Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kingworld 'Hollywood Squares'  (Read 3057 times)

The Pyramids

Kingworld 'Hollywood Squares'
« on: April 10, 2005, 10:40:12 PM »
For most of its run the last 'Hollywood Squares' was not on here. I know the '01-'02 season, and by trades I have a good sample of the last two seasons.

Anyway I have Peter Marshall's interview w/ tvgameshows.net saved. I thought Peter was being a little hard on the show vis a vis the risque jokes.

Was the show worse in the beginng  and that's what Peter had judged the show on? Is the '01 - '02 season, and the last two seasons tammer by comaparison?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:40:47 PM by PaulD »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:50:01 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Apr 10 2005, 09:40 PM\']For most of its run the last 'Hollywood Squares' was not on here. I know the '01-'02 season, and by trades I have a good sample of the last two seasons.

Anyway I have Peter Marshall's interview w/ tvgameshows.net saved. I thought Peter was being a little hard on the show vis a vis the risque jokes.

Was the show worse in the beginng  and that's what Peter had judged the show on? Is the '01 - '02 season, and the last two seasons tammer by comaparison?
[snapback]81449[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, to be worse, it would've had to be bad, which I don't think it ever was. I remember always trying to be home from school to catch the show (came on at 5:30 pm for the first few years). I thought it was a very well-produced show, and was a huge fan for all six years. I agree that Peter was too harsh.

IIRC, one complaint that Peter had was that the show was too loud, mainly the fact that the audience constantly cheered every time a star was called. Of course, he did the show for 15 years, and AFAIK the stars never got cheers. Now, I will admit that the show was more energetic during the H2 era, but I actually liked the feel of the show. It seemed like it was some sort of party, and the viewer was just looking in. The H2 years just seemed to give the impression that everyone was there to have fun, and the energy didn't seem forced (like when they DOUBLE THE POINTS!!! KUM-BY-YAH!!! KAZAAM!!!). Fonzie and Michael Levitt did a great job.

And if Peter thought HSq/H2 was too loud, I'd love to hear his thoughts on Feud.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 10:53:26 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ITSBRY

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 12:50:10 PM »

I heard Peter on "Bob & Tom" last year...this and a couple of other comments he's made in interviews make him seem to be a bit of a whiner. Like he's bitter or something (maybe rightfully so, who knows?).

He slammed H2 on the B&T interview and went on and on about the Convy/3rd Degree debacle. His tone throughout the entire interview seemed very negative.  Then he turns around and does H2 to promote his book. He was very candid about how he felt about hosting H2 again and the picture wasn't pretty, yet he admitted that he did it just to hock his book.

It's just my impression, but he seems like an arrogant windbag.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 08:51:05 PM »
I too always liked HS98/H2...one of the late-'90s revivals that DID live up to the hype (probably the only one).  It was always watchable, except for the Most Exciting 60 Seconds... era.  That and when a certain blond Canadian actress stopped appearing ;-)  The show jumped back when it became H2, which had a better and more relevant bonus round and of course the two Game Show Weeks.  I wasn't the fan I was in the first two years of the show, but it was still solid.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 09:01:49 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Apr 11 2005, 11:50 AM\']He slammed H2 on the B&T interview and went on and on about the Convy/3rd Degree debacle. His tone throughout the entire interview seemed very negative.  Then he turns around and does H2 to promote his book. He was very candid about how he felt about hosting H2 again and the picture wasn't pretty, yet he admitted that he did it just to hock his book.

It's just my impression, but he seems like an arrogant windbag.
[snapback]81500[/snapback]
[/quote]
I don't think the book sold very well anyway - if it had, there would have been a paperback edition of one kind or another.  And to be honest, I don't think adding the CD added significantly to the sales, but it probably added significantly to the manufacturing costs.  (They probably cost about 40 cents apiece to make, and another 15 cents apiece to put in the books, which is a decent chunk of the total manufacturing costs.)

That aside, I'll say that I liked the book a lot more than the Eubanks book (and not just because I got a free copy).  It stuck to what would interest people most about Marshall, was gossipy without settling too many old scores, and didn't go on too long.  (Although Eubanks' book must have been cut significantly from the advance reading copy I got - it's in Amazon as 248 pages; my copy is nearly 400 without photos.)

We may be disappointed by host biographies when we learn they're not all smiles off camera, too.

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
He was very candid about how he felt about hosting H2 again and the picture wasn't pretty, yet he admitted that he did it just to hock his book.

That was the impression I got when I talked to Peter in NYC 2 1/2 yrs ago...he didn't seem too enthused when I asked him about what it was like returning for their GS Week that aired in Dec. 02, though he did admit he enjoyed getting to host again for one day that wk.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")