Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HDTV and game shows  (Read 3392 times)

LA the DJ

HDTV and game shows
« on: April 10, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about any of the shows being broadcast in HD any time soon? I would imagine Wheel, J, or Price will probably be the first, though apparently there was an episode of Double Dare 2000 done in HD, as it ran on Nick Gas today.
Which shows do you think might benefit most from an HD broadcast?

I ask in hopes that I'll be able to get HD service soon now that the painfully slow Adelphia is now a part of Time Warner and Comcast. My 57" HDTV has been waiting.

I suppose there's also zero chance of any of the GSN shows being reformatted in the way HDnet has redone Hogan's Heroes.

And for those who don't know what HD or HDTV is, here's Todd Newton with more:
Comcast HDTV
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

cmjb13

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 06:28 PM\']or Price will probably be the first[/quote]I wouldn't count on Price going to HDTV. An important factor, besides cost, is that a lot of the games "blemishes" would be more visible.

I do enjoy watching Price on the CBS-HD feed. Obviously, it's not HD, but looks pretty damn good.

though apparently there was an episode of Double Dare 2000 done in HD, as it ran on Nick Gas today.
Saw that today. Also aired a few months back. Apparently, they have a week's worth of shows like this.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

dzinkin

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 07:04:21 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 06:28 PM\']I suppose there's also zero chance of any of the GSN shows being reformatted in the way HDnet has redone Hogan's Heroes.
[snapback]81416[/snapback]
[/quote]
If my memory is correct, Mark Cuban was asked in an interview why he was showing so many reruns like Hogan's Heroes and Charlie's Angels on HDNet, and why they looked so good in HD; he responded that those shows were originally shot on film and therefore relatively easy to reformat for HD.  The same obviously can't be said for, say, Super Password and The Joker's Wild, which were shot on videotape.

LA the DJ

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 07:06:28 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 06:01 PM\'][quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 06:28 PM\']or Price will probably be the first[/quote]I wouldn't count on Price going to HDTV. An important factor, besides cost, is that a lot of the games "blemishes" would be more visible.

I do enjoy watching Price on the CBS-HD feed. Obviously, it's not HD, but looks pretty damn good.

though apparently there was an episode of Double Dare 2000 done in HD, as it ran on Nick Gas today.
Saw that today. Also aired a few months back. Apparently, they have a week's worth of shows like this.
[snapback]81422[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, according to what I read everything will be shown in HD eventually, so it might just keep the CBS graphics department on its toes.

As for DD2K, I find it interesting that it was done in HD so far back especially since I've not seen any promotion for any of Viacom's networks shows in HD. I don't know that there's even one available. Where was this originally shown?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

mystery7

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 10:56:35 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 06:06 PM\']Well, according to what I read everything will be shown in HD eventually, so it might just keep the CBS graphics department on its toes.
[snapback]81424[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, everything will be digital, not necessarily HD. Not all stations will be able to take the HD plunge, at least right away, so rather than showing full 16:9 HDTV, they can broadcast their regular signal digitally and have room in their signal to simulcast several other channels.

Timsterino

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 01:46:01 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 07:01 PM\'][quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 06:28 PM\']or Price will probably be the first[/quote]I wouldn't count on Price going to HDTV. An important factor, besides cost, is that a lot of the games "blemishes" would be more visible.
[/quote]

Well, you can certainly see the stains on the Tonight Show couch but it doesn't stop NBC from showing it in HDTV. I would not be surprised if Price was eventually shown in HDTV. CBS is already showing Y&R in HDTV.

gtbecbp

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:21:42 AM »
I'd love to see the day when TPiR would be in HD.  It would be something to behold.

Ben

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
HDTV and game shows
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 01:53:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gtbecbp\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 05:21 AM\']I'd love to see the day when TPiR would be in HD.  It would be something to behold.
[/quote]
Yes, every blemish on every wooden prop standing out in sharp relief...what an experience!

(Really, would you folks just THINK for a minute or two sometimes?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gtbecbp

HDTV and game shows
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 03:11:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 12:53 PM\'][quote name=\'gtbecbp\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 05:21 AM\']I'd love to see the day when TPiR would be in HD.  It would be something to behold.
[/quote]
Yes, every blemish on every wooden prop standing out in sharp relief...what an experience!

(Really, would you folks just THINK for a minute or two sometimes?)
[snapback]81504[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, Chris, I'm well aware of the increased detail and what it would entail, but the A/V geek in me wants it in HD.  

Ben