Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stump the Schwab is back  (Read 3869 times)

brianhenke

Stump the Schwab is back
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:56:23 AM »
Espn.com says that Stump The Schwab will return for Season 2 Monday night at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 01:56:38 AM by brianhenke »
The leaves start to change color in May?

bandit_bobby

Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 08:51:49 AM »
Actually, it's on ESPN2.

MikeK

• Martha!
Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 12:31:12 PM »
And if you can't see it Monday at 7:30, Stump the Schwab airs at least 10 more times between Monday night at 8 PM and Friday night.  At least StS is getting some exposure; I recall the first season eps. usually getting at most 2 additional airings during the week.

uncamark

Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 04:32:55 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 11:31 AM\']And if you can't see it Monday at 7:30, Stump the Schwab airs at least 10 more times between Monday night at 8 PM and Friday night.  At least StS is getting some exposure; I recall the first season eps. usually getting at most 2 additional airings during the week.
[snapback]81344[/snapback]
[/quote]

And that's not the only new game show on the Worldwide Leader in Sports this week.

Tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. ET, "Teammates" premieres--it's basically "TNG" with teammates instead of married couples (guess someone at ESPN had seen that NFL Network promo).  It's followed by admittedly non-game shows "ESPN Bowling Night," which from an EW description sounds like "Celebrity Bowling Showdown," and "Battle of the Gridiron Stars Presented by Goodyear," which sounds like "Battle of the Network Stars" with NFL players--and closer to the original (tug-of-war, relay races) than that "Fear Factor"-ish NBC revival of the show last year.

goongas

Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 08:15:24 PM »
I am surprised how much I enjoyed it.  I hadn't watched the first season, but I think they revamped the show.  The second showing at 8 had a shoutout to Name That Tune, as they play a modified version of the bidding round (they are bidding for the number of clues to be given to identify a sports subject).  My only complaint is the final round is too long.

Neumms

Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:38:20 AM »
"One time for the biggie people"? Boy, that Stu Scott is no Dennis James, let me tell ya.

But, wow, are the players and the Schwab good. Tough questions--crazy tough, in asking for specific years. Good show. Final round is a bit long, but still compelling, I thought.

One more Stu gripe--he dings the players for answering too slowly, but there doesn't seem to be a timekeeper or time limit.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:05:29 AM »
As a sports trivia buff, I was somewhat impressed with StS in its first outing (although I could have done without the bonus round the first time around). This time, they do it a little better, but the problem is the bonus round still needs fixing. It's pretty much the same, with the exception of the poker chips and the five point questions. I always wondered if a Beat The Geeks style bonus round could work somewhere else...I think for some reason that Stump the Schwab could be a show where you could use it again.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 07:59:58 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 03:32 PM\']Tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. ET, "Teammates" premieres--it's basically "TNG" with teammates instead of married couples [/quote]

Oh good gravy Marie... Stuart Scott's hosting this too?! What the hell does ESPN have against Kenny Mayne? He would've been perfect for this.
@lambertman

tyshaun1

Stump the Schwab is back
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 08:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Apr 12 2005, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 03:32 PM\']Tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. ET, "Teammates" premieres--it's basically "TNG" with teammates instead of married couples [/quote]

Oh good gravy Marie... Stuart Scott's hosting this too?! What the hell does ESPN have against Kenny Mayne? He would've been perfect for this.
[snapback]81653[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually, it seems to me that Stuart is a better fit on this show than "StS", simply because he is forced to do a lot less talking (for him, it's not so good, for me, it's great!) Also of note, the show is produced by the same company as "Dream Job", which may also explain his reappearance.

Tyshaun