Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stupid PYL Question  (Read 5483 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Stupid PYL Question
« on: August 06, 2003, 09:46:12 AM »
When did PYL stop using poems as bumpers to commercials?  Also; what is the name of the song used in the background segment where they show the whammy on the roof? Thanks...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

Stupid PYL Question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 10:04:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 6 2003, 08:46 AM\'] When did PYL stop using poems as bumpers to commercials?  Also; what is the name of the song used in the background segment where they show the whammy on the roof? Thanks... [/quote]
 PYL started showing viewer-submitted poems going into commercial breaks on some episodes in Fall 1984, I'm not sure they ever stopped doing so, though they might not be doing it on the episodes airing right now as the home viewer Sweepstakes ate up some of their time. Reading and displaying viewer poems seems to be something they did only when time permitted.

tyshaun1

Stupid PYL Question
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 11:03:16 AM »
PYL began posting viewer poems on the screen in October '84. During this current HPS, they cut them out for time purposes (as Zach said). They will return immediately after this Home Player Sweepstakes is over (after next week's PYL block), and will continue up until they begin doing prize descriptions before the first board round in September 1985. God I need a non-PYL life! :)

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: August 06, 2003, 11:04:05 AM by tyshaun1 »

zachhoran

Stupid PYL Question
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 11:07:43 AM »
THey might as well have kept the Whammy poems in the show, and instead of dropping those drop out the insanely easy questions the three players sometimes miss. The poems are no worse than some of the players' knowledge :)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Stupid PYL Question
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 12:51:58 PM »
THey might as well have kept the Whammy poems in the show, and instead of dropping those drop out the insanely easy questions the three players sometimes miss. The poems are no worse than some of the players' knowledge :)

Actually I rather like it when the contestants miss an easy question (but that's the sadist side of me talking).

However, it should be noted that the poems aren't necessarily being snipped because of the HPS.  Usually, the reason the poems get snipped is that either Round 1 or Round 2 runs long (I'm reasonably sure that at least one of the marathon shows last week had a poem in between rounds, although I'd have to recheck my videotape to be positive).  The poems, the opening banter between Tomarken and the contestants and even the opening highlights are prime candidates to get edited down to cover for a long spin round.  Case in point--Tomarken's conversation with Jenny Jones on the two days in which she won revealed very little about her (what she did, etc.) because the two Round 2's were so competitive that the opening conversations had to be snipped.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

Stupid PYL Question
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 01:50:36 PM »
I kind of liked it when they missed a bunch of questions.  I enjoyed seeing Peter's reactions when they went to the fourth question with very few spins - especially late in the show's run - it was very funny.

With the home viewer poems, to the best of my recollection, they went through periods where they used them every day and other periods where you didn't see them for a few weeks.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!