Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gene Rayburn as Match Game hit '80  (Read 2775 times)

Neumms

Gene Rayburn as Match Game hit '80
« on: April 10, 2005, 12:17:16 AM »
GSN has been showing the syndicated years of Match Game, and Gene seems off his game, like he's tired of the commute, or of Brett, or he's not as able to shake off the dinner-time vino like he used to. He's seems slower and maybe a little grumpier. Has anyone noticed that? Do any of you insiders know something? Could that have partly caused the show's demise?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:39:44 AM »
He didn't seem grumpier to me, but to me, the show just didn't have the same energy after Richard left. With him, Brett, CNR, and three good guests, MG was classic, and prolly hit it's stride right before Feud debuted, maybe even for the first year after its debut. However, after Richard's departure, the chemistry was gone. Bill Daily was OK, but still didn't fill the void.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

melman1

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 12:43:20 AM »
At times, his mood and interest level seemed to depend on who was in the panel.  Betty White always brought out the best in him.

I disagree that Bill Daily was "OK".  His buffoon's act wore very thin.  I always thought Dick Martin would have made a good permanent replacement for Dawson.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 12:44:42 AM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

whewfan

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 05:48:16 AM »
I think Richard's departure was a mixed blessing. On one hand, I'm sure Gene was glad to see him go once Richard started acting up, but on the other hand, the show lost the quick witted comic that the show needed.

Goodson-Todman did a good thing by not getting a permanent regular to fill Richard's seat. Sometimes, it worked out fine (Mc.Lean Stevenson, Dick Martin, Bill Daily, and on occasion Bill Cullen and Bob Barker) and sometimes it didn't (uhhh, who's idea was it to put KENT OLFSON there?)

The syndie MG was also known for its choppy editing. Gene must've been discouraged to have to move the game along faster, since the weeks MG taped did not air in order.

davemackey

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 05:53:06 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 05:48 AM\']I think Richard's departure was a mixed blessing. On one hand, I'm sure Gene was glad to see him go once Richard started acting up, but on the other hand, the show lost the quick witted comic that the show needed.

Goodson-Todman did a good thing by not getting a permanent regular to fill Richard's seat. Sometimes, it worked out fine (Mc.Lean Stevenson, Dick Martin, Bill Daily, and on occasion Bill Cullen and Bob Barker) and sometimes it didn't (uhhh, who's idea was it to put KENT OLFSON there?)

The syndie MG was also known for its choppy editing. Gene must've been discouraged to have to move the game along faster, since the weeks MG taped did not air in order.
[snapback]81324[/snapback]
[/quote]
The guy's name was Ken Olfson, and he wasn't too effective on Match Game. Oddly enough, Ken Olfson just missed out on the "Diff'rent Strokes" gravy train, being cast as Mr. Drummond's secretary, but his role was seen as superfluous and as quick as you could say "Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?", he was gone. (He did emerge as a guest star on a 1983 episode, however.)