Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Filling in for John Charles Daly...  (Read 3739 times)

DrBear

Filling in for John Charles Daly...
« on: April 13, 2005, 08:47:58 AM »
The other night, Goodson and Todman were on What's My Line and Mark Goodson mentioned that, in nearly six years (to that point) of What's My Line, John Daly had never missed a broadcast. Was that the case for the full CBS run?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:49:49 AM »
Nope.  Three substitute hosts: Bennett Cerf himself (1957), Clifton Fadiman (1958, 2 shows), and Eamonn Andrews, the British WML? host (1959).

I SO need to get out more.

Terry K

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:56:58 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 07:47 AM\']The other night, Goodson and Todman were on What's My Line and Mark Goodson mentioned that, in nearly six years (to that point) of What's My Line, John Daly had never missed a broadcast. Was that the case for the full CBS run?
[snapback]81702[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bear in mind that JCD was the Peter Jennings of his day for ABC, so he inevitably did have to miss a few shows due to news breaking and so on, but yes, its remarkable that he didn't miss very many.  Of course, I recall they did at one point tape several shows ahead of time (this was primarily for summer, but I suspect they did this when they knew JCD would be unavailable, like the Republican/Democratic conventions, etc..)

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 09:56 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 07:47 AM\']The other night, Goodson and Todman were on What's My Line and Mark Goodson mentioned that, in nearly six years (to that point) of What's My Line, John Daly had never missed a broadcast. Was that the case for the full CBS run?
[snapback]81702[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bear in mind that JCD was the Peter Jennings of his day for ABC, so he inevitably did have to miss a few shows due to news breaking and so on, but yes, its remarkable that he didn't miss very many.  Of course, I recall they did at one point tape several shows ahead of time (this was primarily for summer, but I suspect they did this when they knew JCD would be unavailable, like the Republican/Democratic conventions, etc..)
[snapback]81720[/snapback]
[/quote]

However, back then the anchormen weren't running all over the country on every big news story--and ABC would probably not consider calling him in on a Sunday night other than a major emergency, even if he was the titular "director of news and public affairs."  Mr. Daly stayed in New York almost every week and stayed out of the ABC studios Sunday night, making him available between 10 and 11 p.m. for "WML?"

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 09:28:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 06:49 AM\']Bennett Cerf himself (1957),
[snapback]81708[/snapback]
[/quote]

I saw that episode! And I was impressed at how calm and relaxed Bennett was.  
In fact, my husband had to do a double-take to notice it wasn't JCD sitting there.
I thought he did a wonderful job!