Figure he's incapable of a style transplant, eh? I may have hoped too much...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 09:02:40 AM by The Ol' Guy »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 02:40 AM\']No, wait, let me guess...You don't like Bob Eubanks?
[snapback]80993[/snapback]
[/quote]
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 06:02 AM\']Fair enough. Figure he's incapable of a style transplant, eh? I may have hoped too much...
[/quote]
The fact that he's spent 30+ years hosting every show in the same pukey DJ style pretty much proves that, I think.

Mind, there are hosts I hate FAR more than Eubanks. I simply think his style (which is damned perfect for The Newlywed Game) was inappropriate for some of the shows he's done, and that some of the suggestions for shows he'd be good at are, with all due respect, wrong. My own damn opinion, nobody elses. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 05:11:19 PM »
Byron Allen, fresh off of "Real People", should have been considered.

Whoops! Posting on the wrong topic. Continue....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Terry K

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 07:35:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 8 2005, 04:11 PM\']Byron Allen, fresh off of "Real People", should have been considered.

Whoops! Posting on the wrong topic. Continue....
[snapback]81073[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, I'd propose Bill Rafferty.

He's truly under-rated as a host.  He did a great job with CS and BB '87.  

The thing with P+ is that firstly, TK was picked in part by Betty and Allen themselves to take over.  As Betty said "Tom took good care of Password", and secondly, if you watch the show and see the wide shots, it looks like Ludden is still there.  Tom has the same glasses and overall appearance.

(Note he looks *younger* on TPIR 85, and that's probably because they had him dye his hair for the job)