Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Backstage shots  (Read 4988 times)

geno57

Backstage shots
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:29:35 PM »
I've always been hungry for good backstage photography, just to be able to see what it looks like behind the set.

There are a couple, here and there, in various books. And TPIR is very well represented online.

I'd love to see Rayburn's pre-entrance view of the big doors, or an Earl's-eye look at the slides  ... or what the BlockBusters projectors looked like from behind ... or the back of the Concentration doors.

I suppose such things would have to come from someone who worked on the shows. What else is to be found, in places I haven't looked?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 07:56:49 PM by geno57 »

aaron sica

Backstage shots
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 01:31:06 PM »
[quote name=\'geno57\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 01:29 PM\']I've always been hungry for good backstage photography, just to be able to see what it looks like behind the set.

There are a couple, here and there, in various books. TPIR is very well represented.

I'd love to see Rayburn's pre-entrance view of the big doors, or an Earl's-eye look at the slides  ... or what the BlockBusters projectors looked like from behind ... or the back of the Concentration doors.

I suppose such things would have to come from someone who worked on the shows. What else is to be found, in places I haven't looked?
[snapback]81360[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's a very interesting thought. I've often wondered what the "Family Feud" board looks like from the back as well.

tvrandywest

Backstage shots
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 02:28:44 PM »
Are you sure you want to see? The glamor is all on the living room side. There IS such a thing as "knowing too much". Nothing is more depressing than knowing a magician's tricks - you never get excited about the illusion again.

That said, most of the folks I work with see the studio as simply their workplace. To them, it would make as much sense as you going through your office or plant taking photos of desks and copy machines. But there is ONE person I know who has taken literally thousands of backstage pictures; Beverly Pomerantz has photos of cast, crew and contestants through the decades, most taken behind the scenes.

That's a very interesting thought. I've often wondered what the "Family Feud" board looks like from the back as well.
Which FF board? If you're talking about the Dawson and Combs era, I can provide photos of that Feranti-Packard board.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:29:51 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

aaron sica

Backstage shots
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 02:33:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 02:28 PM\']Which FF board? If you're talking about the Dawson and Combs era, I can provide photos of that Feranti-Packard board.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]81373[/snapback]
[/quote]

The main board...Specifically, what it looks like when they're loading it with answers...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 02:34:18 PM by aaron sica »

tvrandywest

Backstage shots
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 03:06:03 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 10:33 AM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 02:28 PM\']
Which FF board? If you're talking about the Dawson and Combs era, I can provide photos of that Feranti-Packard board.
[snapback]81373[/snapback]
[/quote]
The main board...Specifically, what it looks like when they're loading it with questions...
[snapback]81377[/snapback]
[/quote]
Can't help you there. Sadly there likely will be no NEW pictures of the Combs or Dawson boards. The last one Fremantle had in storage was just trashed. I'm sure some of our Invision family would like to have the whole story. Here's how I heard it from someone who was there:

When Old Navy shot their FF spots a couple of years ago, they contacted Fremantle who had been paying for storage for one entire set for all these years. They let the Old Navy commerial producers take all of it for the spot. The former GT electronics genius who had first hand experience with the boards was called to get it operational again. Because of the time and expense required to get it all up and running, the decision was made to simply reveal answers electronically and not use the board in the spots.

When that shoot was over Fremantle decided that, now that it had been located and removed from storage on someone else's dime, there would be little value in returning the set to languish for another decade or two or three while they paid for more storage. Instead, they instructed Old Navy's ad agency and commercial producers to simply trash it... which they did. The podiums and the set piece that held the trilon which housed the Feranti-Packard and question boards were all dismantled and placed into dumpsters. The electronics guy who had an emotional connection to the Feranti-Packard after years of servicing it through the Combs years and Dawson's return run on FF chose to salvage it.

Only recently the Feranti-Packard was again earmarked for disposal because of the wasted office space it was consuming with little or no chance of ever generating any income again. It was moved from the electronics genius' office to the personal storage of someone who felt that, having survived all these years, it was a cool artifact that deserved to be saved... at least until he also gets tired of it taking up space!

The only other remains from the earlier eras of FF reside as part of Bob Boden's collection. My (and "SplitSecond"'s) best recollection is that the two family podiums and the faceoff podium from the early Combs years have found a home with Bob. But that still doesn't help you with photos of the main board that housed the questions.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 03:21:53 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Desperado

Backstage shots
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 03:35:11 PM »
I can't believe that things like this would simply be "trashed."  Seems to me that those working in the industry would see the potential value in keeping these things around.  How about an exhibit in the Smithsonian?  They did it for Archie Bunker's chair and the M*A*S*H set.  Or the Museum of TV & Radio??  Or eBay, for chrissakes?  I don't exactly have the space for it, but if it's going to be trashed, then hell, I'd MAKE room.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Backstage shots
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 03:46:15 PM »
I've never understood why TV production companies would trash props, etc. either. Why not throw it on E-bay for a minimial fee, make your fan base happy, and make some money off them to boot?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

Backstage shots
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 03:58:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 03:06 PM\']But that still doesn't help you with photos of the main board that housed the questions.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]81385[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right, it doesn't, but you more than made up for the lack of pictures with that interesting story. How heartbreaking that the set was trashed...

tvrandywest

Backstage shots
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 04:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Desperado\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 11:35 AM\']I can't believe that things like this would simply be "trashed."  Seems to me that those working in the industry would see the potential value in keeping these things around.  How about an exhibit in the Smithsonian?  They did it for Archie Bunker's chair and the M*A*S*H set.  Or the Museum of TV & Radio??  Or eBay, for chrissakes?  I don't exactly have the space for it, but if it's going to be trashed, then hell, I'd MAKE room.
[snapback]81390[/snapback]
[/quote]
Where's the "value" in giving a set to the Smithsonian (assuming they would take a game show set) or to the MTV/R (I've tried; they want no items of any kind)? Neither they nor any museum pays cash or even Lee Press-On Nails for acquisitions of this sort, and the tax write-off would be minimal and probably trigger an audit!

You and Modor DO have a valid suggestion about having selected items fall into the hands of fans - Jeopardy! did it with the 4-foot high lighted letters in their logo some years back.

Hollywood has a deplorable history of casting off its past. As the era of the film moguls gave way to the corporate ownership of the film studios, sets, props and wardrobe were unceremoniously trashed. Some was sold in large lots at bargain basement prices. Even real estate was sold off or donated to goverment agencies. 20th Century Fox's huge acreage seen in a billion productions including "Planet of the Apes, "M*A*S*H" and "The Poseiden Adventure" is now the Malibu Creek State Park. Paramount's nearby massive land was saved from private development at the last minute in a deal with the Federal Government. It's now also park land open to the public. To the Feds' credit, they try to keep Paramount's filming legacy alive - the last surviving western street was rebuilt for tourists, and is still occasionally used for filming. The last major production of note to use the exteriors was "Dr/ Quinn, Medicine Woman"

The great sell-off started with MGM's great auction of props and wardrobe in the 1970s and the sale of their acres and acres of backlot with the standing sets from their glorious motion picture past. Incidentally, you can see some of MGM's old backlot and its exterior sets in the Bee Gees music video from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack... I think it's the video from "Stayin' Alive"... remember the train station and vacant building in which they are singing? That video was shot after the MGM property fell into disrepair, shortly before the land was sold off to a real estate developer for condos.

Among the most outspoken who have saved some of Hollywood's past is Debbie Reynolds who has hundreds of the magnificent costumes from the most famous and glamorous movies. And she's had most of it locked away in storage for decades because there was no place to display any of it. Back when MGM announced their intended sale of the backlot acreage she and a number of her friends suggested it be saved and operated as a profit generating drive-through museum; she even offered to collect the admission charge from the cars passing through!

Debbie's counterpart in game shows is Bob Boden, and may the lord bless him for filling his property with artifacts large and small. It's a thrill to see it all, but it's a hobby far more cumbersome and less profitable than collecting stamps.

You think this stuff has value? Make an offer for the FF Feranti-Packard board!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 04:43:22 PM by tvrandywest »

MikeK

• Martha!
Backstage shots
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 04:46:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 04:31 PM\']Among the most outspoken who have saved some of Hollywood's past is Debbie Reynolds who has hundreds of the magnificent costumes from the most famous and glamorous movies. And she had most of it locked away in storage for decades because there was no place to display any of it. When MGM announced their intended sale of the backlot acreage she and a number of her friends suggested it be saved and operated as a profit generating drive-through museum; she even offered to collect the admission charge from the cars passing through![/quote]
I recall seeing Debbie on a show on Travel Channel a few years ago, talking about her wardrobe collection and her plans to open a museum in either Vegas or LA.  Did that museum ever open?

Debbie's counterpart in game shows is Bob Boden, and may the lord bless him for filling his property with artifacts large and small. It's a thrill to see it all, but it's a hobby far more cumbersome and less profitable than collecting stamps.
Unless your name is Fred Wostbrock and you're getting $26 a photo on eBay. ;-)

dale_grass

Backstage shots
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 05:27:17 PM »
When Old Navy shot their FF spots a couple of years ago, they contacted Fremantle who had been paying for storage for one entire set for all these years. They let the Old Navy commerial producers take all of it for the spot. The former GT electronics genius who had first hand experience with the boards was called to get it operational again.

I can't find any clips of the commercial, but I remember clearly that the font used on the FM board was never used on Feud.  I know it changed on the show over the years; did they change it again, or was it the default font, or do I pay too much attention to small details?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 05:27:55 PM by dale_grass »

Desperado

Backstage shots
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »
Randy -

Thanks for your reply.  I know there's no "dollar" value in giving an old game show set to a museum.  I speaking more in terms of the sentimental/historical value of saving these things.  I think it's great that the Fox lot is now available to the public - I hope to get to Malibu State Park one of these days.  And I hope Bob Boden someday makes his collection available to the public, even if it's through a web site.  And I certainly understand why props, wardrobe, etc. from the early age of film/TV would be set aside.  The industry was in its infancy and undoubtedly no one imaged there would be a demand for them.  But in this age of technology, it's so easy to publish an online ad worldwide that I'd think it would be a no-brainer and an easy sell.

And as for the Feranti-Packard, if you can give me a contact, I'd be happy to make an offer...especially if she still works!!  :)

balexander.72@gmail.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 06:17:15 PM by Desperado »

LA the DJ

Backstage shots
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 06:31:14 PM »
I can't see why a production company wouldn't at least attempt to put such things up for auction online, where rabid fans might shell out big bucks for a piece of their favorite show.

It'd be a good way for them to make some cash off this property as opposed to just tossing it in a dumpster...

I mean, how much do you suppose a Plinko Chip would go for on eBay? Or a Feud podium? Or the Y from the old Jeopardy set? (Whoops)
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Jimmy Owen

Backstage shots
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 06:54:48 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 05:31 PM\']I can't see why a production company wouldn't at least attempt to put such things up for auction online, where rabid fans might shell out big bucks for a piece of their favorite show.

It'd be a good way for them to make some cash off this property as opposed to just tossing it in a dumpster...

I mean, how much do you suppose a Plinko Chip would go for on eBay? Or a Feud podium? Or the Y from the old Jeopardy set? (Whoops)
[snapback]81417[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure they want anybody to have them in most cases.  When I was a kid I asked one of the theater managers if he would be willing to part with some old movie posters and I was told that they were either to be returned to National Screen Service or destroyed, they were not supposed to get into the hands of the public at large.  Of course, some people didn't stick to the rules and a cottage industry has emerged. In my view, old set pieces are sorta like old garbage, you don't want it anymore and you don't really want anybody else to have it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dazztardly

Backstage shots
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 12:25:42 AM »
Being a techy nerd with game shows[and having fixed pinball machines for 6 1/2 years], I always enjoy looking at behind the scenes pictures. If any recent photos of the Ferranti-Packard FF board are being considered to be shot, I would be very appreciative to see them!

Having played part to a contribution of Bob Boden's collection, it'd be cool to see the other items that he has accquired over the years someday. :)

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 12:26:20 AM by dazztardly »