Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Richard Dawson Question...  (Read 8527 times)

Kevin Prather

Richard Dawson Question...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 05:17:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 02:10 PM\']For the game....show me.....PAMPERS!
[/quote]

[font=\"Times\"]LINE[/font]
OF THE
DAY

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 05:58:50 PM »
Wasn't there a time when MG would double up on the tapings (perhaps do 10 shows over a couple days) so Gene wouldn't have to fly from NY so often?  I don't remember the exact time when Richard left MG.  Was it before or after the death of Bob Crane?

The introduction of the "Star Wheel" probably didn't help matters.  Why fix something that wasn't broken?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 06:14:48 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TV Favorites

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
Let's say that maybe the taping went a little long and took them 6 hours to get done.  I assume that Feud taped 5 or 6 episodes a day in 1978...is that correct (5 ABC shows + 1 nighttime show).  We know that they would tape two weeks worth of Match Game episodes in a 2 day weekend to better accommodate Gene.  Say each taping day took 6-7 hours and he would work up to 3 days taping a week regularly, he'd only be working 21 or so hours a week.  Even lower on the weeks that Match Game didn't tape.  Heck, I'm one of the biggest Dawson fans but I don't think he really had anything to complain about...even on his busiest week, he still worked fewer hours than most "normal" people work in a week on a full-time job.  Tell me that I only had to work 21 hours for the kind of salary Richard was getting and I'd be there smiling!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 06:19:46 PM »
Wasn't there a time when MG would double up on the tapings (perhaps do 10 shows over a couple days)
The schedule I just posted gives you six shows in one day. Doing the math, you get 12 shows in one weekend. That's the regular schedule, not a "doubled-up" schedule. Subtract one show per taping day prior to MGPM. Gene Rayburn's decision to maintain his residence on Cape Cod was not factored into the taping schedule.

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 07:25:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 04:58 PM\']I don't remember the exact time when Richard left MG.  Was it before or after the death of Bob Crane?

[snapback]81782[/snapback]
[/quote]

Crane died on 6/29/78, and Richard's last MG shows taped around August or September I think.

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »
[quote name=\'TV Favorites\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 04:59 PM\']Heck, I'm one of the biggest Dawson fans but I don't think he really had anything to complain about...even on his busiest week, he still worked fewer hours than most "normal" people work in a week on a full-time job.  Tell me that I only had to work 21 hours for the kind of salary Richard was getting and I'd be there smiling!
[snapback]81783[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree totally...I'm sure that 95% of Americans would be smiling 24/7, IF, for 21 hours a week:

1) They were making Dawson's salary then (or even now -- still probably more than what some of us make today without adjustments for inflation),

2)  They didn't have to answer a phone, make copies, do door to door sales, or meet & exceed monthly quotas.

3) Get paid to play a game for nearly 5 years and nothing else!!!

Hell, I'd be smiling if I had to work *42* hours a week doing all of the above!!!  Plus, I wouldn't be hiding in seclusion in a large house surrounded by a 15 foot wall in Beverly Hills, either.

--Tim

saussage

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 11:06:25 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 04:17 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 02:10 PM\']For the game....show me.....PAMPERS!
[/quote]

[font=\"Times\"]LINE[/font]
OF THE
DAY

[snapback]81777[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had something much funnier to say but I wouldn't want to get kicked off this board. But, I don't think that pampers would ever be on the board since it's a specific name of a manufacturer. <picky picky picky>

For the game....show me.....DIAPERS! Who knows... maybe pampers would've been accepted :)

Going back on topic, yes Richard was untolerable and things didn't get better as we look back 25 or so years ago. Backgammon was a last resort to make Richard happy. Since Richard loved to play backgammon, members of the MG crew would play backgammon matches with him.

Can we say, the plan didn't pan out? :)
And, we can all say that the rest is history.

Saussage
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 11:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 10:06 PM\']I had something much funnier to say but I wouldn't want to get kicked off this board. But, I don't think that pampers would ever be on the board since it's a specific name of a manufacturer. <picky picky picky>

For the game....show me.....DIAPERS! Who knows... maybe pampers would've been accepted :)[/quote]

Sorry to do this but whooooooooosh! ;-)

As for your caution for getting kicked off, don't worry. It's not much that can't be said, just don't say "Ottinger" and "cue ball" in the same sentence. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 04:58:40 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 10:22 PM\']As for your caution for getting kicked off, don't worry. It's not much that can't be said, just don't say "Ottinger" and "cue ball" in the same sentence. ;-)
[/quote]
Or call someone a F-wit.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

jmangin

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:29 AM »
These are all great points and perhaps I was wrong in my initial post.  I guess what I'm really trying to emphasize is that while most of the blame can be placed on Richard, some must fall elswhere with Goodson.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 14 2005, 01:58 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 13 2005, 10:22 PM\']As for your caution for getting kicked off, don't worry. It's not much that can't be said, just don't say "Ottinger" and "cue ball" in the same sentence. ;-)
[/quote]
Or call someone a F-wit.
[snapback]81853[/snapback]
[/quote]

Or "AGREE :D :D :D" with someone.